Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Are you saying stand pat with Ludwick?

Or stand pat with no starting LF, but using bench players?

The idea that they should go into next season with Stubbs, Heisey, and XPaul in LF and CF is, well, disturbing.
    He's holding out for Myers or Stanton.

It's going to be a ling off-season holding out for that.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Are you saying stand pat with Ludwick?

Or stand pat with no starting LF, but using bench players?

The idea that they should go into next season with Stubbs, Heisey, and XPaul in LF and CF is, well, disturbing.
    I still didn't state it correctly.

I kinda of wish we could simply re-sign Ludwick because we don't have to give up any prospects.

I usually don't wince at trading prospects but as I said on another thread, I really think this upcoming season will tell us where Hamilton, Corcino, and Cingrani stand in terms of their major league future. Even Gregorius for that matter.

With Arroyo's 2014 status unresolved, we will need a young starter.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    He's holding out for Myers or Stanton.

It's going to be a ling off-season holding out for that.
    I take it that's Chinese for "long"?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    In 2010.
    less 30 OBP points. Kind of a big deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

BJ Upton seems like a guy that would be able to adjust and develop again into an even better hitter. When you look at his raw tools, it's not a bad consideration, even with the low OBP, because of all the xbh he produces. However, the cost is likely too high, IMO, unless payroll is going to 110 million within 2-3 years. I'd like to keep Latos and be able to extend Chapman/Cueto later on as well. I just can't see a major FA signing without payroll going up further and longer than anyone has seriously stated it could.

And we'll apparently use Upton as our center fielder, even though he's only played RF in the majors, according to a Sun Deck idea
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Evan Longoria extends through 2023 - http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/86...lion-extension
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#HpVO3Mc8JcCtQp5r.99

Giants Likely To Non-Tender Brian Wilson
    By Steve Adams [November 26 at 8:47pm CST]
    Brian Wilson has saved 171 games for the Giants dating back to 2006, but now, following his Tommy John surgery earlier this year, it appears likely that he'll be non-tendered, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.

As Schulman notes, teams must pay arbitration-eligible players at least 80 percent of their previous salary, which would mean the minimum offer the Giants can make Wilson is $6.8MM. That's a hefty price tag for a closer coming off Tommy John, even if he was elite at his peak. The Giants would like to non-tender Wilson and re-sign him to a one-year deal with a lower base salary, but Wilson isn't as open to that scenario.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#F9P9gyvoxPHxPCDu.99

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#HpVO3Mc8JcCtQp5r.99

Giants Likely To Non-Tender Brian Wilson
    By Steve Adams [November 26 at 8:47pm CST]
    Brian Wilson has saved 171 games for the Giants dating back to 2006, but now, following his Tommy John surgery earlier this year, it appears likely that he'll be non-tendered, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.

As Schulman notes, teams must pay arbitration-eligible players at least 80 percent of their previous salary, which would mean the minimum offer the Giants can make Wilson is $6.8MM. That's a hefty price tag for a closer coming off Tommy John, even if he was elite at his peak. The Giants would like to non-tender Wilson and re-sign him to a one-year deal with a lower base salary, but Wilson isn't as open to that scenario.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#F9P9gyvoxPHxPCDu.99
    Wilson's surgery date was April 19th. I'd guess he won't be ready to appear on the big league roster until June or so. He's likely to be in the "first year back, not all the way back to top form" mode for all of 2013. Can't blame the Giants for passing on paying him $7 Million. Almost identical situation to Ryan Madson (surgery date 4/11) and Joakin Soria (4/2). Its why I hope the Reds pass on them as well unless its a real cheap deal for less than $1 Million guaranteed in 2013. Sign a guy ike that, and you'll still need a closer for 2013 IMO. See the Rangers deal with Joe Nathan and the fact that Neftali Feliz had to be their anchor in the pen for all of Nathan's first season.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Scott Feldman gets $6 million from the Cubs. The market is getting ridiculous again after a few years of not rewarding mediocre players with gabs of money.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Scott Feldman gets $6 million from the Cubs. The market is getting ridiculous again after a few years of not rewarding mediocre players with gabs of money.
    Dave Cameron does not agree with your assertion in his article.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...other-bargain/

His peripherals seem solid and he probably could be sold high to a contender at the deadline if he is "luckier" next year and maintains his great K:BB ratio.

It's not that Feldman is bad, but rather that I would have thought $3-4 million would be more than enough to land him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Pay for roughly 1 win for 1 year is hardly a risk. That said, I'd be shocked if he finishes the year in Cubbie blue. Come June/July, some contender will need a guy to fill a rotation spot and 100 innings from a vet with a 4.40 ERA is suddenly worth a B prospect.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Looks like the Pirates are about to pay Russell Martin a buttload of money to basically be a rich man's Miguel Olivo.

Looks like the Pirates are about to pay Russell Martin a buttload of money to basically be a rich man's Miguel Olivo.
    I thought the same thing. Heck of a lot of money for a backup quality catcher.

Turn Off Ads?