Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 224

Thread: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

  1. #166
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,724

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    And Arroyo has to be replaced after next season and you've just traded away his potential replacements. And inexpensive has to be considered since it's the Reds.

    If Bailey is our third best starter, and Leake might be the odd man out if Chapman were moved to the rotation, why would KC want Leake over Bailey? makes no sense to me.

    Bailey trending upwards. Leake had a season trending downwards.

    Sure, give them Leake instead. If they are that stupid, let them be.
    He's not suggesting Leake instead of Bailey. He's suggesting Leake, Corcino & Lotzkar instead of Bailey.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #167
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,096

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    And Arroyo has to be replaced after next season and you've just traded away his potential replacements. And inexpensive has to be considered since it's the Reds.

    If Bailey is our third best starter, and Leake might be the odd man out if Chapman were moved to the rotation, why would KC want Leake over Bailey? makes no sense to me.

    Bailey trending upwards. Leake had a season trending downwards.

    Sure, give them Leake instead. If they are that stupid, let them be.
    What indication has Arroyo given that next year will be his last in Cincinnati? Arroyo has taken a considerable liking to Cincinnati (of course still behind Boston), but he definitely enjoys his celebrity status here. Furthermore, his style of pitching is the kind that ages well. I am not the biggest Bronson fan on this board, but I will give credit where credit is due and Arroyo pitched well above my expectations last year. I expect him to be a solid bottom the rotation starter again in 2013 & I think that we would certainly be the most likely team for him again in 2014. I would say there is a better chance that he is in Cincinnati's rotation in 2014 than he is not.

    Even if he is not, the Reds would still have Cingrani waiting in the wings and who knows who else is going to develop throughout all of 2013. Sure, we are trading away depth, but my proposed deal would still allow the Reds to have backup plans and some depth, just not as much.

    As I stated in my last post, it is not that KC would want Leake straight up more than Bailey, it's that they want lots of pitching that is major league ready and Corcino, Leake and Lotzkar could hypothetically fill three rotation spots for cheap where Bailey would be more expensively filling one rotation spot when the Royals aren't going to compete for anything in 2013 anyways.

  4. #168
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,759

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Question to everyone. What is a good indication that a prospect will be likely to succeed? Is it a low strikeout rate like Oscar Taveras has (11% I believe) or is it a guy that has a ton of power like Myers does? Is there any one stat I can look at and say "this guy is going to be great"? What is something that translates to the MLB level?

    I think if anyone really knew that they'd be a GM, and a successful one at that.

    It's never that easy, or everyone would be doing it.

  5. #169
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    What indication has Arroyo given that next year will be his last in Cincinnati? Arroyo has taken a considerable liking to Cincinnati (of course still behind Boston), but he definitely enjoys his celebrity status here. Furthermore, his style of pitching is the kind that ages well. I am not the biggest Bronson fan on this board, but I will give credit where credit is due and Arroyo pitched well above my expectations last year. I expect him to be a solid bottom the rotation starter again in 2013 & I think that we would certainly be the most likely team for him again in 2014. I would say there is a better chance that he is in Cincinnati's rotation in 2014 than he is not.

    Even if he is not, the Reds would still have Cingrani waiting in the wings and who knows who else is going to develop throughout all of 2013. Sure, we are trading away depth, but my proposed deal would still allow the Reds to have backup plans and some depth, just not as much.

    As I stated in my last post, it is not that KC would want Leake straight up more than Bailey, it's that they want lots of pitching that is major league ready and Corcino, Leake and Lotzkar could hypothetically fill three rotation spots for cheap where Bailey would be more expensively filling one rotation spot when the Royals aren't going to compete for anything in 2013 anyways.
    I like Arroyo. And I'm probably in the minority.

    My comment simply was based on his contract being over after 2013.

    While I'd like to see the Reds sign his rubber arm, I think the contracts of Votto, BP, and the impending extensions of the starting rotation and other players in the near future will impede being able to re-sign Bronson. Just my opinion. Therefore, a cheap farm system developed Reds pitching prospect, such as Corcino or Cingrani, is probably the replacement for Arroyo.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  6. #170
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,096

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I like Arroyo. And I'm probably in the minority.

    My comment simply was based on his contract being over after 2013.

    While I'd like to see the Reds sign his rubber arm, I think the contracts of Votto, BP, and the impending extensions of the starting rotation and other players in the near future will impede being able to re-sign Bronson. Just my opinion. Therefore, a cheap farm system developed Reds pitching prospect, such as Corcino or Cingrani, is probably the replacement for Arroyo.
    Yes, a cheap replacement for Arroyo, if needed, would be nice. We would still have Cingrani and the rest of the farm system minus Lotzkar and Corcino. We have pitching depth for the first time in a long time. I believe the Reds should trade some of that pitching depth to fill a major hole. That is my point.

  7. #171
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,694
    On an unrelated note, recent AL Cy Young award winner Zach Stewart was just DFA'd by the Red Sox.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  8. #172
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    On an unrelated note, recent AL Cy Young award winner Zach Stewart was just DFA'd by the Red Sox.
    If the Reds sign him to a minor league contract, does that mean the Reds officially won the Scott Rolen trade? I'm sure they'll be a thread about it.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  9. #173
    Moderator Gallen5862's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wilmington,NC
    Posts
    6,708

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/


    Scott Rolen has told the Reds he may play next season, but he isn't ready to make a final decision tweets Stark. The team wants him back in some role.

  10. #174
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,089

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    On an unrelated note, recent AL Cy Young award winner Zach Stewart was just DFA'd by the Red Sox.
    Wow! Not everyday you can pick up a guy who's going to win multiple Cy Youngs off the waiver wire! Go get 'em Walt
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. #175
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,245

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/


    Scott Rolen has told the Reds he may play next season, but he isn't ready to make a final decision tweets Stark. The team wants him back in some role.
    I don't have a problem with that. I had been wondering if he'd be invited to Spring Training as a special instructor, at least.

  12. #176
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,492

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Question to everyone. What is a good indication that a prospect will be likely to succeed? Is it a low strikeout rate like Oscar Taveras has (11% I believe) or is it a guy that has a ton of power like Myers does? Is there any one stat I can look at and say "this guy is going to be great"? What is something that translates to the MLB level?
    One stat? No. But here are the three most important things in a hitting prospect for me:

    Age - the younger for the level, the better
    A 22-year-old in AAA with a .750 OPS is likely a better prospect than a 26-year-old with an .850 OPS in the same league.

    BB to K ratio - the more walks and less strikeouts, the better
    Few walks and many strikeouts is a big red flag and indicates the player will likely struggle against more advanced pitching.

    Isolated power - the higher, the better
    Good contact and plate discipline won't get you very far if you can't drive the ball.

    Also, it's important to note whether the player's numbers are inflated by the Pacific Coast League since it's such a notorious hitter's league.

  13. #177
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,807

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I don't have a problem with that. I had been wondering if he'd be invited to Spring Training as a special instructor, at least.
    I figured he'd hang em up. Honestly, he was pretty decent down the stretch last year. Frazier in left and a platoon of Rolen/H-Rod might be a decent option if Walt can't find a left fielder.

  14. #178
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,759

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I figured he'd hang em up. Honestly, he was pretty decent down the stretch last year.

    Whe Votto went down and many felt we'd slip hard in the standings, Rolen came back and (effectively) took his place, and he, Frazier and Ludwick all OPS'ed about .900 and carried us well into the lead.

  15. #179
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,694
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  16. #180
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,089

    Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Ugh what a tease. Was hoping this was for Justin. No interest in BJ, he's a glorified (and expensive) Stubbs.
    Go BLUE!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25