Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    And Arroyo has to be replaced after next season and you've just traded away his potential replacements. And inexpensive has to be considered since it's the Reds.

If Bailey is our third best starter, and Leake might be the odd man out if Chapman were moved to the rotation, why would KC want Leake over Bailey? makes no sense to me.

Bailey trending upwards. Leake had a season trending downwards.

Sure, give them Leake instead. If they are that stupid, let them be.
    He's not suggesting Leake instead of Bailey. He's suggesting Leake, Corcino & Lotzkar instead of Bailey.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

And Arroyo has to be replaced after next season and you've just traded away his potential replacements. And inexpensive has to be considered since it's the Reds.

If Bailey is our third best starter, and Leake might be the odd man out if Chapman were moved to the rotation, why would KC want Leake over Bailey? makes no sense to me.

Bailey trending upwards. Leake had a season trending downwards.

Sure, give them Leake instead. If they are that stupid, let them be.
    What indication has Arroyo given that next year will be his last in Cincinnati? Arroyo has taken a considerable liking to Cincinnati (of course still behind Boston), but he definitely enjoys his celebrity status here. Furthermore, his style of pitching is the kind that ages well. I am not the biggest Bronson fan on this board, but I will give credit where credit is due and Arroyo pitched well above my expectations last year. I expect him to be a solid bottom the rotation starter again in 2013 & I think that we would certainly be the most likely team for him again in 2014. I would say there is a better chance that he is in Cincinnati's rotation in 2014 than he is not.

Even if he is not, the Reds would still have Cingrani waiting in the wings and who knows who else is going to develop throughout all of 2013. Sure, we are trading away depth, but my proposed deal would still allow the Reds to have backup plans and some depth, just not as much.

As I stated in my last post, it is not that KC would want Leake straight up more than Bailey, it's that they want lots of pitching that is major league ready and Corcino, Leake and Lotzkar could hypothetically fill three rotation spots for cheap where Bailey would be more expensively filling one rotation spot when the Royals aren't going to compete for anything in 2013 anyways.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Question to everyone. What is a good indication that a prospect will be likely to succeed? Is it a low strikeout rate like Oscar Taveras has (11% I believe) or is it a guy that has a ton of power like Myers does? Is there any one stat I can look at and say "this guy is going to be great"? What is something that translates to the MLB level?

I think if anyone really knew that they'd be a GM, and a successful one at that.

It's never that easy, or everyone would be doing it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    What indication has Arroyo given that next year will be his last in Cincinnati? Arroyo has taken a considerable liking to Cincinnati (of course still behind Boston), but he definitely enjoys his celebrity status here. Furthermore, his style of pitching is the kind that ages well. I am not the biggest Bronson fan on this board, but I will give credit where credit is due and Arroyo pitched well above my expectations last year. I expect him to be a solid bottom the rotation starter again in 2013 & I think that we would certainly be the most likely team for him again in 2014. I would say there is a better chance that he is in Cincinnati's rotation in 2014 than he is not.

Even if he is not, the Reds would still have Cingrani waiting in the wings and who knows who else is going to develop throughout all of 2013. Sure, we are trading away depth, but my proposed deal would still allow the Reds to have backup plans and some depth, just not as much.

As I stated in my last post, it is not that KC would want Leake straight up more than Bailey, it's that they want lots of pitching that is major league ready and Corcino, Leake and Lotzkar could hypothetically fill three rotation spots for cheap where Bailey would be more expensively filling one rotation spot when the Royals aren't going to compete for anything in 2013 anyways.
    I like Arroyo. And I'm probably in the minority.

My comment simply was based on his contract being over after 2013.

While I'd like to see the Reds sign his rubber arm, I think the contracts of Votto, BP, and the impending extensions of the starting rotation and other players in the near future will impede being able to re-sign Bronson. Just my opinion. Therefore, a cheap farm system developed Reds pitching prospect, such as Corcino or Cingrani, is probably the replacement for Arroyo.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like Arroyo. And I'm probably in the minority.

My comment simply was based on his contract being over after 2013.

While I'd like to see the Reds sign his rubber arm, I think the contracts of Votto, BP, and the impending extensions of the starting rotation and other players in the near future will impede being able to re-sign Bronson. Just my opinion. Therefore, a cheap farm system developed Reds pitching prospect, such as Corcino or Cingrani, is probably the replacement for Arroyo.
    Yes, a cheap replacement for Arroyo, if needed, would be nice. We would still have Cingrani and the rest of the farm system minus Lotzkar and Corcino. We have pitching depth for the first time in a long time. I believe the Reds should trade some of that pitching depth to fill a major hole. That is my point.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    On an unrelated note, recent AL Cy Young award winner Zach Stewart was just DFA'd by the Red Sox.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    On an unrelated note, recent AL Cy Young award winner Zach Stewart was just DFA'd by the Red Sox.
    If the Reds sign him to a minor league contract, does that mean the Reds officially won the Scott Rolen trade? I'm sure they'll be a thread about it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Scott Rolen has told the Reds he may play next season, but he isn't ready to make a final decision tweets Stark. The team wants him back in some role.

Wow! Not everyday you can pick up a guy who's going to win multiple Cy Youngs off the waiver wire! Go get 'em Walt
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Scott Rolen has told the Reds he may play next season, but he isn't ready to make a final decision tweets Stark. The team wants him back in some role.
    I don't have a problem with that. I had been wondering if he'd be invited to Spring Training as a special instructor, at least.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Question to everyone. What is a good indication that a prospect will be likely to succeed? Is it a low strikeout rate like Oscar Taveras has (11% I believe) or is it a guy that has a ton of power like Myers does? Is there any one stat I can look at and say "this guy is going to be great"? What is something that translates to the MLB level?
    One stat? No. But here are the three most important things in a hitting prospect for me:

Age - the younger for the level, the better
    A 22-year-old in AAA with a .750 OPS is likely a better prospect than a 26-year-old with an .850 OPS in the same league.

BB to K ratio - the more walks and less strikeouts, the better
    Few walks and many strikeouts is a big red flag and indicates the player will likely struggle against more advanced pitching.

Isolated power - the higher, the better
    Good contact and plate discipline won't get you very far if you can't drive the ball.

Also, it's important to note whether the player's numbers are inflated by the Pacific Coast League since it's such a notorious hitter's league.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I don't have a problem with that. I had been wondering if he'd be invited to Spring Training as a special instructor, at least.
    I figured he'd hang em up. Honestly, he was pretty decent down the stretch last year. Frazier in left and a platoon of Rolen/H-Rod might be a decent option if Walt can't find a left fielder.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I figured he'd hang em up. Honestly, he was pretty decent down the stretch last year.

Whe Votto went down and many felt we'd slip hard in the standings, Rolen came back and (effectively) took his place, and he, Frazier and Ludwick all OPS'ed about .900 and carried us well into the lead.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Ugh what a tease. Was hoping this was for Justin. No interest in BJ, he's a glorified (and expensive) Stubbs.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?