Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Would anyone want Torii Hunter for a couple year deal in CF? His stats were a lot better than I expected the past few years.

I still also say the Reds should look at Melky Cabrera if he comes cheap as I expect he will.
    I was just thinking how this is both a Walt & Dusty-type-of-move. Hunter is a proven vet than can leadoff with an OBP over .350. If they can get him on a one or two year deal for less than or equal to what Ludwick would require, I'd be interested. I'm somewhat surprised the Angels didn't give him a qualifying offer.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

A Hunter, Bruce, Ichiro OF might prove interesting for next year. Lots of obp, balance across the order, and not too expensive, IMO:

Ichiro CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Hunter LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Hanigan C
    Cozart SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    A Hunter, Bruce, Ichiro OF might prove interesting for next year. Lots of obp, balance across the order, and not too expensive, IMO:

Ichiro CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Hunter LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Hanigan C
    Cozart SS
    Ichiro's OBP the last two seasons: .310, .307. No thanks.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Hunter or Ludwick who would you prefer? I wonder if they could sign both?

What do you think it would cost to land Hunter?
    Go BLUE!!!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hunter or Ludwick who would you prefer? I wonder if they could sign both?

What do you think it would cost to land Hunter?
    2 yr, 16M maybe?

Also, I think this team is finally in a place where it might want to consider playoff experience in a player's background when making acquisitions.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    2 yr, 16M maybe?
    Geez. Hunter batted .313 with a .365 OBP, 92 rbi in 2012. 37 years old. Pretty impressive. And he played in 140 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Geez. Hunter batted .313 with a .365 OBP, 92 rbi in 2012. 37 years old. Pretty impressive. And he played in 140 games.
    37 years old is right.

1) Melky in LF. Dave Cameron said Melky might take a 1 year deal for $6-8M in order to reestablish his value.
    2) a cheap platoon partner for Stubbs until Billy is ready. I like the Bernadina idea.
    3) Chapman to the rotation
    4) get a couple of good bullpen arms to replace Chapman & Broxton. I think its easier to get these guys than it is to get a TOR arm.
    I'd be fine with Marshall as the closer. I believe he was pretty unlucky early in the season.

I think this would be workable with the Reds payroll limitations

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    1) Melky in LF. Dave Cameron said Melky might take a 1 year deal for $6-8M in order to reestablish his value.
    That's a steal for a juicing Melky.

Pass if he's back to being the free range organic Melky, though.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    That's a steal for a juicing Melky.

Pass if he's back to being the free range organic Melky, though.
    Looking at the numbers, it appears that Melky's 2012 was highly BABIP driven. It's not like he had a huge power spike, so he's regressing no matter what. He's still a useful player.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yeah. I would put money on Melky not completely falling apart as many believe.

We took in Josh Hamilton once. No reason we can't take in Melky.

Got a feeling Melky might need to take something more like a $2 million contract with incentives if he wants to rebuild his value.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Got a feeling Melky might need to take something more like a $2 million contract with incentives if he wants to rebuild his value.
    If its that low, I'd be up for the Reds giving him a shot. Switch hitter who can hit against both RHP and LHP. He may be a 4th OF without the roids, but looking at the Reds payroll, I'm coming around more and more to the idea that the Reds are going to need to mix and match in the OF.

Can he still play CF? Could he ever really? I was always underwhelmed with Melky on defernse when he was with the Yankees and the steroids would sure seem to explain his bat during his time in KC and SF. Still, if he's cheap enough, he may be able to share CF with Stubbs and free Heisey for a package for something better in LF. Besides, he may still have some of that artificial muscle for a while even if he's off the juice.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Ichiro CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Hunter LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Hanigan C
    Cozart SS
    Ichiro plays RF, not CF.

Turn Off Ads?