Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucas-Disney

Re: Lucas-Disney

I'm terribly excited

2. Turn Off Ads?

Disney makes quality space movies. Remember that classic, The Black Hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUJJKDa558

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Black Hole is one of those "so bad it's good" classics.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn? Life isn't fair enough to allow that to happen.
    Right you are.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The last three were so bad...who cares?
    If anyone can figure out how to top that botchfest of a prequil its Disney... Consider this Star Wars fan concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Black Hole is one of those "so bad it's good" classics.
    I don't know. I tried re-watching it a couple years ago and it was more like "so boring I'm falling asleep."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Just because Lucas is a ham-fisted hack who bought into all his own hype doesn't mean someone else can't do good work.
    Ouch. The man only created the most popular movie series ever -- movies that captured the imagination of generations of filmgoers, ingrained themselves into popular culture worldwide and changed how Hollywood worked, from financing to special effects to marketing.

Star Wars, which Lucas directed, was the 8th largest grossing movie -- in 1997!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    This is for the best, the Star Wars EU is a behemoth that needs to be left to the books.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Ouch. The man only created the most popular movie series ever -- movies that captured the imagination of generations of filmgoers, ingrained themselves into popular culture worldwide and changed how Hollywood worked, from financing to special effects to marketing.

Star Wars, which Lucas directed, was the 8th largest grossing movie -- in 1997!
    True, but he works better when someone can help mold his story, it's not a coincidence that Empire, considered the best of the lot, was directed by someone else with others helping write it.

Lucas brought us this great romantic line:
    "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft, and smooth"
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    True, but he works better when someone can help mold his story, it's not a coincidence that Empire, considered the best of the lot, was directed by someone else with others helping write it.
    Lucas is a brilliant dude, but he's big-idea and visual guy that really doesn't have a sense for the written or spoken word. Empire is night-and-day better than even the original Star Wars in terms of pacing and dialogue, and it's like comparing Picasso to finger-painting when you compare Empire to the prequels.

Really the only thing that saved the prequels from being complete, unmitigated disasters is that Lucas called in Tom Stoppard to do an uncredited re-write of the script for Revenge of the Sith.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I don't know. I tried re-watching it a couple years ago and it was more like "so boring I'm falling asleep."
    My mother gave me a Black Hole action figure for Christmas one year. It was Harry Booth, played by Ernest Borgnine.

She thought I could play along with my Star Wars figures.

I used him as the experiment doll, putting him in the freezer and blowong him up with firecrackers.

That was the worst figure ever.

I hope Disney can bring in some writers and actors who can make the next films enjoyable. Part of the charm of the original trilogy was the interplay of the characters. Han, Luke, Leia, Obi Wan, Chewbacca, and Yoda were great and Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher, and Alex Guinness were perfect for their roles. Even Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian was great. Meanwhile, the writing for Episodes I-III was so bad, not even Samuel L. Jackson seemed able to breath life into his character.

I'm optimistic because I like what Disney did with the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Marvel films.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I
    I'm optimistic because I like what Disney did with the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Marvel films.
    Put the same folks to work on this who did The Avengers.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I saw the other day that Lawrence Kasdan s rumored to co-write. That's very good news -- and not just because he's from WV and directed Mumford (although I loved Mumford.)

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/star-w...-screenwriters
    Last edited by marcshoe; 11-27-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Living Daylights was a good movie, the worst bond movie was the one from 4 years ago.
    The worst ever Bond movies were Diamonds Are Forever (1971), A View To A Kill (1985) and Die Another Day (2003).
    I loved Star Wars, I liked Empire Strikes Back, I thought Return of the Jedi was okay--and there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since. There hasn't been a George Lucas movie of any kind worth watching in over 20 years IMHO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?