Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucas-Disney

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lucas-Disney

blah blah blah, 4+ billion dollars...blah blah..Episode VII in 2015.

Re: Lucas-Disney

I must be the only one excited about this. Star Wars movies under the control of someone not named George Lucas!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The last three were so bad...who cares?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Put the source material in the hands of a quality director / idea man -- ala Joss Whedon & the Avengers or J.J. Abrams & Star Trek -- and the potential is still there for good stuff.

Just because Lucas is a ham-fisted hack who bought into all his own hype doesn't mean someone else can't do good work.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Put the source material in the hands of a quality director / idea man -- ala Joss Whedon & the Avengers or J.J. Abrams & Star Trek -- and the potential is still there for good stuff.

Just because Lucas is a ham-fisted hack who bought into all his own hype doesn't mean someone else can't do good work.
    Yeah....I just don't believe in redemption...those were among the worst movies I've ever seen.

Yeah....I just don't believe in redemption...those were among the worst movies I've ever seen.
    James Bond survived "The Living Daylights," Star Trek survived Captain Kirk Meets God, Batman survived the Nippled Batsuit & Arnold Schwarzenegger -- those are lows at least on par with Jar Jar Binks, IMO.

James Bond survived "The Living Daylights," Star Trek survived Captain Kirk Meets God, Batman survived the Nippled Batsuit & Arnold Schwarzenegger -- those are lows at least on par with Jar Jar Binks, IMO.
    Very true...if Lucas isn't involved it may happen...my feeling is he'll still be involved.

Ouch. The man only created the most popular movie series ever -- movies that captured the imagination of generations of filmgoers, ingrained themselves into popular culture worldwide and changed how Hollywood worked, from financing to special effects to marketing.

Star Wars, which Lucas directed, was the 8th largest grossing movie -- in 1997!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Ouch. The man only created the most popular movie series ever -- movies that captured the imagination of generations of filmgoers, ingrained themselves into popular culture worldwide and changed how Hollywood worked, from financing to special effects to marketing.

Star Wars, which Lucas directed, was the 8th largest grossing movie -- in 1997!
    True, but he works better when someone can help mold his story, it's not a coincidence that Empire, considered the best of the lot, was directed by someone else with others helping write it.

Lucas brought us this great romantic line:
    "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything's soft, and smooth"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    True, but he works better when someone can help mold his story, it's not a coincidence that Empire, considered the best of the lot, was directed by someone else with others helping write it.
    Lucas is a brilliant dude, but he's big-idea and visual guy that really doesn't have a sense for the written or spoken word. Empire is night-and-day better than even the original Star Wars in terms of pacing and dialogue, and it's like comparing Picasso to finger-painting when you compare Empire to the prequels.

Really the only thing that saved the prequels from being complete, unmitigated disasters is that Lucas called in Tom Stoppard to do an uncredited re-write of the script for Revenge of the Sith.

If anyone can figure out how to top that botchfest of a prequil its Disney... Consider this Star Wars fan concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The Living Daylights was a good movie, the worst bond movie was the one from 4 years ago.

I don't really care about ep 7, 8 and 9 after how awful 1,2 and 3 were, but I do like to think the OT without the Lucas edits will now see the light of day on bluray, and then of course go in the vault for 30 years.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Living Daylights was a good movie, the worst bond movie was the one from 4 years ago.
    The worst ever Bond movies were Diamonds Are Forever (1971), A View To A Kill (1985) and Die Another Day (2003).
    I loved Star Wars, I liked Empire Strikes Back, I thought Return of the Jedi was okay--and there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since. There hasn't been a George Lucas movie of any kind worth watching in over 20 years IMHO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The worst ever Bond movies were Diamonds Are Forever (1971), A View To A Kill (1985) and Die Another Day (2003).
    I loved Star Wars, I liked Empire Strikes Back, I thought Return of the Jedi was okay--and there hasn't been a decent Star Wars movie since. There hasn't been a George Lucas movie of any kind worth watching in over 20 years IMHO.
    Eh, I really enjoy watching A View to a Kill because it's so damn campy and features Christopher Walken as the villain.

Empire Strikes Back is generally considered the best of the Star Wars movies too...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Empire Strikes Back is generally considered the best of the Star Wars movies too...
    Oh I know that but I just liked the original Star Wars, the one where Han shoots first, better. At times the repeated refrain in "Empire" from Darth Vader about Luke's "destiny" starts to bore me. One thing I do agree with the critics on: The Phantom Menace was easily the worst of the film series.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 12-05-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?