Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What would it take to land David Wright?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: David Wright to Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Frazier, Leake, Corcino, HRod wouldn't be too much different than the package the Reds sent for another great Mets performer back in 1977. Just sayin'
    A few things, Wright is no Seaver. And Tom Terrific was on a 3 year contract. Not a one year rental. Just sayin'.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would it take to land David Wright?

Thanks for honoring my request, mods. Much better (and much more accurate) thread title.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Does Bob still have a 100+ million dollars lying around? There's just no way this is happening.
    How do you, John "I hate trades" Fay or anyone else know what Bob's bank account looks like? Or what it will look like after the television contract is renegotiated? Or what he's willing to spend to see this franchise win a World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    How do you, John "I hate trades" Fay or anyone else know what Bob's bank account looks like? Or what it will look like after the television contract is renegotiated? Or what he's willing to spend to see this franchise win a World Series.
    Agreed. I had no idea that the team was going to sign Votto and Phillips to LTC's this past off-season. I was floored. So, while I certainly don't expect a move for David Wright, I am much less willing to write off the possibility than I would have been a year ago. And that's a good feeling, I guess.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Agreed. I had no idea that the team was going to sign Votto and Phillips to LTC's this past off-season. I was floored. So, while I certainly don't expect a move for David Wright, I am much less willing to write off the possibility than I would have been a year ago. And that's a good feeling, I guess.
    I think the chances of this happening are slim and none, but Walt has a history of this kind of thing. He pays the price for difference-makers and he's not afraid to do it on a one-year basis.

You also have to look at how all the various pieces fit together. Is Wright for one year at 3B + Frazier in LF a better value than Ludwick for multiple years in LF + Frazier at 3B + holding the players it would take to trade for Wright? You could make a pretty convincing argument that Wright/Frazier is a better defensive tandem than Frazier/Ludwick. You also could make a pretty good case that the one-year salary costs are a safer investment than three years for Ludwick. Ultimately, it probably comes down to the package it would take to make the trade.

I've spent way too much time thinking about something that isn't going to happen, but I just think it isn't as simple as most are making it out to be.

Wright at 3B and whatever you need to do in LF is going to be better than Frazier at 3B and Ludwick or whatever in LF plus whatever you have to give up to get Wright. Wright is that much of a difference maker. Hamilton is the only thing in the farm I don't give up to get Wright and I take off the ML roster as well. Wright is a PERFECT fit for this team over the next 3-5 years.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Wright is a PERFECT fit for this team over the next 3-5 years.
    But how about the fit over the next 10 years when we are paying him $20M+ per season, and we can't afford to have a team around him and Votto?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    But how about the fit over the next 10 years when we are paying him $20M+ per season, and we can't afford to have a team around him and Votto?
    So two or three World Series later we'll stink.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    So two or three World Series later we'll stink.
    You try and fit Wright's $20M salary in right now and we will have to make series cuts.

Those 2 or 3 world series may well be zero.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds will fall short of winning a World Series as long as they go bargain hunting for a cleanup hitter to protect Votto. They've been doing it for a long time and it isn't working.

They fix the pitching and continue to neglect cleanup and leadoff, and position-wise...LF and CF.

Turn Off Ads?