Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Madson has declined option

Looks like Madson has declined option

Jon Heyman reporting, but I don't have the link.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Looks like Madson has declined option

Is he looking for more money after the stellar season he had?

Heyman says that he wants a job where he's guaranteed to close.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-job-elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Reds held the option.

We were never bringing him back for the incremental 8.5M required to keep a guy coming off TJ surgery. He'd be cray to turn that down. I also doubt someone is going to give him a guaranteed closing position. He's going to have to compete.

IIRC correctly I think it was actually a mutual option. Either way, I would assume the Reds declined, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    IIRC correctly I think it was actually a mutual option. Either way, I would assume the Reds declined, not the other way around.
    Quite sure of that,No way he turns down 8.5 mill
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

So, if it was a mutual option (it was per Cots), why would the Reds have to "buy out" an option that the player declined? It seems like the Reds would only be on the hook for $2.5 Million if the team was the declining party.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, if it was a mutual option (it was per Cots), why would the Reds have to "buy out" an option that the player declined? It seems like the Reds would only be on the hook for $2.5 Million if the team was the declining party.
    Simply put, those are the terms of the contract. Had Madson been eligible for arbitration, the Reds could've offered. There's also the likely possibility that the Reds were planning on turning down the option but let Madson save face by turning it down first. And although Madson might face competition for the closer role elsewhere, his odds are much better if Aroldis Chapman isn't his competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Heyman says that he wants a job where he's guaranteed to close.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-job-elsewhere
    Does that signal our hopes of Chapman to the rotation are likely to be dashed?

Madson was a great decision that failed miserably. It's big disappointment through really no one's fault. Life happens sometimes.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Simply put, those are the terms of the contract. Had Madson been eligible for arbitration, the Reds could've offered. There's also the likely possibility that the Reds were planning on turning down the option but let Madson save face by turning it down first. And although Madson might face competition for the closer role elsewhere, his odds are much better if Aroldis Chapman isn't his competition.
    Makes sense. I'm not seeing Madson being a big factor in 2013 though. His surgery was in April. Will he even be ready by opening day? Tommy John usually takes 12 to 18 months to get back into pitching in the big leagues and another season or so to get back effectiveness. Some guys have gone faster than that, but if I was given the job of handing out the cash, I woudn't give much guaranteed to a guy coming off Tommy John until the surgery was 24 months or so in the past. I'm glad that the Reds seem to be allowing somebody else to pay for Madson's rehab season. I'd be happy to have him back on a minor league deal that guarantees $1 Million or so with some incentives, but if he's looking for a big league deal for multi-millions guaranteed, I'd just as soon spend that money on somebody who isn't coming off of Tommy John.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Does that signal our hopes of Chapman to the rotation are likely to be dashed?

Madson was a great decision that failed miserably. It's big disappointment through really no one's fault. Life happens sometimes.
    Ahh... that's the real mystery, isn't it? I was wondering the same thing...

However, as camisadelgolf said, it could be a generic excuse and a future plan and nothing more.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Is he looking for more money after the stellar season he had?
    Hey he didn't blow a save all year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

How do guys like Wainwright and Carpenter come back so fast, but it's going to take Madson an entire year?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's a term of the CBA that all options, player, club or mutual, must have a buyout provision.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

This is absolutely meaningless as to the Reds' intentions. This might be like a Jonny Gomes situation where they feel they can decline the option and bring back the player for less money.

I don't think this gives us any indication as to whether they intend to bring Madson back.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?