Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me the Reds aren't keeping Aroldis at closer...

Re: Please tell me the Reds aren't keeping Aroldis at closer...

There's an underlying premise that the rotation on the Reds needs fixing.

The team may not feel that way. They have Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, and Leake. Cingrani and Corcino will be knocking on the door very soon. They can add an emergency back up guy.

The team may feel with with the loss of Madson and Broxton, with Masset hurt, with Bray gone, that the safest course is to keep Chapman in the bullpen. It's certainly the easiest course.

My guess is Walt will play it both ways, look for starters and relievers, and make his judgment on Chapman depending on who else he can pick up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There's an underlying premise that the rotation on the Reds needs fixing.

The team may not feel that way. They have Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, and Leake. Cingrani and Corcino will be knocking on the door very soon. They can add an emergency back up guy.

The team may feel with with the loss of Madson and Broxton, with Masset hurt, with Bray gone, that the safest course is to keep Chapman in the bullpen. It's certainly the easiest course.

My guess is Walt will play it both ways, look for starters and relievers, and make his judgment on Chapman depending on who else he can pick up.
    I was just about to post that the one thing not being discussed in this thread is the fact that the Reds have a very good starting rotation. The team clearly sees more of a need for Chapman in the 'pen than in the rotation right now. Everyone is down on Mike Leake, but he's not shabby for a No. 5 starter in the NL. And then 1-4 the Reds are almost as good as anyone with Cueto, Latos, Bailey and Arroyo. The emergence of Bailey as a reliable starter has made the decision to leave Chapman as the closer "easier" for the Reds IMO. If the Reds had holes in their rotation, I have no doubt Chapman would be a starter. As it stands, the team appears more than content to allow him to be one of the game's best closers. Funny how we all talk about the Nasty Boys in 1990 and how that helped the Reds win the World Series. Were you guys upset that Myers, Dibble and Charlton were wasting so many innings because they weren't starters? (Actually, Charlton did start a game or three that year, but you get the point.) Can't have it both ways. Just how important is the bullpen? Do you buy into the theory that it's much tougher to pitch the 9th inning with the game on the line than it is the 2nd inning?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

But much has changed over the course of the past year. And so, too, has my personal stance on the matter. I'm swinging to the thinking that Chapman should be staying right where he is.

A few reasons why relief remains the best route:
    What is this article? If people are getting paid for unqualified opinions now, RedsZone should be a fortune 500 company.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

What is this article? If people are getting paid for unqualified opinions now, RedsZone should be a fortune 500 company.
    He's one of the best writers that site has. Used to cover the Reds before Sheldon.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    He's one of the best writers that site has. Used to cover the Reds before Sheldon.
    I'm sure he's decent. Just the whole tone of that article made me laugh. It sounds the transcript of a sports bar argument.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    True he had a week or two (and then spent the rest of the season praising the team for placing him in the role he succeeded in)

Can anyone recall a curve ball first reliever as a closer?

I'm struggling to recall even one
    Joe Boever? Granted it was only a year or two on a bad team...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Gregg Olson was mostly a curveball guy, wasn't he?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's my preference too.
    Instead of adding an ace closer, why not just add a very good starter and keep Chapman where he is?

If Broxton is not resigned and Chapman goes to the rotation, the bullpen is suddenly very shallow.. I think at bare minumum, the Reds need to resign/add two relievers to consider moving Chapman to the rotation. Maybe a healthy Masset is one of those guys, but I wouldn't count on it.
    Because adding a very good starter is likely to cost 5-10 times as much as adding an ace closer.

Just saw a report on MLB Network from John Heyman. He said he talked to Reds' brass recently and they indicated they are trying to sign a closer like Joakim Soria, Broxton or Madsen so they can put Aroldis into the rotation. He said the Reds really want Chapman to be a starting pitcher.

It was on MLB Network so it has to be true right?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    He has to start.

However, if they keep him as a closer, they need to work on his walk from the bullpen. They need a lazer show and better music.
    "Voodoo Child", by Jimi Hendrix.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    "Voodoo Child", by Jimi Hendrix.
    Excellent choice.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Because adding a very good starter is likely to cost 5-10 times as much as adding an ace closer.
    This.

Competent closets aren't hard to come by. Decent starters remain rare.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    This.

Competent closets aren't hard to come by. Decent starters remain rare.
    I just cleaned mine out, so it is more competent than it was. But I wouldn't say its easy to find.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

My closet is completely incompetent. It just seems to pile junk in the floor randomly, and the hangers try to escape from my sweaters.

I have to remember to check posts from my hand-held to see what autocorrect hath wrought.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can anyone recall a curve ball first reliever as a closer?

I'm struggling to recall even one
    Mark Davis.
    But I agree, it's not common.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?