Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 11/19

Birthdays- 11/19

Reds:

Bob Boone (64) -Always seemd like the kind of guy who SHOULD be a great manager, but as you and I know, it never really developed that way.

Bobby Tolan (66) -Lou Brock won the NL stolen base title every year between 1966 and 1974 except for one. Bobby won it that year. I always enjoyed watching him play, but I understand that he wasn't always the easiest guy to get along with.

Everett Scott -The record-holder for consecutive games played before Gehrig. Was only a Red for one season.

Others:

Jonathan Sanchez (29) - 11/19 was a weak day for pitcher's birthdays. Sanchez's 38 career wins ties for the lead among all players born today.

Ryan Howard (32) -Holds a bunch of franchise and NL records. You can look them up if you're interested. I was more interested in learning that he played the trombone in high school and that he has a twin brother larger than him.

Roy Campanella -I love me some Johnny Bench, but I suspect that if Campy had played a whole career in the majors he'd be regarded as the greatest catcher ever. Unless Josh Gibson also had played a whole career in the bigs...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays- 11/19

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Bobby Tolan (66) -Lou Brock won the NL stolen base title every year between 1966 and 1974 except for one. Bobby won it that year. I always enjoyed watching him play, but I understand that he wasn't always the easiest guy to get along with.
    I had me a Bobby Tolan sighting back in 1970, the year the Reds were 70-30 after 100 games (I think that's right). Anyway, I was eating in a Bonanza restaurant over in Florence, Ky. on Dixie Highway and if memory serves it was probably a little while after the All-Star break. I was alone but I had a copy of the current issue of Time Magazine with me to read because the cover story (with a Tony Perez pic) was all about The Big Red Machine and the great season they were having. I was sitting toward the front of the restaurant and as I finished and got up to leave I noticed a nice-looking family seated behind me. As I passed their table the man of the family noticed the cover of the magazine and smiled and said, "Hey, there's Tony". I just smiled and nodded but it wasn't until later that day that I realized that it had to be Tolan. Not a chance that it was anyone else but I just wasn't prepared to be eating in a family-type steak-house with one of the BRM.

Turn Off Ads?