Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Offseason makeover: NL East

Offseason makeover: NL East

We're in that dead space before teams start making serious player acquisitions. In that spirit let's get a few non-Reds threads going about what other teams might look to do to better themselves this winter. Technically every team has a lot of money with the new TV deal rolling in.

Anyway, come up with a few crazy ideas and post them. And if someone wants to start threads for other divisions, that's super cool by me.

Washington Nationals

A full season of Steven Strasburg and another year of maturity for Bryce Harper might be all this team needs. With Kurt Suzuki and Wilson Ramos, the team has some depth at catcher if it wants to make a deal. Things the team could use are a CF, a better closer than Drew Storen and a stud 1B (assuming you don't 100% trust Adam LaRoche and Michael Morse).

This strikes me as the right fit for B.J. Upton. The Nats are built around team power and he's 20+ from the CF position. If the Royals don't exercise the option on Joakim Soria, then I could see the Nats swooping in on him. Otherwise this might be where J.J. Putz or Fernando Rodney land.

And expect the Nats to offer multiple years to Edwin Jackson, who accepts quickly in order to avoid getting caught out in the cold like last season.

Crazy idea - Wilson Ramos, Tyler Moore and John Lannan to the Yankees for Mark Teixeira

Atlanta Braves

Michael Bourn is going to leave and Chipper Jones is retiring. And no one really knows if Andrelton Simmons is ready to be an every day SS in the majors. Basically, this lineup is a mess. First order of business is the OF. Go to the Rockies and trade one of Tommy Hanson, Brandon Beachy or Randall Delgado (because they only need one of them) for Dexter Fowler. Heck, expand it a bit and get Chris Nelson too, bringing two local kids home to Georgia.

Then pry open the checkbook and sign Josh Hamilton.

Crazy idea - Freddie Freeman looks like a career C+ 1B to me. If the team can't land some bigger fish in the OF then put Freeman and Simmons together for Jose Reyes.

Philadelphia Phillies

I'll be mildly stunned if the Phillies don't sign Michael Bourn. Torii Hunter also would seem like the kind of proven veteran who might appeal to the Phils. You have to assume Darin Ruf will get first crack at LF with Domonic Brown and John Mayberry Jr. waiting in the wings.

It's a bit of a longshot that Cody Asche is ready to fill the gaping hole at 3B. Bringing back Placido Polanco as a bridge might seem the most obvious fix, but I've never liked Polanco's bat at 3B. Don't know if the bridge to Scott Rolen has burnt beyond repair, but I'd try to entice him to have his career come full circle.

The team also needs to sign a couple of relievers from Jonathan Broxton, Mike Adams, Jeremy Affeldt and J.P. Howell ranks.

Crazy idea - Cash in Chase Utley to the Tigers for one of Drew Smyly or Rick Porcello with Casey Crosby throw in.

New York Mets

Fire anyone who suggests not picking up the option on David Wright (and you know a few of the self-appointed geniuses in that front office are suggesting it, if for no other reason than to make the Wilpons happy by spending less money). Exercising the option on R.A. Dickey should also be a no-brainer.

The lineup is probably an unfixable mess, but the rotation could give the team legitimacy if the Mets do something bold like sign Zack Greinke. Dickey, Greinke, Jon Niese, Matt Harvey and Zach Wheeler could be formidable. Since Greinke will cost money, expect more of an Anibal Sanchez/Francisco Liriano type of solution, or just no movement whatsoever on the SP front.

The bullpen needs an open casting call. Getting a closer would be a good first step and the Mets are a team that might be willing to use JBrox in that role.

If Nick Swisher is available, the Mets would do well to keep him in NY.

Crazy idea - Trade 3B prospect Wilmer Flores for the best OF prospect you can get your hands on. It means the team needs to extend Wright also.

Miami Marlins

Hire Fidel Castro to manage the team. Then find the team that's going to part the seas to get Josh Johnson. Prime candidates include the Red Sox (all discussions start with Xander Bogaerts), the Cardinals and the Orioles.

I'd take a gamble on a rebound season for Shane Victorino. Plus, it would get LoMo the hell out of the OF (frankly, I'd cut LoMo for being a horrible ballplayer). The team desperately needs a big bat at 1B, but there isn't one on the market this winter and there really isn't one on the market next winter either. With that in mind, it's time to work a deal for Kendrys Morales. He's Cuban, he's lost in the shuffle a bit with the Angels and the Marlins need to sell some tickets. Maybe they can build a prospect package for him. For sure, they need him.

Crazy idea - Shop Jose Reyes. The Marlins can't begin to replace him at SS, but he's one of the few plus bats at that position in all of baseball. Teams should be knocking themselves over to get that guy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason makeover: NL East

I think Santana will be healthy for the Mets?

I disagree somewhat about the Braves. While they certainly will have some question marks in their lineup, I still think with Prado/Heyward/McCann/Freeman/Uggla that they have a solid offensive base. They could use a big bat though like Hamilton as you suggested.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I think Santana will be healthy for the Mets?
    Not sure when he's due back. Also not sure how effective he'll be. If I were Sandy Alderson, I'd view Santana as a 5th starter option and give Wheeler more seasoning if Santana's good to go.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Braves

Martin Prado moves to 3B
    Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurjjens and Sean Gilmartin to KC for Alex Gordon
    Sign Shane Victorino

Nationals

Sign Michael Bourn
    Re-Sign Adam Laroche
    Michael Morse and John Lannan to the Cleveland Indians for Ubaldo Jimenez

Phillies

Sign Josh Hamilton
    Sign Eric Chavez

Mets

Jason Bay and Wilmer Flores to the Angels for Vernon Wells, Jordan Walden, Nick Maronde and $15 Million towards Wells 2014 Salary
    Frank Francisco and some cash to whoever for as much salary relief as possible
    Sign Grady Sizemore to an incentive laden deal with an option for 2014

Marlins

Sign Jeff Keppinger and Joe Saunders as FA to reasonable deals
    Ricky Nolasco and $6 Million to the Red Sox for Daniel Bard and Ryan Kalish
    Last edited by mth123; 11-05-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?