Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Two pitchers to consider

Two pitchers to consider

Rick Ankiel -- Rumor now that he'll consider pitching again. I have to think he'd give the Reds strong consideration, with the excellent staff and pitching coaches, and his history with Jocketty. I like the idea -- he had a great arm.

R.A. Dickey -- Sounds as if the Mets could trade him, and the Reds match up well with them. He'll cost $5MM in 2013. He's from Tennessee, and my guess is that both he and the Reds would consider a multiyear deal. Old, yeah, but he throws the knuckleball. And he's about to be the Cy Young winner. Alderson and Jocketty go way back, so there could be productive dialogue. I love Dickey's mentality, to go with the 230 innings and 230 Ks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Two pitchers to consider

1. Where did you hear the Mets are willing to trade him? This is the first I heard of it.

2. We don't have much to trade, but I'd love to get Dickey and Wright in a huge trade. Impossible, but wish we could do it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Reds deal Leake and try to replace him.

Three likely possibilities IMO are:

1. Matt Garza
    2. James Shields
    3. Justin Masterson

After watching Rick Ankiel pitch in his early days I highly doubt he has gotten any better pitching b/c all he has done is be a hitter.I strongly say no to Rick Ankiel!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Ankiel would be the best CF on the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I hadn't heard the Ankiel angle, but here's a piece I came across (which gives where this first came to light):

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/11/1/35...-rumor-be-true
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The Cardinals do need a left handed reliever so Ankiel might be wanting to return considering that the Cards stuck with him and gave him a chance to be an outfielder. I've also heard that he still throws side sessions from time to time so he might not be as rusty as people think. I'm ambivalent about him returning as a pitcher but it's not actually the craziest thing in the world to think he could make a pitching comeback. He had electric stuff when he was pitching and one would think that there isn't too much wear on his arm.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The Cardinals do need a left handed reliever so Ankiel might be wanting to return considering that the Cards stuck with him and gave him a chance to be an outfielder. I've also heard that he still throws side sessions from time to time so he might not be as rusty as people think. I'm ambivalent about him returning as a pitcher but it's not actually the craziest thing in the world to think he could make a pitching comeback. He had electric stuff when he was pitching and one would think that there isn't too much wear on his arm.
    If he pitched that terrible when he was a starter and was'nt rusty then I would hate to see him pitch when he is rusty.Thats all im saying!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

How ridiculous can it get with Ankiel? Drew Henson couldn't play in the NFL, and he couldn't play 3b in the major leagues either. Both Henson and Ankiel may be in the Jesse Owens category of athletes, but neither of them amount to much of anything in either sport as individuals.

Just let it go. Kind of sad, but Ankiel has at least made some money and doesn't need to to be pitied.

Turn Off Ads?