Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs DO NOT trade Marmol for Dan Haren

Cubs DO NOT trade Marmol for Dan Haren

Last edited by mattfeet; 11-03-2012 at 12:30 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cubs trade Marmol for Dan Haren

WTH? I know they wanted to deal Haren, but they couldn't do better than that?

Seems like a salary trade to me.

I would have loved Haren.

As the Cubs improve, and with the Stros out of the Central, next season will be tougher for the Reds.

Yeah, I don't get it, Marmol makes like $10M, I thought the whole point of trading Haren and Santana was saving up enough to pay Greinke and keep Hunter.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Phhhl View Post
    WTH? I know they wanted to deal Haren, but they couldn't do better than that?
    If he wasn't traded today, they would have declined his option and he'd be a free agent. They had almost no leverage.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Angels freeing up $$$ to sign Greinke?

Nice move for Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it, Marmol makes like $10M, I thought the whole point of trading Haren and Santana was saving up enough to pay Greinke and keep Hunter.
    Don't understand this for the Angels either. Would much rather have $10M to spend than Marmol in my bullpen. Makes more sense to just let Haren go.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Don't understand this for the Angels either. Would much rather have $10M to spend than Marmol in my bullpen. Makes more sense to just let Haren go.
    Their bullpen was a problem last year, and relievers are volatile. If Marmol can be a great reliever again, that'll help them a lot, and one year 10M is nothing to the Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If he wasn't traded today, they would have declined his option and he'd be a free agent. They had almost no leverage.
    Getting nothing would have been preferable. A Fahrenheit 451 style fireman who you pay $10 million? No thanks.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Getting nothing would have been preferable. A Fahrenheit 451 style fireman who you pay $10 million? No thanks.
    I think you're being a bit harsh on Marmol. The last 3 years he's put ERAs of 2.55, 4.01, and 3.41. He's got a career 3.38 ERA. He might not have been a relief ace the past couple years, but he's not been a bad reliever outside of 2011, and he was pretty great as recently as 2010.

The two sides haven't agreed to a trade, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Cubs did ask Marmol if he would waive his no-trade clause to go to the Halos, but the Angels are still speaking with other clubs
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...L1CVZg3UAcP.99

Marmol never had the game's best control, and he seems to have less every year. I think that at this point, he's a liability in the pen. 7.3 walks per nine innings last year. 6 for his career, even, and he just turned 30. Arredondo was at 5, and I don't really want him back.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 11-02-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?