Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton gets qualifying offer

Hamilton gets qualifying offer

So much for the hyperbole the Rangers wouldn't even have him back for free

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...-texas-rangers
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton gets qualifying offer

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So much for the hyperbole the Rangers wouldn't even have him back for free

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...-texas-rangers
    There's less than 0% chance he actually would accept a 1 year qualifying offer. That be like us offering Votto (given he didn't sign the extension) a qualifying offer, absolutely no risk and a free pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

It's not like they'd have to worry about being stuck with him even if he totally lost his mind and accidentally accepted, Hamilton on a 1 year deal for $13.3M would have plenty of trade value, unless during that same episode of insanity he also did something that would get him sent to prison.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    There's less than 0% chance he actually would accept a 1 year qualifying offer. That be like us offering Votto (given he didn't sign the extension) a qualifying offer, absolutely no risk and a free pick.
    It's probably not likely he accepts, but 0%? C'mon.

Still, if it were true the Rangers didn't want him back at any cost, they'd not take a chance on this. There's no risk because $13 million for Hamilton is a bargain, not because there's no chance of him accepting.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Still, if it were true the Rangers didn't want him back at any cost, they'd not take a chance on this. There's no risk because $13 million for Hamilton is a bargain, not because there's no chance of him accepting.
    Surely they could trade him/give him away if he were to accept, no? Hard to see the downside of giving him the offer.

I'm that certain of it. Hamilton is going to get one shot at the really big payday because of the time he missed, he's 31 but his body has to be closer to 40 just because of the wear and tear. When he's in there he can carry an offense but he has missed significant time in almost every season as a pro. I don't see anyone telling him to put off free agency to take a "meager" 13 mil which for a Hamilton would be a bargain and very tradable.

Now I don't see Hamilton getting a Pujols deal (10 years) but he is going to get a pretty significant deal from someone. I would predict probably 5-6 yeas (maybe a couple option years) 22-25 mil per. There's absolutely no way he's going to accept a 13.3 mil offer when it could just take 1 team to go crazy and he end up with an ARod or Pujols type offer.

So again I say 0% he would ever consider accepting that "qualifying offer". Its a no risk deal for the Rangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This is going to make for something interesting drama this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Surely they could trade him/give him away if he were to accept, no? Hard to see the downside of giving him the offer.
    Well, a player can't be traded once signed to a qualifying offer before June 15 under the new agreement, so if the Rangers truly didn't want Hamilton back, this wasn't the surest way of seeing to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I'm that certain of it. Hamilton is going to get one shot at the really big payday because of the time he missed, he's 31 but his body has to be closer to 40 just because of the wear and tear. When he's in there he can carry an offense but he has missed significant time in almost every season as a pro. I don't see anyone telling him to put off free agency to take a "meager" 13 mil which for a Hamilton would be a bargain and very tradable.

Now I don't see Hamilton getting a Pujols deal (10 years) but he is going to get a pretty significant deal from someone. I would predict probably 5-6 yeas (maybe a couple option years) 22-25 mil per. There's absolutely no way he's going to accept a 13.3 mil offer when it could just take 1 team to go crazy and he end up with an ARod or Pujols type offer.

So again I say 0% he would ever consider accepting that "qualifying offer". Its a no risk deal for the Rangers.
    So out of 100 times, you think Hamilton would reject it all 100? No chance of trying to work things out with the Rangers by getting on their good side for one more year and hoping to convince them of a $100 million deal over 4-5 years?

The only 0% chance of making sure he doesn't sign is by not giving him a chance to sign. And that's the whole point... if the Rangers were truly adamant about it, then they'd not take this risk at all. And when I say "risk" I don't see this as a risk because I never bought into the hyperbole that they would not have him back at any cost. I don't think having Hamilton play for $13 million is a "risk" anyhow. But that's really my point... the Rangers never felt like they should sever ties at all costs with Hamilton. They simply are unwilling to commit to him long term which is the real reason they're going this route. They want to save face with the fanbase and worst-case scenario they play out one year at $13 mil and see if they change their minds about a longer deal.

Hamilton has a week to accept or decline. I would agree, there is 0% chance of him accepting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Hamilton has a week to accept or decline. I would agree, there is 0% chance of him accepting this.
    Probably not since it appears he's seeking $175M over 7 years.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...medium=twitter
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Does anyone know of any fans of any team who are hoping their team signs Hamilton to a deal like that? Pretty much everything I've heard and read so far from any teams' fans has been closer to panic-stricken at the thought.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

That sounds like a dumb contract the Nationals, Marlins, Dodgers, or Angels would do.

I'd do a big 2 year contract at most. Hamilton wouldn't. But I would. $40M - $50M for 2 years. He'd kill it in GABP.

The Reds could concentrate on keeping the roster and farm system intact if they don't have to trade away for someone. But we still need a leadoff guy.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

WOW.

Good luck with that, Josh.

Turn Off Ads?