Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Twenty Favorite Artists

Re: Your Twenty Favorite Artists

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The Temptations
    "I Wish It Would Rain" and "Poppa Was a Rollin' Stone" are great travel music.
    I'll have to come back later with my list but just wanted to pop in and say that I think "Papa..." is just about the perfect song. So funky, poignant, catchy...it's got it all.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

This might be tougher than the albums list.

Ryan Adams--I've mentioned my affection for him here before; I'm not sure why he hasn't grown more popular with the recent rise in Americana/roots music. Breathtaking songwriter.

Bob Marley--I tend to get lost in his voice and music, even though I don't listen to it as much as most of the others on this list. He always comes across so sincere.

Stevie Wonder--One of the few artists that I can play no matter my mood, setting, etc. He comes on, I'm gonna dance.

Bob Seger--Not much needs to be said about Seger. Had one of the great 10-year runs in rock history and has been the soundtrack of many long car rides.

Garth Brooks--Country music's truest superstar. I know probably 30 of his songs word for word.

Danger Mouse--I was glad I could cheat with him. He's collaborated on so many phenomenal projects (if you haven't heard the Broken Bells record with the Shins frontman, stop reading and go listen to it now). Gnarls Barkley deserves more credit than it got, too.

Chris Thile--Has killed it solo, with Nickel Creek, and now with the Punch Brothers. He understands music like no one else playing right now, and his most recent work will leave you exhausted trying to understand how all the instruments are working together. He's as close to a prodigy as music has seen in the past 20 years.

D'Angelo--I'm really glad to see he's come back. I was afraid we'd only be left with two albums from him. He's known for the naked music video, but every song of his puts me into a groove coma.

Van Morrison--He's overshadowed by the Beatles, Dylan, and Rolling Stones, but for my money, he's the songwriter I most respect. Can make me smile or cry from track to track. Astral Weeks still feels fresh today, and that's amazing.

The Eagles--The first band I remember hearing, from probably 5 years old. They've been an on-and-off passion ever since. I like their country sound, but a couple of the 80s tracks can be pretty cool too. Their Long Road Out of Eden album was surprisingly good for the old timers.

Victor Wooten--I'm a bass player, and he puts me on my ass with some of the ways he comes up with to play that instrument. He's a music historian, and constantly drops little allusions to some of the funk greats.

Glen Hansard--He's quietly putting together an impressive resume, between his work with The Frames and Marketa Irglova. Once is a top 10 movie of all time for me, and the Broadway musical is number one, hands down. His voice is so honest, you believe every word he sings.

Kanye West--Couldn't dislike him more as a person, and I don't particularly enjoy him as a lyricist, but as a producer he's phenomenal. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy felt like something new in hip-hop.

Michael Jackson--The man. Anyone who thinks he just sang songs written for him and danced his way into stardom should watch This Is It and see what his artistry really was. He heard music differently than you and I do, and that's what made him special.

Dave Matthews--Say what you will about him, I love his music, particularly live. He surrounded himself with certifiable genuises and can keep a groove going for seemingly days. Another long car ride choice.

Mary J. Blige--My favorite neo-soul female artist. She's got one of the great voices in R&B and has put out one or two of my favorite R&B albums of the last 15 years.

Outkast--Constantly growing and evolving; I've loved every iteration of the Atlanta duo. Andre 3000 is brilliant, and Big Boi is a really underrated lyricist.

Peter Gabriel--I couldn't tell you if I like his Genesis or solo career better, but I know I'm interested in everything he's ever done. Even his soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ is a work of art. I've been listening to his 2010 record Scratch My Back quite a bit lately, and in his older years his voice has become just so hauntingly beautiful.

The Roots--?uestlove is great, the band is great, the music is always interesting, and they're genuinely funny guys! What else do you want?

Zac Brown--I struggled putting him on here, but man am I having fun listening to his stuff. And he can flat burn it up on that guitar.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    9. The Avett Brothers. I'm reluctant to list current bands
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Mclusky/Future of the Left
    Dude... I just saw them at The Grog Shop in Cleveland with Andrew Jackson Jihad, and I'm really tempted to say it's the greatest thing I've ever seen live...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Dude... I just saw them at The Grog Shop in Cleveland with Andrew Jackson Jihad, and I'm really tempted to say it's the greatest thing I've ever seen live...
    They easily have the best between-song banter of any band I've ever seen. Check out Last Night I Saved Her from Vampires for some prime examples.

They easily have the best between-song banter of any band I've ever seen. Check out Last Night I Saved Her from Vampires for some prime examples.
    Haha me and my friends dictated a lot of their between-song banter that night, but I don't think the discussion is very RZ-friendly...

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Also in no particular order:

Artist-Meaningless Garble. Song I love.

1 Metallica-The soundtrack to my youth, and my life to date. For Whom the Bell Tolls

2 Pink Floyd-Beginning with Meddle and continuing to the present, I love everything Waters and/or Gilmour touch (with the notable exception of The Final Cut). Time.

3 Supafuzz-I have mentioned them before. They were a local band in Lexington that I saw many many nights in bars and clubs throughout Kentucky. King of Karma.

4 Black Sabbath- My introduction into heavy music started here. The first six Ozzy albums and the two Dio albums are all masterpieces. N.I.B.

5 Ozzy- I love almost everything on the first 7 solo albums, after that I hate it. Flying High Again.

6 Sinatra- Nobody quite like him. Luck Be A Lady.

7 Sting- He made this list on the strength of Ten Summoners Tales, I think it is the pinnacle of a fantastic career. Seven Days.

8 Jimmy Buffet- From time to time I need to change the scenery in my head. Volcano.

9 Danzig- Delightfully dark, and a little twisted. Dirty Black Summer.

10 Linkin Park- Great energy that fit their time exceptionally well. One Step Closer.

11 Led Zeppelin- There is nothing I can say here that hasn't been said before. Dazed and Confused.

12 Alabama- I blame Mom. I grew up hearing it over and over and over and... Dixieland Delight.

13 Pantera- Mind blowingly heavy and crisp with a groove. Drag the Water.

14 Louis Armstrong- Great nostalgia. A Kiss to Build a Dream On.

15 ZZ Top- Blues and rock with style. Jesus Just Left Chicago/Waiting for the Bus

16 Iron Maiden- Bruce Dickenson is who I want to be; that voice. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

17 Neil Young- A sound I relate to. I blame Dad, I heard this over and over and... Old Man.

18 Stevie Ray Vaughan- A career cut way to short. Beautiful music to party or cry to. Pride and Joy.

19 P!nk- I don't care what anybody says, Alicia Moore is one talented woman. Her lyrics resonate truth and honesty and she rocks. Sober.

20 Bob Seger- I love Uncle Bob. I can't think of one Seger song I don't like. Some I like more than others, but none I don't like. Sunspot Baby.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Phil Collins/Genesis: Stop it. I know it's lightweight and the consensus is he wasn't as good as Peter Gabriel.
    Bah.

Phil Collins performed the Gabriel era Genesis tracks live without missing a figurative beat in concert.

IMHO, the loss of guitarist Steve Hackett was a much bigger blow to Genesis than the loss of Gabriel.

As for the original topic, there's no way I can narrow it down to five, much less twenty, so I'll bow out of this thread gracefully. But you can rest assured that Rush, is in my top 5, even though I may be in the minority here.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Why?
    Mostly because I feel as if distance helps me see more clearly. As a teen I loved Styx; now I find them pretentious. I think it's a safe bet the Avetts will hold up.

btw, add Peter Gabriel and Neil Young to those I forgot. Maybe when this is through I'll have a real list.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Afghan Whigs
    Superchunk
    What are your favorite albums for these three bands?

Haha me and my friends dictated a lot of their between-song banter that night, but I don't think the discussion is very RZ-friendly...
    The last time I saw them, a Michael Jackson joke somehow got brought up, and then the audience got to spend a couple minutes telling Michael Jackson jokes. Of course, anyone who participated was ridiculed to no end. At any point did they tell the crowd to stop dancing/moshing?

The ten I rotate into the player the most. Alphabetically:

The Beatles
    Garth Brooks
    Counting Crows
    Eminem
    James Maynard Keenan(A Perfect Circle, Puscifer, Tool)
    Korn
    Led Zeppelin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Simon and Garfunkel
    System of a Down
    Is it "next season" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    I used to go see them when I was in HS in Louisville. Twice-told Coffee House. Shannon Lawson dated the hostess at the restaurant where I worked. I've still got and listen to their two CD's.

Are you saying you were a member of the group or that you would sit in?
    Nope. Just sat in. Harmonica and rythm guitar.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

In no particular order:

Rich Mullins
    Ray Charles
    Alison Krauss
    Bebo Norman
    The Bothy Band
    Dervish
    Jim Cole
    Jim Croce
    Kevin Burke
    Matt Molloy
    Laurence Nugent
    Michael Card
    Russ Taff-Under Their Influence and The Way Home were great albums.
    Chet Atkins
    Altan

I like some of what I hear from Adele, but she doesn't have enough material out yet to see if she cracks the list or not. I think 21 is better than 19.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

The last time I saw them, a Michael Jackson joke somehow got brought up, and then the audience got to spend a couple minutes telling Michael Jackson jokes. Of course, anyone who participated was ridiculed to no end. At any point did they tell the crowd to stop dancing/moshing?
    No--is that something they do? The pit was pretty big and they seemed to be loving it.

For their encore, their new guitarist went down into the crowd, grabbed a kid, put him in a headlock, and dragged him onto the stage...

Turn Off Ads?