Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotation?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

Hamilton struck out 20.2% of the time he stepped to the plate in AA last season. With very little power. In 650 PA's, that would be 131 strikeouts. If he can keep the same rate as he had in AA. He had a walk rate in AA that rivaled Joey Votto. That isn't going to keep up in the Majors. I would rather play the safe side with Hamilton, send him to AAA and let him work on making contact at a better rate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

Sign ichiro to play left and personally mentor BHam on being a contact hitter and base stealer. That would also make for one heckuva defensive outfield. Where fly balls go to die. Also gives Votto some runners to drive in.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I was pleased with the step forward Hamilton took this year at the plate, and I'm on board with the switch to center field. But he's not quite ready for the major leagues in my opinion. He was a project from the get-go and he didn't suddenly jump to the ultra-fast track just because he nicely survived the promotion to Double-A. If he ends up busting the door down during the season, fine, but the Reds shouldn't make their 2013 plans around it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Hamilton can't steal first base. The Reds already have a CF afflicted with that issue. I'd prefer that the next one master hitting AAA pitching to watching a new guy flame out at the plate in a Reds uniform.
    /r/reds

If he starts hot, bring him up in late May, but really no sooner. I'm with Doug, I really don't want to rely on that walk rate holding up just yet. But I'd start him in AAA and not worry about Lamarre, who's eta would seem to be 2014 or late 2013 anyway.

Challenge thy hitters--Princeton
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

....we've been reds fans for so long that it's been drilled into us that reds prospects need to be held in the minors for as long as possible.

I wonder. The goal of the organization is to win. Win now....win later....just win....sometime.

Looking at the reds salary structure and ability to pay....even if it costs Billy Hamilton the absolute top edge of his potential development range....the best thing for the reds may be to turn Billy Hamilton into something they can use right now.

Even if that means trading him?

yeah....yeah. I think so. They need a centerfielder who can get on base. It's one of the big needs of the organization...here you have this guy.....so close, but not there yet. I think you have to give him a chance.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Sign ichiro to play left and personally mentor BHam on being a contact hitter and base stealer. That would also make for one heckuva defensive outfield. Where fly balls go to die. Also gives Votto some runners to drive in.
    Towards the end of his career I kept hoping the reds would do this with Gregg Maddox. Yeah. I like this idea.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    ....we've been reds fans for so long that it's been drilled into us that reds prospects need to be held in the minors for as long as possible.
    YEa, I was thinking along these lines too.
    Our CF was so OBP challenged last year that Billy has a low bar to improve upon.
    I think the team is good enough where they could handle Billy taking 1/2 season to adjust to the big leagues, if that's what it takes.

I guess if it was up to me (barring spring training data), I'd put Billy in AAA for the first month of the season.. If he continues to hit and draw walks like he did in AAA, bring him up.. If he struggles, be patient.
    On the other hand, if he looks great in spring training (the scouts' eye), why not just make him the Opening day CF and live with the growing pains?
    Letting Billy grow at the big league level in 2013 may pay great dividends in 2014 as well..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    You must not have been around for the JimBo years.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton struck out 20.2% of the time he stepped to the plate in AA last season. With very little power. In 650 PA's, that would be 131 strikeouts. If he can keep the same rate as he had in AA. He had a walk rate in AA that rivaled Joey Votto. That isn't going to keep up in the Majors. I would rather play the safe side with Hamilton, send him to AAA and let him work on making contact at a better rate.
    I actually got excited when I saw he would only strike out 131 times. That' sad.

If you want Billy Hamilton's bat (speed) in the Cincinnati lineup in 2013, I say put him in LF and let Stubbs keep playing CF.

Bat Hamilton 1, Stubbs 2, and Votto 3.

If Hamilton can get on base at a respectable clip, Stubbs sees a healthy diet of fastballs with Hamilton on the bases and Votto in the on deck circle.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    If you want Billy Hamilton's bat (speed) in the Cincinnati lineup in 2013, I say put him in LF and let Stubbs keep playing CF.

Bat Hamilton 1, Stubbs 2, and Votto 3.

If Hamilton can get on base at a respectable clip, Stubbs sees a healthy diet of fastballs with Hamilton on the bases and Votto in the on deck circle.
    If Hamilton can steal 1B........well, if he can get on first base. And that means the next hitter sees a heavy dose of fastballs.........then bat Bruce or Votto or Phillips second in the order, not Stubbs.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Much of the uncertainty will exist until the Reds figure out what to do with Aroldis Chapman.

"We haven't made a decision on Chapman as a starter or as a reliever," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "We're talking about it."

Part of what determines if Chapman starts involves how well the Reds navigate their way around the free-agent market for closers.

"It depends on if we re-sign [Jonathan] Broxton and [Ryan] Madson," Jocketty said. "Or if we get another closer."

Madson spent all of 2012 rehabilitating from Tommy John surgery but would like to be a closer again. He saved 32 of 34 opportunities for the Phillies in 2011.

Jocketty has been in touch with the representatives for the free agents, Broxton and Madson. There is mutual interest from both sides in having them return. Neither is expected to land giant contracts.

Other closers on the open market that could be reasonably priced include Jose Valverde, Joakim Soria, Brett Myers and Matt Capps. There are also potential in-house options the Reds could look at, like Sam LeCure, Logan Ondrusek or J.J. Hoover.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Soria? Hey I wouldn't mind that at all.

Turn Off Ads?