Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotation?

Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You must not have been around for the JimBo years.
    No. That's precisely one of the reasons we would think that prospects need to be held on the farm forever. We saw so many of Jimbo's overhyped and overpromoted prospects fail.

I think Hamilton will have a really tough adjustment period, but when he catches on I think he'll be a very useful player.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    No. That's precisely one of the reasons we would think that prospects need to be held on the farm forever. We saw so many of Jimbo's overhyped and overpromoted prospects fail.

I think Hamilton will have a really tough adjustment period, but when he catches on I think he'll be a very useful player.
    One thing to keep in mind is the finances. Bringing a player up earlier accelerates the arbitration clock, making him more expensive and resulting in less money spent on other players. It also means the player is eligible for free agency sooner. I'd rather the Reds err on the side of caution.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Towards the end of his career I kept hoping the reds would do this with Gregg Maddox. Yeah. I like this idea.
    Play him in left field?

Just kidding.

From Jerry Crasnick chat:
    Alex (OH)

What do you see the Reds doing to address their need at lead-off? It is hard to see them signing anyone to a long term deal with Billy Hamilton about a year or so away.
    Jerry Crasnick (1:22 PM)

Alex, I asked someone about this yesterday, and I think they're inclined to just go with the status quo (Drew Stubbs in center) until Billy Hamilton is ready. I've heard he looks pretty good in CF in the Arizona Fall League. The Reds people seem cautiously optimistic that he might be ready midway through the 2013 season -- if not sooner.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...jerry-crasnick

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the finances. Bringing a player up earlier accelerates the arbitration clock, making him more expensive and resulting in less money spent on other players. It also means the player is eligible for free agency sooner. I'd rather the Reds err on the side of caution.
    Now, That is old style reds thinking!
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Jocketty says that moving Chapman to the rotation is dependent upon their ability to re-sign Madson and/or Broxton?

C'mon. I think that's like saying who I vote for President is dependent upon whether the stock market goes up or down today. I think the Reds need to make a fundamental decision on where Chapman will help the team the most over the next five years, then act accordingly with regards to other signings and acquisitions.

In addition, wasn't Marshall re-signed to the big extension with the thought that he would eventually be the closer?
    Go BLUE!!!

Alex, I asked someone about this yesterday, and I think they're inclined to just go with the status quo (Drew Stubbs in center) until Billy Hamilton is ready.
    I can't think of any reason why this would make sense...even if for just half a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jocketty says that moving Chapman to the rotation is dependent upon their ability to re-sign Madson and/or Broxton?

C'mon. I think that's like saying who I vote for President is dependent upon whether the stock market goes up or down today. I think the Reds need to make a fundamental decision on where Chapman will help the team the most over the next five years, then act accordingly with regards to other signings and acquisitions.
    My only guess is that they're making actual decisions behind closed doors and feeding this sort of slop to the fans. There's a very real possibility Chapman is just not good at starting and management knows it, but based on these articles, a reliever can't stub his toe without Chapman being moved back to the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    My only guess is that they're making actual decisions behind closed doors and feeding this sort of slop to the fans. There's a very real possibility Chapman is just not good at starting and management knows it, but based on these articles, a reliever can't stub his toe without Chapman being moved back to the pen.
    I don't think that's the case. Remember that Chapman was a starter in spring and he performed really well. In fact, the Reds said several times he was their best starter in spring. Up until Madson's injury, or at least until they knew the severity of his injury, Chapman was likely beating out Bailey or Leake for the last spot.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I can't think of any reason why this would make sense...even if for just half a season.
    Because the Reds, as it stands right now, are still significantly better than the other teams in the division. Giving Hamilton the time that he likely needs in AAA is not likely to be the difference in the Reds season.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

In addition, wasn't Marshall re-signed to the big extension with the thought that he would eventually be the closer?
    That's exactly what I would say at this point. It give the team negotiating power with Madsen, Broxton and any other reliever they are looking at. If they commit to moving Chapman to the rotation right now, then relievers wanting to sign with the club can say that the Reds have a hole to fill.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think the Reds don't want to tip their hand, as possible negotiations go on with free agents and possible trade discussions take place. To engrave something in stone can back you into a corner.

The Reds have flexibility. And that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Makes sense to me.
    The Reds won the division with Stubbs in CF last year.
    If they can replace Rolen and Ludwick's contributions, the lineup is good enough to make the playoffs with Stubbs.
    If Hamilton comes up in June/July and siezes the job then Stubbs is not playing in the postseason.
    It makes more sense than trading prospects to rent a CF for a season or less while Billy gets ready. (e.g overpaying for Span).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Makes sense to me.
    The Reds won the division with Stubbs in CF last year.
    If they can replace Rolen and Ludwick's contributions, the lineup is good enough to make the playoffs with Stubbs.
    If Hamilton comes up in June/July and siezes the job then Stubbs is not playing in the postseason.
    It makes more sense than trading prospects to rent a CF for a season or less while Billy gets ready. (e.g overpaying for Span).
    I think alot of people are clamoring for change, just for changes sake. The Reds were by far the best team in the division. No need for any significant changes.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because the Reds, as it stands right now, are still significantly better than the other teams in the division. Giving Hamilton the time that he likely needs in AAA is not likely to be the difference in the Reds season.
    No, giving Stubbs any more playing time than a back up role. I get it with BH.

Turn Off Ads?