Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 70

Thread: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotation?

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,600

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You must not have been around for the JimBo years.
    No. That's precisely one of the reasons we would think that prospects need to be held on the farm forever. We saw so many of Jimbo's overhyped and overpromoted prospects fail.

    I think Hamilton will have a really tough adjustment period, but when he catches on I think he'll be a very useful player.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    No. That's precisely one of the reasons we would think that prospects need to be held on the farm forever. We saw so many of Jimbo's overhyped and overpromoted prospects fail.

    I think Hamilton will have a really tough adjustment period, but when he catches on I think he'll be a very useful player.
    One thing to keep in mind is the finances. Bringing a player up earlier accelerates the arbitration clock, making him more expensive and resulting in less money spent on other players. It also means the player is eligible for free agency sooner. I'd rather the Reds err on the side of caution.

  4. #33
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,495

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Towards the end of his career I kept hoping the reds would do this with Gregg Maddox. Yeah. I like this idea.
    Play him in left field?

    Just kidding.

  5. #34
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    From Jerry Crasnick chat:
    Alex (OH)

    What do you see the Reds doing to address their need at lead-off? It is hard to see them signing anyone to a long term deal with Billy Hamilton about a year or so away.
    Jerry Crasnick (1:22 PM)

    Alex, I asked someone about this yesterday, and I think they're inclined to just go with the status quo (Drew Stubbs in center) until Billy Hamilton is ready. I've heard he looks pretty good in CF in the Arizona Fall League. The Reds people seem cautiously optimistic that he might be ready midway through the 2013 season -- if not sooner.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...jerry-crasnick

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,600

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the finances. Bringing a player up earlier accelerates the arbitration clock, making him more expensive and resulting in less money spent on other players. It also means the player is eligible for free agency sooner. I'd rather the Reds err on the side of caution.
    Now, That is old style reds thinking!
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,782

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Jocketty says that moving Chapman to the rotation is dependent upon their ability to re-sign Madson and/or Broxton?

    C'mon. I think that's like saying who I vote for President is dependent upon whether the stock market goes up or down today. I think the Reds need to make a fundamental decision on where Chapman will help the team the most over the next five years, then act accordingly with regards to other signings and acquisitions.

    In addition, wasn't Marshall re-signed to the big extension with the thought that he would eventually be the closer?
    Go BLUE!!!

  8. #37
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,732

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Alex, I asked someone about this yesterday, and I think they're inclined to just go with the status quo (Drew Stubbs in center) until Billy Hamilton is ready.
    I can't think of any reason why this would make sense...even if for just half a season.
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  9. #38
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,778

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jocketty says that moving Chapman to the rotation is dependent upon their ability to re-sign Madson and/or Broxton?

    C'mon. I think that's like saying who I vote for President is dependent upon whether the stock market goes up or down today. I think the Reds need to make a fundamental decision on where Chapman will help the team the most over the next five years, then act accordingly with regards to other signings and acquisitions.
    My only guess is that they're making actual decisions behind closed doors and feeding this sort of slop to the fans. There's a very real possibility Chapman is just not good at starting and management knows it, but based on these articles, a reliever can't stub his toe without Chapman being moved back to the pen.

  10. #39
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,492

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    My only guess is that they're making actual decisions behind closed doors and feeding this sort of slop to the fans. There's a very real possibility Chapman is just not good at starting and management knows it, but based on these articles, a reliever can't stub his toe without Chapman being moved back to the pen.
    I don't think that's the case. Remember that Chapman was a starter in spring and he performed really well. In fact, the Reds said several times he was their best starter in spring. Up until Madson's injury, or at least until they knew the severity of his injury, Chapman was likely beating out Bailey or Leake for the last spot.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  11. #40
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I can't think of any reason why this would make sense...even if for just half a season.
    Because the Reds, as it stands right now, are still significantly better than the other teams in the division. Giving Hamilton the time that he likely needs in AAA is not likely to be the difference in the Reds season.

  12. #41
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,931

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jocketty says that moving Chapman to the rotation is dependent upon their ability to re-sign Madson and/or Broxton?

    C'mon. I think that's like saying who I vote for President is dependent upon whether the stock market goes up or down today. I think the Reds need to make a fundamental decision on where Chapman will help the team the most over the next five years, then act accordingly with regards to other signings and acquisitions.

    In addition, wasn't Marshall re-signed to the big extension with the thought that he would eventually be the closer?
    That's exactly what I would say at this point. It give the team negotiating power with Madsen, Broxton and any other reliever they are looking at. If they commit to moving Chapman to the rotation right now, then relievers wanting to sign with the club can say that the Reds have a hole to fill.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  13. #42
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    I think the Reds don't want to tip their hand, as possible negotiations go on with free agents and possible trade discussions take place. To engrave something in stone can back you into a corner.

    The Reds have flexibility. And that's a good thing.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  14. #43
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,920

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I can't think of any reason why this would make sense...even if for just half a season.
    Makes sense to me.
    The Reds won the division with Stubbs in CF last year.
    If they can replace Rolen and Ludwick's contributions, the lineup is good enough to make the playoffs with Stubbs.
    If Hamilton comes up in June/July and siezes the job then Stubbs is not playing in the postseason.
    It makes more sense than trading prospects to rent a CF for a season or less while Billy gets ready. (e.g overpaying for Span).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #44
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,218

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Makes sense to me.
    The Reds won the division with Stubbs in CF last year.
    If they can replace Rolen and Ludwick's contributions, the lineup is good enough to make the playoffs with Stubbs.
    If Hamilton comes up in June/July and siezes the job then Stubbs is not playing in the postseason.
    It makes more sense than trading prospects to rent a CF for a season or less while Billy gets ready. (e.g overpaying for Span).
    I think alot of people are clamoring for change, just for changes sake. The Reds were by far the best team in the division. No need for any significant changes.

  16. #45
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,732

    Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because the Reds, as it stands right now, are still significantly better than the other teams in the division. Giving Hamilton the time that he likely needs in AAA is not likely to be the difference in the Reds season.
    No, giving Stubbs any more playing time than a back up role. I get it with BH.
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25