Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bargain Basement

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: The Bargain Basement

All of this platooning is mularkey. You all assume Dusty will use them correctly, which he never does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another bargain name on the waiver wire right now is Danny Valencia. He was terrible in 2012, but he's decent at 3B and in 2010 went .374/.441/.525/.967 in 111 PAs against LHP. In 2011 he went .309/.352/.470/.822 in 159 PAs against LHP. Even with an awful 2012, his career line vs. LHP is .316/.359/.472/.831 in 359 PAs. I'd rather have Rolen playing 3B against LHP, but if Rolen retires and the budget is tight. sticking Frazier in LF and splitting 3B between a couple cheap additions wouldn't be the worst thing.

Deal for Betemit and if Rolen comes back let them split it. If Rolen retires, Valencia might not be bad. If he stinks they can always cut him after a couple months. By then a kid might be ready in the OF to push Frazier back to 3B.

The Reds need 5 bodies or so for the big league team. Either a primary LF or 3B who can help on offense, a middle infielder, a back-up corner IF, a reliever and lead-off/centerfielder. They are going to have to go cheap on some of those spots. I'd spend most of what is available on CF and the bullpen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I've been intrigued by Valencia, but more as a Louisville project.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This offseason is shaping up to look like the offseason after 2010. Seems like alot of teams are overspending on average players.

Last offseason seemed like the big names, Pujols, etc. were getting the big money and teams were hedging spending on average guys.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    All of this platooning is mularkey. You all assume Dusty will use them correctly, which he never does.
    Has Baker ever had any true platoon partners to use?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Has Baker ever had any true platoon partners to use?
    Gomes/Nix
    Taveras/Dickerson
    Patterson/Dickerson
    Gomes/Lewis

This game moves so fast, completely forgot Fred Lewis had a stint here.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Gomes/Nix
    Taveras/Dickerson
    Patterson/Dickerson
    Gomes/Lewis
    Patterson and Dickerson were both lefty bats.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Patterson and Dickerson were both lefty bats.
    Oops. I copy-pasta'd wrong. I meant Freel.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Gomes/Nix
    Taveras/Dickerson
    Patterson/Dickerson
    Gomes/Lewis
    I think Nix was used in a lot of platoon situations.

Honestly, Lewis and Dickerson were just bad players.

I think Dusty is effective at rotating bench bats into the game, but he considers other things besides whether the opposing starter is LH or RH.. In other words, Dusty doesn't do strict platoons, but he is good at leveraging the strengths of his bench players. He tends to start them against pitchers that he feels he will have successa against.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I disagree that Dickerson was a bad player. He was a good player who couldn't stay healthy, ever.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I disagree that Dickerson was a bad player. He was a good player who couldn't stay healthy, ever.
    Agree. His career .352 OBP would have looked good at the top of our lineup last year compared to what they ran out there. Career 101 OPS+. Not a star but he'd be a useful player if he would be healthy and someone would actually roster him for a full season, since NYY has stuck him at AAA of late.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#HpVO3Mc8JcCtQp5r.99

Giants Likely To Non-Tender Brian Wilson
    By Steve Adams [November 26 at 8:47pm CST]
    Brian Wilson has saved 171 games for the Giants dating back to 2006, but now, following his Tommy John surgery earlier this year, it appears likely that he'll be non-tendered, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.

As Schulman notes, teams must pay arbitration-eligible players at least 80 percent of their previous salary, which would mean the minimum offer the Giants can make Wilson is $6.8MM. That's a hefty price tag for a closer coming off Tommy John, even if he was elite at his peak. The Giants would like to non-tender Wilson and re-sign him to a one-year deal with a lower base salary, but Wilson isn't as open to that scenario.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#F9P9gyvoxPHxPCDu.99

Although I'm not sure he belongs in the "bargain basement" category, it's expected that Andres Torres will be non-tendered by the Mets. If the Reds spend nearly all their available budget on a left fielder and closer, maybe Torres could be brought in at a reasonable cost to platoon with Drew Stubbs in center. But when I started researching it, I found out he struggles against right-handed pitching and fares much better against lefties. Still, depending on how the off-season unfolds, he might be someone worth keeping in mind.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...orrean02.shtml

Nate McLouth is a lefty batting centerfielder who has stuggled in recent years. He doesn't get on base enough, but he decent splits versus right-handed pitching.

He should be cheap but his hot second half might raise his value.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?