Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Now The Time To Trade Bailey?

Is Now The Time To Trade Bailey?

Just wondering if the Reds should trade Bailey while his trade value is at its peak value or do you think he will be that ace pitcher the Reds envision?
    Last edited by Krusty; 12-04-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Mistake
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Is Now The Time To Trade Bailey?

Latest rumor has the Reds talking to Bailey and Latos about extensions now. I just read it somewhere, but not sure where with all this info going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Latest rumor has the Reds talking to Bailey and Latos about extensions now. I just read it somewhere, but not sure where with all this info going around.
    Sheldon and Fay both reported it after talking to Walt. I also posted in the rumors thread.

I wonder if they are gauging Bailey's expectations and if they are too high they may move him (a la RA Dickey)?

I don't think I'd trade him unless a marquee name like Justin Upton is coming back. Even then it would be tough.

I'd love to get Latos locked up for the next 4-5 years with a bunch of team options a la Shields or Jimenez.
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't think Bailey is necessarily an ace, but I do think he's a solid #2.

Cincinnati has three starters that are at least that good. If Chapman works out as many expect, four. Add Arroyo as a fifth starter (who's been a MOR guy four of the past five years, production-wise), and you've got a real chance at the best rotation in the National League.

When was the last time that happened?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Cincinnati has three starters that are at least that good. If Chapman works out as many expect, four. Add Arroyo as a fifth starter (who's been a MOR guy four of the past five years, production-wise), and you've got a real chance at the best rotation in the National League.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that last year was the last time some team had the best rotation in ther National League......

I agree. Homer doesn't need to be an ace. He needs to be a solid #2 or #3.

The thing is, Homer was rushed too soon to the big leagues and finally, after years of patience, we are seeing him mature. He is right now entering his prime. Why not enjoy a 1-2-3 punch of Cueto, Latos, and Bailey, with Chapman and Arroyo as your #4-#5 guys?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Prior to this group of pitchers, I would guess it may have been the 1939-1940 staff.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Trading Bailey is, IMHO, the surest way to lose the division in 2013.

If there's anything that can stop a playoff caliber team from reaching the playoffs, it's injuries, particularly to the pitching staff. If you trade Bailey, an injury to the rotation means that you're using LeCure, Redmond, Villarreal, et al for an extended period of time--and that's taking for granted that Chapman will be an effective starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Just wondering if the Reds should trade Bailey while his trade value is at its peak value or do you think he will be that ace pitcher the Reds envision?
    No (short answer)

(Longer answer): No one is untouchable. If the Reds had Mickey Mantle in his prime I wouldn't be looking to trade him but if I was offered Willie Mays and Juan Marichal I would make the trade.
    I like pitching depth. If someone wants Homer I would want a good return.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

He's not untouchable, but he'd have to the be the centerpiece in a deal with little else going out from the Reds bringing back an all star caliber player. And while Homer is not a #1 on the Reds I think there are quite a few teams that he could be. I'd like to lock him up for a while, but not sure what kind of years and money he'd be looking for.

I certainly wouldn't hate it if Walt were able to trade Homer for a starting outfielder and then sign a guy like Shaun Marcum, or even a Carlos Villanueva (as a fifth starter), to a short deal.

But I am generally inclined to keep Homer.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

It would take a lot for me to trade one of the 'future four' (Chapman, Cueto, Latos, Bailey).

Jocketty said they are looking to lock both Bailey and Latos up here in the near future. I think Bailey is going to be really good next season, and his value will rise after that. So if they can get his name on paper now that would be great.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Why not enjoy a 1-2-3 punch of Cueto, Latos, and Bailey, with Chapman and Arroyo as your #4-#5 guys?
    Although he's unproven as a starter, hearing "Chapman as a #4" made me at how legendary our rotation could (should) be in 2013.

Turn Off Ads?