Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Bargain Basement

Re: The Bargain Basement

Chris Davis is an absolute butcher any where but 1B, but he can play all four corner spots and his wRC+ v. RH was a more then respectable 122. I'd guess a guy like Mike Leake would really interest Buck Showalter and company. He Ks a ton, but his power would be nice.

You might also look at a guy like Kyle Seager from Seattle. He's an IF with a good bat, good glove, decent patience, solid approach. (Reminds me a bit of Aaron Boone, fwiw.) Leake isn't a real fit there-- unless, of course, they decide to package a couple TOR prospect arms to nab Mike Olt and Elvis Andrus from Texas or Aaron Gordon/ Wil Myers from KC.

Speaking of Gordon, he'd be my top choice, I think. However, he's not a bargain basement player at all, so we can ignore that.

Choo also hits RH well, but is certainly no bargain in prospects or cost either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Non tenders:

Nate Schierholtz OPS north of .800 vs RHP the last 2 seasons
    Ryan Sweeney OBP in the mid .300's vs RHP

Both LH bats for the outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Non tenders:

Sweeney as a platoon partner for Frazier in LF (with Frazier moving to 3B and Rolen getting a rest) wouldn't be the worst idea.

If the Reds could then land a legitimate CF guy who can lead off, you might have something:

Fowler CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Frazier 3B/ LF
    Bruce RF
    Sweeney LF/ Rolen 3B
    Hanigan C
    Cozart/ Gregorius SS

The bench:
    Heisey
    Paul
    Mesoraco
    Gregorius
    Rolen

That's not a bad bench, as Rolen could handle, IMO, a reduced role and thrive.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Non-Tender John Lannan
    By Mike Axisa [November 30 at 9:28pm CST]
    The Nationals have non-tendered John Lannan, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com (on Twitter). The left-hander was projected to earn $5MM during his third trip through arbitration this winter according to Matt Swartz.

Lannan, 28, made only six starts for Washington this year. He pitched to a 4.13 ERA with 4.7 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 32 2/3 innings while spending most of the season in Triple-A despite a hefty $5MM salary. Lannan posted a 4.30 ERA with 5.2 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 while in the minors.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#CFxQISAqBcCgTi4L.99

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Non tenders:

Please, anything but Ryan Sweeney. No speed. No power. He's a placeholder. Dullest player on the planet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Some Guys I still like on the market for backup jobs are:

1) Scott Rolen-3b

2) Adam Kennedy-takes over Cairo role

3) Jeff Keppinger-same as above

4) Randy Choate-LHRP

5) JP Howell-LHRP

Turn Off Ads?