Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Morse: Trade Target?

Re: Michael Morse: Trade Target?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yep. The Reds would have to give up a starting pitcher in the line of someone like Bailey to get him. Also Morse is really a first baseman who is only playing the outfield because LaRoche had such a solid season. He's not very good defensivley but does make up for his deficincies with his bat.
    Why would the Nationals want a starting pitcher? That's the strongest part of their entire club.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Why would the Nationals want a starting pitcher? That's the strongest part of their entire club.
    Bottom line,everyone wants pitching. If they give up a key cog in their offense they will want a starter back. But I highly they are trading Morse anyway.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Mesoraco might get their attention. Add in a bullpen arm (Hoover), and you've likely got a deal.

I'd hate to part with that package, though.

Bottom line,everyone wants pitching. If they give up a key cog in their offense they will want a starter back. But I highly they are trading Morse anyway.
    The Nationals had five guys with ERAs basically below 4 this year. Where do you propose they would want this starting pitcher to play and why do you think they would want to use one of their best assets, based on your suggestion of Morse, to gain something they already have? That really doesn't make any sense.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The Nationals had five guys with ERAs basically below 4 this year. Where do you propose they would want this starting pitcher to play and why do you think they would want to use one of their best assets, based on your suggestion of Morse, to gain something they already have? That really doesn't make any sense.
    Everyone is looking for an upgrade in pitching. IMO Bailey is much better than Detwiler or Jackson. especially if it is the Bailey of the last month or so. Like I said in another post this isn't going to happen anyway so there not much need to discuss it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Everyone is looking for an upgrade in pitching. IMO Bailey is much better than Detwiler or Jackson. especially if it is the Bailey of the last month or so. Like I said in another post this isn't going to happen anyway so there not much need to discuss it.
    Ross Detwiler had a 3.40 ERA this year. As far as sheer production, Bailey was not better than he. And in FIP, even if you ignore ERA, they were almost identical (Bailey a 3.97 FIP and Detwiler a 4.04 FIP.

Edwin Jackson wasn't as good as Bailey in ERA (though he actually had a slightly better FIP), but for the less than half a run difference, is that really worth someone you suggest has a ton of trade value? Either way you look at it, trading for Bailey isn't much of an upgrade for the Nationals unless you assume his last 3-4 starts out of 30+ were the "real" Bailey. It makes no sense to trade one of your best assets for a position that is not of need. There are other positions the Nationals could benefit far greater than acquiring a starting pitcher.
    Last edited by Brutus; 11-06-2012 at 02:12 PM.

The Nats could use some bullpen help, second base, and catcher. I'm not sure we're a good fit at all.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Now I know 4 games is way too early to be saying "I told you so", but...
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Now I know 4 games is way too early to be saying "I told you so", but...
    You've left yourself so ripe for a "Tuffy Rhodes says hello" response.

Morse is an impressively large guy, almost Dunn-ian. I wish him well in Seattle, they need him more than we do.

Is it possible that Morse has finally cracked the code?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Is it possible that Morse has finally cracked the code?

14. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-06-2013),pahster (04-05-2013)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...c63_story.html

Nats GM Mike Rizzo always planned for the team he sees now. “Twenty-seven outs — and no more — that’s our goal,” he said. “You can’t afford to give good teams extra outs or they’ll kill you. We want pitching, defense, athleticism and speed wherever we can get it.

“Michael [Morse] is in the perfect league for him,” added Rizzo. “We’re more of a National League type club — a layered [left-right] lineup, more on-base percentage. And there’s a dramatic difference in our outfield. We took a pretty good center fielder and put him in left. Because Span takes perfect routes to the balls in the gaps, our corner outfielders can shade a little more toward the corners, even get to more balls in foul territory.”

Morse can play defense. He just can't play it well.

Little bit of trivia... he came up through the system originally as a shortstop...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If I didn't know any better WOY, I'd say you just cleverly and subtly killed two discussion birds with one stone.

Turn Off Ads?