Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have a pretty awesome team to root for this year

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

We have a pretty awesome team to root for this year

The Angels are favored by many to win the AL West and maybe advance to the WS. Our favorite team just took 2 of 3 games (and the one win by the Angels was a real competitive struggle). To me that proves the Reds are at least a contender for the WS this year.

Yes, the Reds have some weaknesses, but what team doesn't? How about we focus on the good things instead, and let the bad stuff work itself out?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-05-2013),HeatherC1212 (04-05-2013),mth123 (04-06-2013),remdog (04-06-2013),smixsell (04-04-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We have a pretty awesome team to root for this year

I agree.

And I put my money where my mouth is by placing a 100 spot on the Reds to win the whole shebang this year. (my first baseball bet ever).

Go Reds!

5. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-05-2013)

a little soon, but hopefully you are right

7. Likes:

George Anderson (04-04-2013)

I agree, although I never like to get too cocky as a fan. The Reds got off to a hot start in 2011 too and we all know how that turned out. And then last year they started out awful and won 97 games - go figure.

But I do like this team's chances. If the pitching stays healthy and we don't have any major down years from position players, I think they'll be strong contenders with a chance to make some noise in the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Pitching is a wonderful thing. This organization took 20 years to rediscover it, but it's here, and I love it.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

10. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-05-2013),wolfboy (04-05-2013)

Pitching will carry this team to the playoffs again. If they stay healthy we're looking at a World Series appearance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They have another great test this weekend.

Heck, the month of April will be a good litmus test...tough tough schedule.

I don't know. The Reds Pythag is only 1.5-1.5. I'm expecting some regression from that 2-1 record...

14. Likes:

cincrazy (04-05-2013),Hanover (04-05-2013),redsfan30 (04-05-2013),The Operator (04-05-2013)

Baseball is a marathon and not a sprint. We have run but a block or two in this marathon and while it has been impressive there is still lotsa ground to cover.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Far too early to say how it will play out, but NOT too early to say that the pieces are in place to POTENTIALLY be very good, and they should DEFINITELY be fun to watch...

17. Likes:

remdog (04-06-2013)

Should be a fantastic year...

Cueto and Latos have looked terrific, as has the pitching in general. Choo and Frazier are really going to upgrade the offense. I am concerned about the D though.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Cueto and Latos have looked terrific, as has the pitching in general. Choo and Frazier are really going to upgrade the offense. I am concerned about the D though.
    Were there any particular instances in the first three games that gave you pause? I know the ball that was hit to deep center that Choo didn't get to was a possible example, although from my seat, I couldn't tell whether it went like a bullet or Choo just didn't get a good read on it. That runner, as I recall, didn't score. I can't remember if that was the 1st or 2nd game (Opening Night, I think). I was not in my seat on Frazier's error, so I can't speak to that one, although I heard Marty say on the radio that it took a high bounce, but I haven't gone back and looked at it.

Not looking to be antagonistic, but curious as to whether you or anyone else has seen anything that's concerning yet. Usual caveat, small sample size, thus far.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I am concerned about the D though.
    Why? Heisey's better than Ludwick in LF. Frazier, at this point in his career, is equal to 2012 Rolen. Bruce is likely to play better than last season in RF. And Stubbs never graded out as good as Reds fans insisted he was; over his career, Stubbs was barely above average in CF.

They look an awful lot alike, IMO, with the gloves. Or at least not as bad as the hand-wringing became in the off-season.

They're certainly better than St. Louis or Milwaukee in the division.

22. Likes:

remdog (04-06-2013)

Amen, I'm excited for the Nat's series. If we win the series this weekend, the Reds would start the season by beating arguably the best team in the NL AND AL. This is awesome. We haven't been able to say something like that in DECADES!

Turn Off Ads?