Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest comeback in Riverfront Stadium history…49 years ago tonight

Greatest comeback in Riverfront Stadium history…49 years ago tonight

On July 25, 1974, my older brother got off work early to take me to a Reds twi-night doubleheader against the San Francisco Giants at Riverfront Stadium. The Reds were again looking to overtake the Dodgers in the NL West, just like the previous season, and were taking on a Bobby Bonds-led Giants squad.

We arrived in the middle of the first inning and the Giants already owned a 3-0 lead. But the Reds scored five times in the second inning and added a couple more runs in the third to go up 7-4. But the Giants kept scoring and eventually held a 13-9 lead going into the bottom of the ninth.

Since closer Randy Moffitt was on the mound, it appeared the Reds were on the way to a loss. The Reds battled and cut the deficit to 13-12 with two outs when Johnny Bench grounded a ball to the right side that was fielded by first baseman Dave Kingman. Moffitt, however, didn’t cover first base and Bench easily beat Kingman to the bag for an infield hit.

That brought to the plate Tony Perez. Giants led 13-12. Two outs. We were in the red seats down the left-field line. I remember it like it happened two seconds ago. Perez hammered a shot to center field. It was more of a line drive than a fly ball. The center fielder broke back as if he might catch the drive. The ball kept going until it cleared the wall in straightaway center field. The reaction from the huge crowd was priceless as the Reds capped a five-run ninth inning for an incredible 14-13 win.

The Reds completed the sweep in the second game with an easy 5-0 win. The Dodgers were once again looking into their rearview mirror as the Reds were closing in. The Dodgers held on to win the NL West, but I never forgot that ninth-inning rally against the Giants on July 25, 1974. I can’t imagine there has ever been a crazier game - or more incredible ninth-inning comeback — in Riverfront Stadium history.

According to a newspaper story three years ago, that ninth-inning home run by Perez might have been the first time Marty Brennaman ended a game with his famous “And this one belongs to the Reds.” I was at the game and wasn’t listening. Thankfully. It was Marty's first season as the Reds radio guy. But 49 years ago today, that comeback happened in Riverfront Stadium and made a 12-year-old boy very happy.
    “What are you looking at? You're laborers; you should be laboring. That's what you get for not having an education.” Dr. Jerry Hathaway in Real Genius

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-26-2023),Caesar2727 (07-25-2023),cumberlandreds (07-25-2023),goreds2 (07-25-2023),Ky Fried Redleg (07-25-2023),mth123 (07-25-2023),Roy Tucker (07-25-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greatest comeback in Riverfront Stadium history…49 years ago tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Reds197576 View Post
    On July 25, 1974, my older brother got off work early to take me to a Reds twi-night doubleheader against the San Francisco Giants at Riverfront Stadium. The Reds were again looking to overtake the Dodgers in the NL West, just like the previous season, and were taking on a Bobby Bonds-led Giants squad.

We arrived in the middle of the first inning and the Giants already owned a 3-0 lead. But the Reds scored five times in the second inning and added a couple more runs in the third to go up 7-4. But the Giants kept scoring and eventually held a 13-9 lead going into the bottom of the ninth.

Since closer Randy Moffitt was on the mound, it appeared the Reds were on the way to a loss. The Reds battled and cut the deficit to 13-12 with two outs when Johnny Bench grounded a ball to the right side that was fielded by first baseman Dave Kingman. Moffitt, however, didn’t cover first base and Bench easily beat Kingman to the bag for an infield hit.

That brought to the plate Tony Perez. Giants led 13-12. Two outs. We were in the red seats down the left-field line. I remember it like it happened two seconds ago. Perez hammered a shot to center field. It was more of a line drive than a fly ball. The center fielder broke back as if he might catch the drive. The ball kept going until it cleared the wall in straightaway center field. The reaction from the huge crowd was priceless as the Reds capped a five-run ninth inning for an incredible 14-13 win.

The Reds completed the sweep in the second game with an easy 5-0 win. The Dodgers were once again looking into their rearview mirror as the Reds were closing in. The Dodgers held on to win the NL West, but I never forgot that ninth-inning rally against the Giants on July 25, 1974. I can’t imagine there has ever been a crazier game - or more incredible ninth-inning comeback — in Riverfront Stadium history.

According to a newspaper story three years ago, that ninth-inning home run by Perez might have been the first time Marty Brennaman ended a game with his famous “And this one belongs to the Reds.” I was at the game and wasn’t listening. Thankfully. It was Marty's first season as the Reds radio guy. But 49 years ago today, that comeback happened in Riverfront Stadium and made a 12-year-old boy very happy.
    I am too young to remember that one. The craziest one I can remember is the Dunn walk off grand slam.

I remember listening to that game. It was one of the more remarkable comebacks you would ever want to see or listen to in my case.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 07-25-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6. Likes:

Reds197576 (07-25-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I was too young to enjoy that one. However, I do have a bit of a story about another comeback in a game I attended in person. This one was in the late 80s. I think it was a game against the Pirates, and the Reds scored a bunch of runs late to win. The interesting thing is that the people I was with decided to leave early, and I went with them. We missed the entire comeback. Listened to it on the radio, instead. And that moment I decided I was never going to leave a sporting event early because my team was down big.

Turns out, that lesson served me well a few years later when I was attending Florida State. Playing the University of Florida in 1994, the Seminoles fell behind 31-3 going into the 4th quarter. They scored 4 touchdowns while holding the Gators scoreless. Came back to tie, and with a few extra seconds, had a chance to kick a long field goal to win it. I stayed for the entire thing, even when my friends wanted to leave. One of the most exciting events I've ever seen in person. And all because of the lesson I learned several years earlier.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-26-2023),cumberlandreds (07-25-2023),Revering4Blue (07-26-2023),Sassy Sal (07-25-2023)

Gullett, you stole my thunder. lol This was gonna be my "This Day in Reds Baseball " for today. It's a game I'll never forget. I remember exactly where I was when Doggie hit the homer. One of my favorite games of all time.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

10. Likes:

Reds197576 (07-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I remember listening to that game. It was one of the more remarkable comebacks you would ever want to see or listen to in my case.
    It was a back and forth affair all game long. When the Giants went up 4 in the ninth, I thought it was over. Boy, was I wrong!!!
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

12. Likes:

Reds197576 (07-25-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Gullett, you stole my thunder. lol This was gonna be my "This Day in Reds Baseball " for today. It's a game I'll never forget. I remember exactly where I was when Doggie hit the homer. One of my favorite games of all time.
    It is definitely my favorite Reds regular-season game of all-time. There was so much going on in that game, and then Perez hits the winning two-run homer to end it. Little-known fact in that game: Jack Billingham, one of the Reds top starters, actually had to brought in relief and picked up the victory in that wild game.
    Last edited by Reds197576; 07-25-2023 at 11:38 AM.
    “What are you looking at? You're laborers; you should be laboring. That's what you get for not having an education.” Dr. Jerry Hathaway in Real Genius

Greatest comeback in Riverfront Stadium history…49 years ago tonight

I was at that DHer as well. In the star of the game show, Tony told Joe in that think accent of his "I heet de ball good, Joe." A great memory for sure. I remember the night cap felt like a let down after the excitement of Game 1. I also remember spending alot of time back and forth to the concession stand lol
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-25-2023),Reds197576 (07-25-2023)

Walk off homers were much rarer back then for whatever reasons(the first that comes to mind is that not everyone could hit 25 HRs a season). And I believe that Perez had one at a game I was at on 5/29 the same year against the Mets. In the 10th inning. While Perez was clutch, those might be the only two of his career with the Reds at least. If he had more I doubt it was more than 1 or 2 more.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I was at that DHer as well. In the star of the game show, Tony told Joe in that think accent of his "I heet de ball good, Joe." A great memory for sure. I remember the night cap felt like a let down after the excitement of Game 1. I also remember spending alot of time back and forth to the concession stand lol
    I didn't hear the star of the game show that night, but I remember Perez and that familiar accent on other shows while he was with the Reds. You are correct about the nightcap as well. It seemed like Perez's home run totally demoralized the Giants and, if I recall, Ken Griffey blasted a home run to spark the Reds to the sweep. Fred Norman pitched in the nightcap and had no trouble beating the Giants. But that first game was just an incredible win for the Reds.

I was 2 days old

I remember a Perez walk off HR in 76 also to dead CF off the Cardinals AL Hrabosky. Remember it being one of the 35 Reds TV network games.
    I have vague memories of 73. I saw one of the Mets playoff games. But in 74 I was getting into it. By 75 I was full blown.
    The day Rose moved to 3B was the NBC game of the week. What many don't remember is Foster wasn't in LF that day he was in RF with Driessen in LF.
    Pete also moved back to LF late in the game. He would play LF a handful of times after the move to 3B but after a month or so the move was permant.
    People complain about the lineup daily now. Don't realize that the 75 76 starting 8 from may 75 to the end of the 76 season only started together 63 times in the regular season and all 17 postseason games. Record in the 80 games were and incredible 64 wins and 16 losses. 50 wins 13 losses in the regular season.

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I remember a Perez walk off HR in 76 also to dead CF off the Cardinals AL Hrabosky. Remember it being one of the 35 Reds TV network games.
    I have vague memories of 73. I saw one of the Mets playoff games. But in 74 I was getting into it. By 75 I was full blown.
    The day Rose moved to 3B was the NBC game of the week. What many don't remember is Foster wasn't in LF that day he was in RF with Driessen in LF.
    Pete also moved back to LF late in the game. He would play LF a handful of times after the move to 3B but after a month or so the move was permant.
    People complain about the lineup daily now. Don't realize that the 75 76 starting 8 from may 75 to the end of the 76 season only started together 63 times in the regular season and all 17 postseason games. Record in the 80 games were and incredible 64 wins and 16 losses. 50 wins 13 losses in the regular season.
    I didn't know that about NBC! I knew the night before we listened to the game on radio and Larvell Blanks hit a home run off Clay Kirby in the ninth inning to give the Braves the win over the Reds. Larvell Blanks, who stood about 5-foot-6! He seemed to always hurt the Reds! And people might not realize that 1975 Reds team posted a 41-9 record during one stretch and set a MLB record with 15 consecutive errorless games. That is incredible. All of that happened after the Rose switch to third base.

I was there front row green seats behind home plate (my friend and I got the tickets from scalpers as we arrived at bottom of 2nd). Perez swung and missed and count was 0-2 when he connected. The ball climbed until it was eye level to us and went out in dead center. Fans went crazy and continued until they announced starters for game 2. We all went wild when they announced Tony. Never seen a more exciting game before or since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

23. Likes:

I was at this game. Down 4-0 going into the B9 against Eric Gagne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsNT3wk1fR0

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-26-2023)

Turn Off Ads?