Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 200

Thread: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

  1. #46
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    A little heavier than my usual listen, but they were excellent live.

    Alestorm-Shipwrecked

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDOFzu-6MD4

    Weird. Good. Fun. Alestorm seems to enjoy beer, ale and rum. How can that not be good?
    "Keelhauled" is just magnificient in its historical reality.

    i enjoy in "Terrorthroes of the Deathsquid" when Chris channels his inner-Dani Filth.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKyNTwD3Yk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,614
    Coming to Bogarts (or a venue near you, for the nonlocals)

    Testament
    Overkill
    Flotsam and Jetsam.

    Feb. 20

    I'm there.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

  4. #48
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Coming to Bogarts (or a venue near you, for the nonlocals)

    Testament
    Overkill
    Flotsam and Jetsam.

    Feb. 20

    I'm there.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    oooooooo....that's even the time of year i don't travel for work.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  5. #49
    Member RedLegsToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    597

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Coming to Bogarts (or a venue near you, for the nonlocals)

    Testament
    Overkill
    Flotsam and Jetsam.

    Feb. 20

    I'm there.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    oh my! It's 80's Metal night at Bogarts! Though Testament's latest album is awesome...

  6. #50
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    oh my! It's 80's Metal night at Bogarts! Though Testament's latest album is awesome...
    Overkill's last two are awesome. Right up there with the classics. Ironbound was my album of the year for 2010.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    335

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Coming to Bogarts (or a venue near you, for the nonlocals)

    Testament
    Overkill
    Flotsam and Jetsam.

    Feb. 20
    Ive seen all 3 at different times
    Testament '90 Practice what you preach tour. Opening for Megadeth,Judas priest. Megadeth touring behind rust in peace Priest painkiller tour
    Saw Overkill twice once they were touring for the Taking over and a couple of years later touring for Years of Decay .haven't seen them since they went to the 2 guitar lineup but overkill certainly delivers.

    Flotsam and Jetsam saw em round 87'sh or 88 touring for there No place for disgrace album. They were also really good live but they've changed there sound somewhat since then . Testament and Overkill same bill
    Last edited by cinredsfan2000; 11-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.

  8. #52
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,614

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Interesting news here.

    http://www.bravewords.com/news/194690

    JON OLIVA'S PAIN drummer/producer Christopher Kinder has checked in with the following update:

    "We thank you all for your patience with regards to announcing our new recording plans. While JOP is very much intact and focused on new music and future touring... JON OLIVA will release his first ever solo record in early 2013.




    Jon has assembled a collection of ideas from the past 4-5 years and wants the opportunity to present them as his own work. Jon will be recording nearly all the instrument tracks and vocals himself and also playing drums on several tracks. Once again, I have the honor of recording the bulk of the drum tracks on the new CD, but this record will have been created from start to finish with Jon being completely at the helm."

    Oliva himself commented: "Iíve got some weird ideas that I wanna try and Iíve got some time to do it. I donít want do just 'another' JOP record. Iíve done four of those already. I wanna do something different. I have some material that Iíve wanted to put out for a while, that Iíll talk with the record company about, maybe putting something out quickly, like in the next four or five months, to give me more time to do this JOP record. I want the next JOP CD to be very special. Iíve got some great friends from other bands that are going to be a significant part of the next JOP release. We are going to do a killer JOP record and then an additional bonus CD with guest stars... kind of like the AVANTASIA thing but not in a story line. Tobias Sammet does a magnificent job with it, but I donít have that much time to write a whole story, so Iíll just have some powerhouse friends from various bands come in and take it over the top."

    Drum recordings begin at the legendary Morrisound Studios in mid December. The record will be released via AFM in the spring of 2013.

  9. #53
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    reading that actually made me giddy.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.

  10. #54
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    reading that actually made me giddy.
    Same here!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  11. #55
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,614

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    You two will appreciate this....I'm actually seeing TSO for the first time next Sunday. It took me awhile to embrace the idea of TSO...seeing as how it pretty much killed off one of my favorite bands, but I'm looking forward to it. Glad I got to see the 'Tage 3 times though.

    I just wish I could fit into one of my old Savatage shirts, so I could represent the old school.

  12. #56
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    What if this is as good as it gets?

  13. #57
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,584

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    You two will appreciate this....I'm actually seeing TSO for the first time next Sunday. It took me awhile to embrace the idea of TSO...seeing as how it pretty much killed off one of my favorite bands, but I'm looking forward to it. Glad I got to see the 'Tage 3 times though.

    I just wish I could fit into one of my old Savatage shirts, so I could represent the old school.
    Be forewarned. My first experience at a TSO show wreaked havoc on my mind. It's odd seeing middle aged people in suits and party dresses sitting in an arena watching the same guys playing music on stage that I used to see in the clubs as Savatage.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  14. #58
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Be forewarned. My first experience at a TSO show wreaked havoc on my mind. It's odd seeing middle aged people in suits and party dresses sitting in an arena watching the same guys playing music on stage that I used to see in the clubs as Savatage.
    Would you call the former members of Savatage "sell outs"? This is a thread about heavy metal and all of us that like heavy metal know this term is used in this genre of music.

    Which leads me to the Euro Metal thing that I do not like. You know... the metal with a very prominent keyboard part/sound. Keyboards are not that bothersome to me... Ozzy used them well in his band, Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark", Dream Theater and even Black Sabbath. Hell, I used to play some keyboard in metal bands (used in about 4 of 40 songs in a gig lol). But that Euro thing (sorry but cannot think of a better term) where the keyboard has that high-pitched/whiny sound. No offense to Captain13 (and thanks for the videos!), but that Alestorm band has that darn keyboard sound. Like fingers on a chalkboard to this old metalhead.

    As Iron Maiden wrote on the back of their Piece of Mind album... "no synthesizers or ulterior motives"! Then of course they implemented guitar-synths two albums later (ugh). We do not hear Bon Scott mention keyboards/syths in "Let There Be Rock", right?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  15. #59
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    839

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Would you call the former members of Savatage "sell outs"? This is a thread about heavy metal and all of us that like heavy metal know this term is used in this genre of music.

    Which leads me to the Euro Metal thing that I do not like. You know... the metal with a very prominent keyboard part/sound. Keyboards are not that bothersome to me... Ozzy used them well in his band, Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark", Dream Theater and even Black Sabbath. Hell, I used to play some keyboard in metal bands (used in about 4 of 40 songs in a gig lol). But that Euro thing (sorry but cannot think of a better term) where the keyboard has that high-pitched/whiny sound. No offense to Captain13 (and thanks for the videos!), but that Alestorm band has that darn keyboard sound. Like fingers on a chalkboard to this old metalhead.

    As Iron Maiden wrote on the back of their Piece of Mind album... "no synthesizers or ulterior motives"! Then of course they implemented guitar-synths two albums later (ugh). We do not hear Bon Scott mention keyboards/syths in "Let There Be Rock", right?
    Yes, I would say they sold out, but I don't think "selling out" means what it used to.

    As far as keyboards go, I prefer my metal without them. Some of the Euro bands are using them to create a symphonic sound and I like that. As far as the 80's stuff, I would have preferred Rainbow in the Dark and The Final Countdown if they had used guitars for the same purpose. I know you were just using Alestorm to make a point, but I don't take them seriously, and I prefer the keyboard to a real bagpipe .
    What if this is as good as it gets?

  16. #60
    Pagan/Asatru Ravenlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Williamsburg, OH and the wilds.
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

    in the case of Alestorm the keyboard is only used live and in videos, in the studio those are overwhelmingly traditional instruments being played. in the case of something like "Keelhauled" it's an electric acordian fed into a distortion pedal.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop


    yes, this really is how we make our living.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25