Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

Re: The Official Heavy Metal Thread

pretty much my stance on my domain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASmqBUnm8rQ

love the jouhikko.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Ravenlord, to each his own. It's not my favorite sound, but I clearly don't hate it.

I am going to search my head (and youtube) for something great...probably thrash, for my next post.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Recent posts (and my crazy head) have made me ask myself "Why do I love metal?"

The answer is not simple: I could go into the psychology of youth and feeling connected to something larger, I could talk about screaming guitars and banging drums, I could talk about Ozzy and Maiden and Metallica and Slayer, I could talk about dark imagery and social taboo, I could talk about crazy concerts and mosh pits, I could talk about the sub-culture. Someday I may write about some or all of those things, but today I am going to simplify things and say my love for metal comes from two things Power and Passion.

There are many ways to exhibit this: the raw power and speed of thrash, the slow grinding power of early Sabbath and Type O, and symphonic power among many others.

So here is one example of the Power and Passion that helped me survive my wonder years.

Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjUIP2ugG4

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Would you call the former members of Savatage "sell outs"? This is a thread about heavy metal and all of us that like heavy metal know this term is used in this genre of music.

Which leads me to the Euro Metal thing that I do not like. You know... the metal with a very prominent keyboard part/sound. Keyboards are not that bothersome to me... Ozzy used them well in his band, Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark", Dream Theater and even Black Sabbath. Hell, I used to play some keyboard in metal bands (used in about 4 of 40 songs in a gig lol). But that Euro thing (sorry but cannot think of a better term) where the keyboard has that high-pitched/whiny sound. No offense to Captain13 (and thanks for the videos!), but that Alestorm band has that darn keyboard sound. Like fingers on a chalkboard to this old metalhead.

As Iron Maiden wrote on the back of their Piece of Mind album... "no synthesizers or ulterior motives"! Then of course they implemented guitar-synths two albums later (ugh). We do not hear Bon Scott mention keyboards/syths in "Let There Be Rock", right?
    I wouldn't call them sellouts. If you know the history of the band you already know that their change from traditional metal to more prog/symphonic metal was a slow natural progression. If Criss hadn't gotten killed they probably would have continued on the Edge of Thorns sound instead of going straight up TSO style with Dead Winter Dead. He always struck me as the metal guy in the band.

Of course I'm biased toward the progressive side, as Streets is in my top 5 albums, ever, by anyone.

Merry Christmas, from one of my favorite bands (RIP Peter Steele)

Type O Negative-Red Water (Christmas Mourning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewKtLL9nJA

Stat geek...and proud

i love Tyr. i find Heri's ability to write history and folklore and politics makes for truly inspiring contemplation.

as a side note, that's actually Heri's ship in the video; last year at Wacken they were giving sailing and 10th century combat demos in the two days before their show.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Awesome Tyr song. So for the week of Christmas we have a drunken song of mourning and Hold the Heathen Hammer High...that's metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Awesome Tyr song. So for the week of Christmas we have a drunken song of mourning and Hold the Heathen Hammer High...that's metal.
    you know it. and tonight starts the first day of my second biggest holliday in the year which will feature a lot Eluveitie, Arkona, Tyr, and surprisingly to most people The Beatles/George Harrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DYKsQqQgSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se78ttwyrcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXlUxDGFvU

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    that was the first Savatage song i ever heard. i think was 11 years old. probably good that it was something from Hall of the Mountain King. with my attitude towards music back then i probably wouldn't have listened to another note for years if something like "Gutter Ballet" or "St. Patrick's" or "Sleep" or "This Isn't What We Meant" was the first thing i had heard.

Stat geek...and proud
    Anthrax and Exodus are going to be touring together in the spring. Anthrax will be playing Among the Living in it's entirety.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Anthrax and Exodus are going to be touring together in the spring. Anthrax will be playing Among the Living in it's entirety.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    When will dates be announced? I see 4, but surely its more than that.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    When will dates be announced? I see 4, but surely its more than that.
    AFAIK they haven't officially announced anything yet as far as dates. There was some leaked dates but they don't appear to be real.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    AFAIK they haven't officially announced anything yet as far as dates. There was some leaked dates but they don't appear to be real.
    Here be those dates.

2013 Metal Alliance Tour Dates:

3/23 – House of Blues – Las Vegas, Nev.
    3/24 – Marquee Theatre – Tempe, Ariz.
    3/25 – House of Blues – San Diego, Calif.
    3/27 – House of Blues – West Hollywood, Calif.
    3/28 – Regency Ballroom – San Francisco, Calif.
    3/29 – The Crystal Ballroom – Portland, Ore.
    3/30 – Commodore Ballroom – Vancouver, British Columbia
    3/31 – Showbox SoDo – Seattle, Wash.
    4/2 – Summit Music Hall – Denver, Colo.
    4/4 – First Avenue – Minneapolis, Minn.
    4/5 – House of Blues – Chicago, Ill.
    4/6 – The Fillmore Detroit – Detroit, Mich.
    4/7 – Bogarts – Cincinnati, Ohio
    4/9 – House of Blues – Dallas, Texas
    4/10 – House of Blues – Houston, Texas
    4/12 – House of Blues – Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
    4/13 – Tremont Music Hall – Charlotte, N.C.
    4/14 – The Fillmore – Silver Spring, Md.
    4/16 – House of Blues – Cleveland, Ohio
    4/18 – Theatre of the Living Arts – Philadelphia, Pa.
    4/20 – Irving Plaza – New York, N.Y.

Turn Off Ads?