Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Byron Buxton

Byron Buxton

I know he isn't a Reds player but after reading this:

Last night, Baseball America's JJ Cooper wrote that an NL scout told him Twins' center field prospect Byron Buxton is the best prospect he's seen in more than a decade of scouting.

I have read three statements like that in the past week and I was wondering do any of you think BA and other sources slept on the hype train unlike they did the years with Griffey Jr., Arod, and Bryce Harper.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 07-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Bryan Buxton

Having watched him, I am a believe that the statement was probably pretty close to accurate. The kid is special.

Also, it is Byron Buxton, not Bryan.

The full quote was “I am positive he’s the best prospect I’ve seen in (more than a decade) of full-time scouting, It’s not even close." My thought is Buxton has the makings of a sensational player, but either this guy never saw Mike Trout play or he is big on hyperbole. If he thinks Buxton is better than Trout at the same age fine, but to say its not even close, well, that is a bit of a stretch. And by a bit, I mean a huge stretch.

Regarding the hype I think the big thing was, while he was considered the top talent in the draft, he was not a slam dunk, mortal lock #1 the way ARod and Harper were. As a point of reference the year Harper was drafted there was a BA question asking where he would rank all time (however many years) and they said #2 behind ARod and ahead of Josh Hamilton. He also did not end up going #1.

The other thing is if you are comparing him to Harper and A-Rod, again to put the hype in perspective. ARods first season he was a .950 OPS bat as an 18 year old and reached AAA. Harper was a .900 OPS bat as an 18 year old and reached AA. Buxton on the other hand was a .790 OPS bat as an 18 year old reaching only Rookie ball. As, far as how that shapes their MLB careers it is fairly meaningless but as far as the hype machine goes it means something. The other thing to keep in mind is coming into this season, Buxton was not even considered the best prospect on his own team, Sano was.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    The full quote was “I am positive he’s the best prospect I’ve seen in (more than a decade) of full-time scouting, It’s not even close." My thought is Buxton has the makings of a sensational player, but either this guy never saw Mike Trout play or he is big on hyperbole. If he thinks Buxton is better than Trout at the same age fine, but to say its not even close, well, that is a bit of a stretch. And by a bit, I mean a huge stretch.
    It is certainly possible that the scout didn't see Trout depending on what his coverage was. While I was at the MWL All-Star game there were several scouts that I talked to who were seeing Buxton for the first time all year because their coverage wasn't in a scenario where they would have seen him yet. With that said, there have been more than one scout that I have seen that have said Buxton is a better prospect than Trout was.

The other thing is if you are comparing him to Harper and A-Rod, again to put the hype in perspective. ARods first season he was a .950 OPS bat as an 18 year old and reached AAA. Harper was a .900 OPS bat as an 18 year old and reached AA. Buxton on the other hand was a .790 OPS bat as an 18 year old reaching only Rookie ball. As, far as how that shapes their MLB careers it is fairly meaningless but as far as the hype machine goes it means something. The other thing to keep in mind is coming into this season, Buxton was not even considered the best prospect on his own team, Sano was.
    Buxton struggled right out of the gate. He adjusted rather quickly and has been off the charts good ever since.

First 14 games in 2012: .156/.240/.244
    Two weeks on the DL
    Final 34 games of 2012: .283/.381/.525

Harper/Trout were drafted as 17-year-olds, so they certainly had an advantage so to speak of "getting their feet wet" at a younger age than Buxton did.

Where Buxton ranked coming into the year means very little. Mike Trout was drafted in the 20's the year before he exploded onto the scene in the Midwest League and announced his presence with authority (though his year in the Arizona League was pretty good too).

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Byron Buxton

Have him in both my fantasy keeper leagues.

#winning

Mark Appel, too. He's undervalued right now in fantasy circles.

Turn Off Ads?