Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule V draft thread

-The Insider-

Re: 40-man--Rule V

Well, in theory, Negron is more valuable. He can play short, second and the outfield and has above-average defense. Fellhauer can play all three outfield spots, but Negron has the possibility of being a utility player in the future. That being said, I would not be surprised if Negs was taken off the roster, but I was just answering your question. If it came down to it and someone had to be removed, my first guess would be Redmond. Then go from there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Negron coming off a major injury...not sure of his progress...that could factor in. Negron is basically there to fill one role, the role he filled in 2012. He is a short-term emergency call-up who can play multiple positions well enough to put him on the field in the big leagues at any of them when you have some guys banged up. His value is his defensive versatility in a short-term situation. I don't think he would be looked at as a back-up for Cozart. They will re-sign Valdez or someone else.

Hard to compare to Fellhauer, whose primary role would be left-handed bat off the bench and utility outfielder. I like Fellhauer a little more than most but I am not sure they see a role for him. He is not real fast and won't hit many homers, but he is a good pure hitter, smart, can play all three outfield positions. Left-handed hitting Chris Denorfia or Brady Clark. I once asked Fellhauer who he thought he compared to and he told me the coach at CS Fullerton told him he was Mark Kotsay.

-The Insider-

Negron should be ready for Spring Training.

I wonder if the Reds are looking at the Rule V draft as a chance to fill some of the roster needs? What Pitchers or hitters could be stashed on the roster for a year? I could see a pitcher or two being stashed in the bullpen. I could also see the possibility of either a catcher or a infielder or outfielder being used as a pinch hitter or utility man. What does anyone think?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think the Reds have enough of their own talent to protect to try and hide someone else's players on the roster.

The roster is at 33 right now. I would protect Guillon, Corcino, Partch, Ravin and as redsof72 said, I can't see YRod not being protected. So that leaves us at 38 on the 40 man before we even test free agency.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

One guy missing from the list that I didn't notice until tonight is Carlos Contreras. I could see him being protected.

Crabbe has to be in the mix. Between him, Partch and Ravin, I have to think there's at least one guy the Reds feel can provide some legitimate BP depth in 2013. Ravin's high octane fastball is hard to dismiss, even though he's had almost no sustained success in his entire pro career.

I don't think they'd even think about Crabbe. Very mundane numbers and very average arm. Partch and Ravin might be. Partch looks like he could be a ftuture bullpen arm and Ravin has a big arm.

I don't think they'd even think about Crabbe. Very mundane numbers and very average arm.
    The story has shifted a little on Crabbe. He used to have a mid 90s fastball and very good slider. His stuff may have slipped, or he just conserves it some in order to gain a little command and log innings. I believe he struck out 150+ this season -- that's not the product of an average arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Chip's link has the names. (that was quick)

RHP Carlos Contreras from Class-A Bakersfield.
    RHP Daniel Corcino from Double-A Pensacola.
    LHP Ismael Guillon from Class-A Dayton.
    RHP Curtis Partch from Double-A Pensacola.
    RHP Josh Ravin from Double-A Pensacola.
    OF Yorman Rodriguez from Class-A Dayton.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, it looks like this is who's left vulnerable. Certainly a few names that could be in jeopardy.

Jesus Adames
    Junior Arias
    Theo Bowe
    Nick Christiani
    Jonathan Correa
    Tim Crabbe
    Juan Duran
    Wilfrel Estevez
    Josh Fellhauer
    Mark Fleury
    Justin Freeman
    Stalin Gerson
    Yovan Gonzalez
    Blaine Howell
    Travis Mattair
    Andrew Means
    Beau Mills
    Brian Pearl
    Cody Puckett
    Radhames Quezada
    Mark Serrano
    Jefry Sierra
    Danny Vicioso
    Jamie Walczak

Who might the Reds be interested in claiming from other teams in the Rule V draft?

I like the group they protected. Some higher ceiling guys there. Will be fun to see how they audition in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Well, it looks like this is who's left vulnerable. Certainly a few names that could be in jeopardy.

Jesus Adames
    Junior Arias
    Theo Bowe
    Nick Christiani
    Jonathan Correa
    Tim Crabbe
    Juan Duran
    Wilfrel Estevez
    Josh Fellhauer
    Mark Fleury
    Justin Freeman
    Stalin Gerson
    Yovan Gonzalez
    Mike Hessman
    Blaine Howell
    Travis Mattair
    Andrew Means
    Beau Mills
    Brian Pearl
    Cody Puckett
    Radhames Quezada
    Mark Serrano
    Jefry Sierra
    Marquez Smith
    Danny Vicioso
    Jamie Walczak
    I added a couple recent signees to the list.

Turn Off Ads?