Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule V draft thread

Re: 40-man--Rule V

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I like the group they protected. Some higher ceiling guys there. Will be fun to see how they audition in the spring.
    Usually seems to be the rule of thumb; guys in the upper minors with good stuff and poor results get selected over the low-upside guys who put up regular numbers.

Doug, is Contreras a prospect at all? Seems like he put together a pretty solid season and cut down on the walks, and the stuff that you described sounds like something that could earn him a major league relief job.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Usually seems to be the rule of thumb; guys in the upper minors with good stuff and poor results get selected over the low-upside guys who put up regular numbers.

Doug, is Contreras a prospect at all? Seems like he put together a pretty solid season and cut down on the walks, and the stuff that you described sounds like something that could earn him a major league relief job.
    He is a prospect. I would like to see him scrap his curveball and focus more on FB/CH though. Every now and again he can snap off a decent curveball, but more often it is loopy.

Did anyone else see that Zach Stewart was left off the 40 man roster in Boston? I heard somewhere he was going to win the Cy Young Award somewhere down the line - - Just teasing

Quote Originally Posted by TracyJonesFan View Post
    Did anyone else see that Zach Stewart was left off the 40 man roster in Boston? I heard somewhere he was going to win the Cy Young Award somewhere down the line - - Just teasing
    . . . and Scott Rolen seems to be retiring while the Reds have only two division titles since the trade. FIRE WALT, HIRE WADE

I think that the protected player choices follow the trend in baseball toward filling the pen with guys who can throw 95+ for an inning, thereby further shortening the game to six innings. Nothing in the minor league stats of Partch, Ravin, or Contreras suggests that they would be selected in rule 5. Lately, however, teams in a building mode are likely to incur the penalty of carrying a still raw, slightly strike challenged pitcher for a year in the pen in order to reap the benefits of a big arm farther down the road. As few as five years ago, these choices would have shocked this board. Now, they seem to be universally accepted.

It would not surprise me if the Reds selected a bullpen arm in Rule 5 to fill out the 40.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I think that the protected player choices follow the trend in baseball toward filling the pen with guys who can throw 95+ for an inning, thereby further shortening the game to six innings. Nothing in the minor league stats of Partch, Ravin, or Contreras suggests that they would be selected in rule 5. Lately, however, teams in a building mode are likely to incur the penalty of carrying a still raw, slightly strike challenged pitcher for a year in the pen in order to reap the benefits of a big arm farther down the road. As few as five years ago, these choices would have shocked this board. Now, they seem to be universally accepted.

It would not surprise me if the Reds selected a bullpen arm in Rule 5 to fill out the 40.
    I would be shocked to see the Reds select someone. That would fill up the 40 man roster. And while they could always just drop a Negron or a Phipps, why haven't they already if that was the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would be shocked to see the Reds select someone. That would fill up the 40 man roster. And while they could always just drop a Negron or a Phipps, why haven't they already if that was the plan?
    Why would they have dropped these players in anticipation of signing a free agent? Why not wait until you have signed the free agent(s) first? I don't really expect the Reds to select someone in Rule 5, but I do believe that they have left themselves the option of doing so. Recall that most of us were surprised when Walt picked up Simon last year. He was not Rule 5, but he was a DFA because he had no options left.

I expect the Reds to attempt to sign one of Ludwick/Victorino and two of Madson, Broxton, Soria. At that time roster moves will be required. (Not sure what the rules are with respect to putting Soria on the 60 DL if they signed him.) Nor is it clear to me that they can be successful in these free agent pursuits given budgetary constraints. It makes sense to me to leave a Rule 5 selection open as an option.

One exec tells Morosi (via Twitter) that this year's Rule 5 draft class is one of the best that he has seen. The draft will take place on Thursday.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#P53u0PrjUOBjPoB0.99
    Thought I'd post this here instead of a new thread.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...12/#list=rule5

Jefry Marte
    Position: 3B
    Bats: R, Throws: R
    Height: 6' 1", Weight: 187
    Signed: July 2, 2007 - NYM
    Marte was once a highly-regarded prospect in the Mets system. Struggles in A-ball caused his star to fade, with a trip to the 2011 Futures Game the one exception. But a strong AFL campaign in 2011 led to a solid 2012 season in Double-A, where he showed a better approach at the plate and flashes of the tools that got people excited about him in the first place, especially against left-handed pitching (.336/.390/.560), and he finished the season No. 14 on the Mets' Top 20. He's almost exclusively been a third baseman, but if he can show some versatility, his bat could find a way to a big league roster.

Would Marte or OF Destin Hood be players the Reds should consider in the Rule V draft? their are also a lot of interesting pitchers available as well. Here is another interesting name to consider.

Blake Smith
    ETA: 2013
    Position: OF
    Bats: L, Throws: R
    Height: 6' 2", Weight: 225
    Drafted: 2009, 2nd (56) - LAD
    A sports hernia kept him off the field for a chunk of the 2011 season, but when he was on, he started to put his considerable offensive tools to good use. Smith has above-average raw power from the left side of the plate, and although he may never hit for a high average, he did cut down his strikeout rate last year. He still has the chance to be a good power-hitting right fielder at the highest level, though he’ll have to show he can do it at the upper levels first. A two-way player in his college days, he could always head back to the mound if all else fails.
    Other Lists: Top 10 Dodgers Prospects (#16)
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 12-04-2012 at 11:14 PM.

This thread can be used to discuss Rule V draft posabilities and to report on the actual Rule V draft results as well.

Re: Rule V draft thread

I don't have any specific names, but I would like to see the Reds select someone to compete for the backup infield job. Right now, our backup infield options are terrible (assuming we keep Gregorius and HRod in the minors).

John Fay was on with Mo Egger yesterday, suggesting that the Reds are looking for a backup infielder, or a LOOGY in the Rule V draft. Who are the names to be watching for?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Destin Hood ETA: 2013Position: O***e: 22, DOB: 04/03/1990Bats: R, Throws: RHeight: 6' 1", Weight: 225Drafted: 2008, 2nd (55) - WSHThe Nationals hoped the toolsy Hood really started to figure some things out in 2011. His potential started turning into power and speed, and he produced more consistently. Unfortunately, 2012 was somewhat stunted by injuries, and Hood missed time with a wrist injury and a groin injury in June and August. He has above-average speed and raw power and could be a 20-20-type guy when all is said and done. He should be just fine in a corner outfield spot, but it’s his offensive potential that should continue to have Washington excited as he progresses.
    Other Lists: Top 10 Nationals Prospects (#8)

Jon Keck Position: LHPAge: 24, DOB: 06/18/1988Bats: L, Throws: LHeight: 6' 6", Weight: 215Drafted: 2009, 42nd (1262) - KCLeft-handers are always at a premium and they tend to be quite popular come Rule 5 time. When one throws mid-90s fastballs in the Arizona Fall League, they tend to pop up in conversations. He'll throw a slider and curve, with the slider being better breaking choice. His command has been spotty at best, but he goes right after hitters. With his size and a potential two-pitch power repertoire, he does have the chance to be a good left-handed reliever at the big league level.

Turn Off Ads?