Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Jason Bay Released by Mets

  1. #1
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    2,919

    Jason Bay Released by Mets

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...with-jason-bay

    I think he is worth at least a spring training invite to see if he still has any gas left.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    He would not be my first,second, or third choice but I'd keep my eye on him. SI.com had an article today about the surplus of OF in free agency. Quite a few above average, yet non all-star, OF on the market. Exactly what the Reds could hope for. I would love to know what Angel Pagan sought.

  4. #3
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,575

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    If Jeremy Hermida was worth signing to a minor league contract, Jason Bay definitely is.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  5. #4
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,418

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    I'd rather sign Jason Bay to a minor league contract than Jonny Gomes to a major league contract.

  6. #5
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,172

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Bay agreed to his buyout because he believes he can get a major league contract above the league minimum. He's not signing anywhere on a minor league deal.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

  7. #6
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,195

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bay agreed to his buyout because he believes he can get a major league contract above the league minimum. He's not signing anywhere on a minor league deal.
    I disagree. He agreed to the buyout because he knew the Mets weren't going to play him so he might as well see if anyone else wants him. He's getting paid either way, so there was no reason not to agree to it. With that being said, I happen to think Bay is finished and won't be relevant with anyone this year. Not against giving him a minor league deal and hoping for a miracle, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #7
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bay agreed to his buyout because he believes he can get a major league contract above the league minimum. He's not signing anywhere on a minor league deal.
    You're likely correct, but I'm guessing the market will determine that for him. Perhaps it will be there. Frankly, Jocketty's given out some like that that even had an option year or a two year deal that wasn't very expensive even if you cut the guy the second year, hasn't he?
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  9. #8
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    I'd absolutely give him a shot. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Ludwick, honestly, but he'd be significantly cheaper. He hit 36 homers three years ago, can get on base, could use the famous GABP boost. If he stays healthy, he's as good a Comeback POY candidate as anyone.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,391

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    I'd also give him a shot, he could discover magic at GABP for a year or so.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,777

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Forget Bay. Sign Ludwick and worry about CF from outside the organization for 2013.

  12. #11
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,207

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    How bad is Bay defensively? I really have no idea.

  13. #12
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,418

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    How bad is Bay defensively? I really have no idea.
    Shows good hustle, gets concussed a lot.

  14. #13
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    9,172

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You're likely correct, but I'm guessing the market will determine that for him. Perhaps it will be there. Frankly, Jocketty's given out some like that that even had an option year or a two year deal that wasn't very expensive even if you cut the guy the second year, hasn't he?
    Good call. Bay could sign a minor league deal, if the money is still there, like in a buyout or option. It's always about the money.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

  15. #14
    Member GADawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    i kind've like the idea...I like Ludwick but can't help but wondering if he was just having a "surge" knowing the end could be near. Bay has to be due the same kind of surge if he still has it in him at all.

  16. #15
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

    Ryan Ludwick 2.2 WAR in 2010-11
    Bay -0.1 WAR in 11-12

    Narratives are similar but performance has not been.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25