Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Bay Released by Mets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Jason Bay Released by Mets

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...with-jason-bay

I think he is worth at least a spring training invite to see if he still has any gas left.

Re: Jason Bay Released by Mets

He would not be my first,second, or third choice but I'd keep my eye on him. SI.com had an article today about the surplus of OF in free agency. Quite a few above average, yet non all-star, OF on the market. Exactly what the Reds could hope for. I would love to know what Angel Pagan sought.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

If Jeremy Hermida was worth signing to a minor league contract, Jason Bay definitely is.

I'd rather sign Jason Bay to a minor league contract than Jonny Gomes to a major league contract.

Bay agreed to his buyout because he believes he can get a major league contract above the league minimum. He's not signing anywhere on a minor league deal.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Bay agreed to his buyout because he believes he can get a major league contract above the league minimum. He's not signing anywhere on a minor league deal.
    I disagree. He agreed to the buyout because he knew the Mets weren't going to play him so he might as well see if anyone else wants him. He's getting paid either way, so there was no reason not to agree to it. With that being said, I happen to think Bay is finished and won't be relevant with anyone this year. Not against giving him a minor league deal and hoping for a miracle, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You're likely correct, but I'm guessing the market will determine that for him. Perhaps it will be there. Frankly, Jocketty's given out some like that that even had an option year or a two year deal that wasn't very expensive even if you cut the guy the second year, hasn't he?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You're likely correct, but I'm guessing the market will determine that for him. Perhaps it will be there. Frankly, Jocketty's given out some like that that even had an option year or a two year deal that wasn't very expensive even if you cut the guy the second year, hasn't he?
    Good call. Bay could sign a minor league deal, if the money is still there, like in a buyout or option. It's always about the money.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'd absolutely give him a shot. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Ludwick, honestly, but he'd be significantly cheaper. He hit 36 homers three years ago, can get on base, could use the famous GABP boost. If he stays healthy, he's as good a Comeback POY candidate as anyone.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd also give him a shot, he could discover magic at GABP for a year or so.

Forget Bay. Sign Ludwick and worry about CF from outside the organization for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Forget Bay. Sign Ludwick and worry about CF from outside the organization for 2013.
    If we were the Yankees, yes we'd re-sign Ludwick, Broxton, Madson and trade for Wright. However, even given the attendence/playoff sales boost, we still have limited resources. I think we can get a left fielder at below market value (I don't necessarily want this guy to be Bay) for three reasons. First, the market is flooded driving down guys values, second, most guys want to play for a contender and Cincinnati definitely has a contender next year and finally others saw what GABP did for Ludwick's performance last year, they might want to be on a similar one year deal so they can cash in like Ludwick is going to this off-season.

I really like Ryan Ludwick and would not be upset if we did re-sign him. I just think there is a good chance that we could get an average to above average left fielder to sign at below market value due to the three factors I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    If we were the Yankees, yes we'd re-sign Ludwick, Broxton, Madson and trade for Wright. However, even given the attendence/playoff sales boost, we still have limited resources. I think we can get a left fielder at below market value (I don't necessarily want this guy to be Bay) for three reasons. First, the market is flooded driving down guys values, second, most guys want to play for a contender and Cincinnati definitely has a contender next year and finally others saw what GABP did for Ludwick's performance last year, they might want to be on a similar one year deal so they can cash in like Ludwick is going to this off-season.

I really like Ryan Ludwick and would not be upset if we did re-sign him. I just think there is a good chance that we could get an average to above average left fielder to sign at below market value due to the three factors I listed above.
    Let's forget about the long list of Broxton, Madson, David Wright, Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Let's just focus on Ludwick.

The idea that the Reds cannot afford Ryan Ludwick for a starting position is inconceivable to me. This is not an all-star, not a near-all star. He is a pretty good player. The Red should be able to sign him for a two-year deal.

I can understand the "we're not the Yankees" mantra when it comes to a David Wright. But Ryan Ludwick?

If the Reds don't like Ludwick's game, well, then they should let him go. If he is overpricing himself, yes, they should let him go.

But he seems to me as a good, reasonable, choice for left field. He's not a luxury item, the Reds should be able to work something with him if they still like his game.

Jason Bay would be a high risk, high reward gamble. I'd prefer a deal with Ludwick, but whatever.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Let's forget about the long list of Broxton, Madson, David Wright, Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Let's just focus on Ludwick.

The idea that the Reds cannot afford Ryan Ludwick for a starting position is inconceivable to me. This is not an all-star, not a near-all star. He is a pretty good player. The Red should be able to sign him for a two-year deal.

I can understand the "we're not the Yankees" mantra when it comes to a David Wright. But Ryan Ludwick?

If the Reds don't like Ludwick's game, well, then they should let him go. If he is overpricing himself, yes, they should let him go.

But he seems to me as a good, reasonable, choice for left field. He's not a luxury item, the Reds should be able to work something with him if they still like his game.

Jason Bay would be a high risk, high reward gamble. I'd prefer a deal with Ludwick, but whatever.
    My point is not that the Reds cannot afford Ryan Ludwick, but rather the Reds may be better served to use the money that Ludwick will get in free agency by acquiring another outfielder who value isn't so high after a big year especially considering we have holes in the bullpen and in centerfield. Again, I would not mind re-signing Ludwick. I just don't think we are in a position where we need to overpay and we need to understand the limitation of our resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    My point is not that the Reds cannot afford Ryan Ludwick, but rather the Reds may be better served to use the money that Ludwick will get in free agency by acquiring another outfielder who value isn't so high after a big year especially considering we have holes in the bullpen and in centerfield. Again, I would not mind re-signing Ludwick. I just don't think we are in a position where we need to overpay and we need to understand the limitation of our resources.
    The left fielder on the team is likely the cleanup hitter in the starting lineup. He is an important offensive piece.

What I always liked about Ludwick is that he seemed adequate to fill that role, yet was not a big name, not a high salaried guy.

Hard for me to name a comparable or better LFer who will come much cheaper.

If this were a bench player or middle reliever then I'd be open to low cost gambles. But given the role the LFer plays in the lineup, given the team's makeup, I want Ludwick or better, which means some expenditure of funds will be necessary.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Turn Off Ads?