Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

  1. #46
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,450

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    I see what you did there!

    Bet he'd be more interested in playing for the Rockies or the Mariners.
    The Reds ought to tell him he can work with Tom Browning as his personal pitching coach.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    798

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    I'd have more time for the conspiracy theory if the Reds didn't have a highly touted prospect who played the same position and was a year ahead.

  4. #48
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I'd have more time for the conspiracy theory if the Reds didn't have a highly touted prospect who played the same position and was a year ahead.
    This.

    Also, let's not forget Mesoraco is much better defensively. He'll be fine as a hitter eventually. I liked the pop that he showed in limited action in 2012. He's a naturally strong (and tough) young man. I think he'll end up being a 20 HR/year guy when he reaches the peak of his career.

    The Reds have Hanigan for probably a few more years, but Mesoraco is certainly the catcher of the future. The next-best prospect at the position in the organization is Tucker Barnhart and he's nowhere near the prospect Mesoraco is/was.

  5. #49
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,190

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    The one gut reaction that I remember from watching Yasmani this year on a few occasions was that he didn't seem to be a likable guy. Not that that means anything at all but it has stuck in my mind.

  6. #50
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    I'd have more time for the conspiracy theory if the Reds didn't have a highly touted prospect who played the same position and was a year ahead.
    I'm not sure I believe it either, but it's not really a "conspiracy" to suggest management suspected a player was producing with benefit of synthetic substances.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  7. #51
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,090

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jocketty was the GM when the Reds traded Brantley to the Cardinals, he wasn't healthy and the Cards didn't trade with the Reds for the rest of the Bowden era and made it clear why
    hmm..it's no coincidence that Bowden no longer has a job in baseball.

  8. #52
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    hmm..it's no coincidence that Bowden no longer has a job in baseball.
    Bowden sucking while in Cincinnati and then Washington is the biggest reason he's no longer an MLB GM. If he would have consistently put winning teams on the field, his bosses wouldn't have cared about a shady trade or three. Bowden was just a very bad GM, period. He tried to run the team like a fantasy team. He's a complete clown in my book. (And not just because he used to wear leather pants. OK, well, that too.)

  9. #53
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,384

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Bowden sucking while in Cincinnati and then Washington is the biggest reason he's no longer an MLB GM. If he would have consistently put winning teams on the field, his bosses wouldn't have cared about a shady trade or three. Bowden was just a very bad GM, period. He tried to run the team like a fantasy team. He's a complete clown in my book. (And not just because he used to wear leather pants. OK, well, that too.)
    It wasn't all Jim Bowden's fault that he couldn't put a winning team on the field in Cincinnati. His hands were tied behind his back by the apathetic, do-nothing Lindner/Allen regime. He had few resources here.

    His DC tenure, however, was pathetic.

  10. #54
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,521

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    It wasn't all Jim Bowden's fault that he couldn't put a winning team on the field in Cincinnati. His hands were tied behind his back by the apathetic, do-nothing Lindner/Allen regime. He had few resources here.

    His DC tenure, however, was pathetic.
    I beg to disagree about Bowden in Cincy. While Uncle Carl and Allen were not great owners/team presidents, they were not the ones fixated on 5 tool players at the expense of everything else needed by the Reds.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

  11. #55
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,525

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I beg to disagree about Bowden in Cincy. While Uncle Carl and Allen were not great owners/team presidents, they were not the ones fixated on 5 tool players at the expense of everything else needed by the Reds.
    While Bowden's faults have been well documented, I'm not sure Billy Beane could have been successful under the Lindner/Allen regime, especially when high draft picks were punted.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  12. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,353

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'm not sure I believe it either, but it's not really a "conspiracy" to suggest management suspected a player was producing with benefit of synthetic substances.
    Is it unethical to not pass on your suspision? If I knew I was trading a guy who couldn't hit a curve, I wouldn't feel the need to disclose it.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  13. #57
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Is it unethical to not pass on your suspision? If I knew I was trading a guy who couldn't hit a curve, I wouldn't feel the need to disclose it.
    I don't think it's unethical, personally.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  14. #58
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,525

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I don't think it's unethical, personally.
    Neither do I. I don't view it as analogous to withholding injury-related information, such as the Brantley/Young deal.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  15. #59
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,190

    Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

    If it is nothing but suspicion i.e. a gut feeling, I don't have an issue with it. Now to have evidence and not do anything about it is Bowdenesque.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25