Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Yasmani Grandal Suspended for PED Use

Hello! Wow. Definitely one I didn't see coming ... and I'm highly skeptical (and good at calling these things in advance). Wow, wow and WOW.

That Latos trade is looking better by the day.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    From an irony POV, I love it.
    I love your honesty here. Whether they will admit it or not, every Reds fan feels the exact same way.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think we've found a whole new roster building tactic. Draft a juicer and deal him for an ace before he gets caught.
    Been done at the organizational level already. Michael Lewis called it "Moneyball."

I think if Walt knew it, at the very minimum, he would've disclosed in it the trade. Hard to speculate on what people will do, but I remember Walt being furious about the Brantley-Dimitri Young trade because Bowden exaggerated Brantley's medical health.

I think in terms of integrity, Walt is well respected among his peers.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    The frequency of these suspensions is almost comical. Clearly MLB isn't very serious about this problem.
    I think the individual players are the ones not taking it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Been done at the organizational level already. Michael Lewis called it "Moneyball."
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd love to see stronger penalties but then you have the player's union to deal with. IMO, they are going to "blunt" really severe penalties, such as expulsion.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'd love to see stronger penalties but then you have the player's union to deal with. IMO, they are going to "blunt" really severe penalties, such as expulsion.
    Somewhere, Jeremy Jeffress' ears just perked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Somewhere, Jeremy Jeffress' ears just perked up.

Speaking of which, he was just designated for assignment last week. We might see him with a new team soon. I wouldn't mind seeing if the Reds could get him higher in his accomplishments. It would have to be a joint effort though.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

Speaking of which, he was just designated for assignment last week. We might see him with a new team soon. I wouldn't mind seeing if the Reds could get him higher in his accomplishments. It would have to be a joint effort though.
    I see what you did there!

Bet he'd be more interested in playing for the Rockies or the Mariners.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

I know a lot of people on here are/were high on Grandal - even more so than Mes - but if you could trade Mes for Grandal straight up, knowing that Grandal has to miss the 1st 50 games of 2013 and another positive test would be 100 games, would you do that deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I know a lot of people on here are/were high on Grandal - even more so than Mes - but if you could trade Mes for Grandal straight up, knowing that Grandal has to miss the 1st 50 games of 2013 and another positive test would be 100 games, would you do that deal?
    Well I'd have to know (and obviously the Reds do, but I'm not sure if its ever been pinpointed here or not) why Mes basically became persona non grata the last month + of the season, even w/ roster expansion. What caused it, how did Mes deal w/ it, what are the prospects in those regards moving forward.

W/o that information, I'd be hesitant to make the call one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Nope, I would not do that.
    Mes will get another chance. He's still young.
    I guess from Day 1, I never expected Mes to be the next Gary Carter.
    He will be a useful catcher though.
    Last season was growing pains, he'll be ok in the long term.

I'm very leary of trading for someone busted for PEDs.. it makes their entire past history of performance suspicious. Naturally, everyone would trade a nobody for Grandal and take the chance, but I would not trade Mes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I doubt it. I don't see it as in any team's long term interest to trade damaged goods to other clubs. Jocketty surely knows that.
    Yeah, I imagine you are right. WJ from a pragmatic standpoint and Castellini from an ethical one. BCast is a stand-up guy and wouldn't stand for such shenanigans.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I doubt it. I don't see it as in any team's long term interest to trade damaged goods to other clubs. Jocketty surely knows that.
    Yep.

Jocketty was the GM when the Reds traded Brantley to the Cardinals, he wasn't healthy and the Cards didn't trade with the Reds for the rest of the Bowden era and made it clear why

Turn Off Ads?