Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trevor Bauer

Trevor Bauer

Isn't this the kind of pitcher the Reds should go after? I wonder what the cost would be? Young. Controllable for a number of years. Stuff. (11.5 K/9 in the minors) Per the article on MLBTraderumors, he has fallen out of favor with the DBacks and they are willing to listen to offers. They need a shortstop and I would start the bidding with their choice of Cozart or Digregorius and go from there.

Bauer, 21, was the third overall pick in the 2011 draft. He made his MLB debut this season and surrendered 13 runs in 16 1/3 innings across four starts while also battling a groin problem. Bauer pitched to a 2.42 ERA in 130 1/3 innings split between Double-A and Triple-A this year as well.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...vor-bauer.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trevor Bauer

I like the idea but two things scare me. One is his velocity has dropped every year from college on. The other thing is I read today that he pitches up in the zone and the dbacks asked him to start throwing to the lower part of the strikezone and he refused to do it. I do not think he is better than our 5 starters now but he does have more upside than Leake. So to me he would be a bad fit at GAPB at this point in his career just my opinion.

Do we need another pitcher? I'm more worried about who will replace Ludwick assuming we do not resign him.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    I like the idea but two things scare me. One is his velocity has dropped every year from college on. The other thing is I read today that he pitches up in the zone and the dbacks asked him to start throwing to the lower part of the strikezone and he refused to do it. I do not think he is better than our 5 starters now but he does have more upside than Leake. So to me he would be a bad fit at GAPB at this point in his career just my opinion.
    This article thinks Bauer regaining his velocity is a pretty easy fix. Nice article to read, btw.

http://www.pitching.com/blog/what-ha...plus-velocity/

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    Do we need another pitcher? I'm more worried about who will replace Ludwick assuming we do not resign him.
    This is the last year of Bronson's contract. Will the Reds resign him for what he will be asking? He gave the team a friendly contract last time, so maybe. He is another year older as well. So that's a consideration. If you can get Bauer at around league minimum for a couple years I think you have to do it. What is the asking price though in terms of talent given up? I have no idea. If it is reasonable, I would jump.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    It's impossible to have enough young, cheap starting pitching. If you can buy Bauer for 80 cents on the dollar, you do it. Period.

His ridiculous long tossing regimen is what is gonna end up hurting him more than anything. If you don't know about it, look it up. It's impressive but totally unnecessary.

He's making $1M a year according to Cots. Would you give up Billy Hamilton if you could put a package together to get him and Justin Upton?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This article thinks Bauer regaining his velocity is a pretty easy fix. Nice article to read, btw.

http://www.pitching.com/blog/what-ha...plus-velocity/
    I agree that it's fixable but do you think he would change his warm up routine now after all the success he's had with it in the past? But Im still concerned about his health that's why I don't want the reds to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    He's making $1M a year according to Cots. Would you give up Billy Hamilton if you could put a package together to get him and Justin Upton?
    No, Hamiton should be the most dynamic lead off man in the game which is something the reds need desperately. And I am rather confident in the reds developing arms (Cingrani, Corcino, Stephenson, Leake, and the rest) to be ready when Arroyo's contract is up. how ever if there is one D-backs young pitcher I would like it wouldn't be Bauer but Skaggs
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

Turn Off Ads?