Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: What would it take to get Justin Upton?

Re: What would it take to get Justin Upton?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The Rangers are hot on the trail of Justin Upton, per mlbtraderumors, and they're willing to part with top prospect Mike Olt to get him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-olt-swap.html
    Braves turned down Simmons for Olt. D'backs want a young SS but Rangers won't deal Andrus or Profar, so they're trying to acquire a SS to flip for Upton.

Obviously I've made my preferences clear that I'd love for the Reds to trade for Justin Upton.

However, this gave me a "backup" idea: assuming the Reds for whatever reason can't agree on a deal for Upton, how about offering Gregorius to the Rangers for Olt? Move Frazier to LF, and use our budget to sign a CF to a one or two year deal.

CF Free Agent (Torii Hunter?)
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF Frazier
    RF Bruce
    3B Olt
    C Mesoraco/Hanigan
    SS Cozart

If/when Hamilton forces his way to Cincy, Reds will then have flexibility to deal one of Hunter/Frazier/Olt to fill another need.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He is athletic, but I ask again "Why doesn't he run?"
    He's .500 on the basepaths since he hit AA. So not running has been a wise choice. But if he's quick, then he must just not read pitchers or get horrible jumps. Some clever coaching should be on tap.
    Last edited by Rojo; 11-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.

The D-Backs have a kid 3B named Matt Davidson, who projects as a big-time power hitter. He'll be in AAA in 2013 at age 22. I'd be surprised if they figure the difference him and Olt is worth Upton.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The D-Backs have a kid 3B named Matt Davidson, who projects as a big-time power hitter. He'll be in AAA in 2013 at age 22. I'd be surprised if they figure the difference him and Olt is worth Upton.
    I agree and wasn't implying the D'backs had any interest in Olt.

The Rangers offered Olt to Atlanta to acquire a young SS that they could package in a deal for Upton. My first choice would be for the Reds to get Upton. As a backup in case they couldn't agree to a deal, would be for the Reds to ship one of our young SS to Texas for Olt. Reds could keep Olt (moving Frazier to LF), and the Rangers could in turn package the young SS along with whatever other pieces they could to get Upton.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I agree and wasn't implying the D'backs had any interest in Olt.

The Rangers offered Olt to Atlanta to acquire a young SS that they could package in a deal for Upton. My first choice would be for the Reds to get Upton. As a backup in case they couldn't agree to a deal, would be for the Reds to ship one of our young SS to Texas for Olt. Reds could keep Olt (moving Frazier to LF), and the Rangers could in turn package the young SS along with whatever other pieces they could to get Upton.
    My cursory reading skills are in serious decline. It's not a bad idea you've got there. Olt's got a sweet glove on top of his power and patience, though his bird timer may not pop for another year or so. It would also be nice to see him play closer to sea level just to make sure he doesn't have Dallas McPherson Syndrome.

The more I look at what the D-Backs have, the more stunned I am the team is even considering moving Upton. The organization has pitchers stacked like cord wood. What is needs is star offensive talent, and it's not going to find a more likely candidate than Upton.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?