Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA Dickey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

RA Dickey

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...in-trades.html

They have stated they want OF and catcher help. I don't think we can match up there, but honestly if they want an OF, I imagine they can get one of the many from FA.

Can't really think of a parallel to this. He's an old pitcher, 1 year before FA. But he's a knuckler. He could conceivably stay good for a while.

Re: RA Dickey

I think the Mets caught lightning in a bottle. Pass.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I think the Mets caught lightning in a bottle. Pass.
    He's been good for a while now though (though not that good.)

I just don't know if a strikeout rate like that happens by accident.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dickey and Wright for Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and any other junk they want. LOL. That's usually the kind of return fans consider.

The more I think about it, because of payroll limits, the Reds won't do anything this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dickey and Wright for Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and any other junk they want. LOL. That's usually the kind of return fans consider.

The more I think about it, because of payroll limits, the Reds won't do anything this offseason.
    Would the Reds trade Joey Votto and Bronson Arroyo for the likes of Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and "other junk?"

No.

David Wright is the Mets' Joey Votto. It's wildly unrealistic to propose that they would accept three guys off the Reds' stinkpile for him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Would the Reds trade Joey Votto and Bronson Arroyo for the likes of Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and "other junk?"

No.

David Wright is the Mets' Joey Votto. It's wildly unrealistic to propose that they would accept three guys off the Reds' stinkpile for him.
    I was joking. Obviously you didn't get that.

Most of the trade proposals you see on Redszone have posters nabbing some superstar and sending our junk in return. Makes me laugh every time.

I was joking. Obviously you didn't get that.

Most of the trade proposals you see on Redszone have posters nabbing some superstar and sending our junk in return. Makes me laugh every time.
    Sorry. I've seen so many of these one-sided trade proposals made in earnest that I can't even recognize the joke proposals anymore.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Reds don't need to invest any more resources into acquiring starting pitching. If they want a Dickey, they have him (his name is Aroldis). And it looks like they're trying to go that route, so no reason to spend any assets to get Dickey.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The Reds don't need to invest any more resources into acquiring starting pitching. If they want a Dickey, they have him (his name is Aroldis). And it looks like they're trying to go that route, so no reason to spend any assets to get Dickey.
    Can you imagine if they had Dickey, though?

Cueto and Dickey have been considered Cy Young candidates. Latos is viewed as a future one. 3 studs in one rotation, and Chapman possibly adding to it. Yikes.

Can you imagine if they had Dickey, though?

Cueto and Dickey have been considered Cy Young candidates. Latos is viewed as a future one. 3 studs in one rotation, and Chapman possibly adding to it. Yikes.
    Cueto, Latos, Dickey, Bailey, Arroyo could be the best starting pitching staff in the league.

And then Chapman could close.

This would break some RedsZone hearts, but would create a fabulous staff.

Will not happen because the economics don't make sense. I don't see the Reds trading the farm for a one-year rental.

Some smart GM will acquire Dickey and extend him 2 or 3 years. It's a good gamble. He's a knuckleballer and potentially could be very productive for a few years still.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cueto, Latos, Dickey, Bailey, Arroyo could be the best starting pitching staff in the league.

And then Chapman could close.

This would break some RedsZone hearts, but would create a fabulous staff.

Will not happen because the economics don't make sense. I don't see the Reds trading the farm for a one-year rental.

Some smart GM will acquire Dickey and extend him 2 or 3 years. It's a good gamble. He's a knuckleballer and potentially could be very productive for a few years still.
    Why trade valuable prospects for a starting pitcher when you have one in-house? They can go out and buy a closer without giving up prospects. Dickey would require giving up assets.

Not a very prudent move IMHO.

If they're going to invest resources like that, it should be acquiring a bat (like David Wright). Otherwise, there is no reason to trade prospects for a position that can be upgraded within their own system.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Why trade valuable prospects for a starting pitcher when you have one in-house? They can go out and buy a closer without giving up prospects. Dickey would require giving up assets.

Not a very prudent move IMHO.

If they're going to invest resources like that, it should be acquiring a bat (like David Wright). Otherwise, there is no reason to trade prospects for a position that can be upgraded within their own system.
    As I said in my post, the economics of acquiring Dickey don't work IMO. He'd be a rental and I wouldn't give up the farm for a rental.

As for the in-house starter, the Reds don't have one. They have a closer who potentially could be converted to a starter, and could be a very good one, assuming the Reds can otherwise man the bullpen.

The Reds can go various ways on Chapman and the pitching staff, but I don't see Dickey as a fit given his contract status.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-08-2012 at 03:18 PM.

The Mets picked up Dickey's option. So he is signed for one year.

He would be a dynamite pickup for one year. He was tremendous this year, he misses bats, he would be a terrific change of pace from the hard throwers.

He would allow the Reds to trade off Leake and keep Chapman at closer.

The obvious problem is that Dickey will want a major extension. The Mets will want a big return. If the Reds only can keep him one season, they will not want to provide that return. So this won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He would allow the Reds to trade off Leake and keep Chapman at closer.
    Why would they want to do that when they just told Chapman to prepare as a starter? Makes no sense.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why would they want to do that when they just told Chapman to prepare as a starter? Makes no sense.
    LOL.

Actually my post made perfect sense.

First, if the Reds did acquire a Dickey type pitcher, they could leave Chapman as the closer. But my post made clear I thought this would not happen because Dickey would cost too much.

Second, my post was three weeks before Broxton was signed and three weeks before the Reds said Chapman was preparing as a starter. I'm sorry that I was unable to predict events announced three weeks later.

Turn Off Ads?