Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NBA Season

Re: 2012-2013 NBA Season

Congrats to the _izards who finally won a game. You may now have your "W" back!

This pretty well sums up the team:

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

David Stern can't leave the NBA soon enough. Fining the Spurs is a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Congrats to the _izards who finally won a game. You may now have your "W" back!

This pretty well sums up the team:

Shouldn't they have been the LLLLLLLLLLLLLLizards?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Shouldn't they have been the LLLLLLLLLLLLLLizards?
    I'm old school. I prefer the BuLLLLLLLLLLLLLets.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    David Stern can't leave the NBA soon enough. Fining the Spurs is a complete joke.
    A couple of interesting things on that front. First, imagine the potential gambling ramifications if you saw those three guys flying commercial back to San Antonio before it was announced that they wouldn't play. Second, I love what it does for the morale of the bench guys. Imagine being Gary Neal or Splitter, or even better, one of the guys who almost never plays (De Colo, Cory Joseph, and James Anderson played a combined 69 minutes).

I love the move, but I didn't buy tickets to the game. I might feel differently if I spent the outrageous amount of money needed to go to a Heat game.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

From yesterday, but this is a great read. Stern is terrible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    A couple of interesting things on that front. First, imagine the potential gambling ramifications if you saw those three guys flying commercial back to San Antonio before it was announced that they wouldn't play. Second, I love what it does for the morale of the bench guys. Imagine being Gary Neal or Splitter, or even better, one of the guys who almost never plays (De Colo, Cory Joseph, and James Anderson played a combined 69 minutes).

I love the move, but I didn't buy tickets to the game. I might feel differently if I spent the outrageous amount of money needed to go to a Heat game.
    Therein lies the rub. Multimillion dollar paychecks require "main event" ticket prices every night just to pay the bills, so the theater goer feels cheated if they get the under study when the star's throat is sore. Plus, the expanded number of teams in the league only allows for one visit to some cities.

While I don't think either side was correct in the handling of this situation, both sides have valid points. However, this is an "integrity of the league" ethical dilemma. To me, it is most like intentionally throwing a game and the biggest issue is the fans who bought tickets for a "big game."

Where it really gets unfair is if the Heat have "premium" games, and this was included. If that was the case, I'd be issuing refunds and sending the bill to the Spurs.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    From yesterday, but this is a great read. Stern is terrible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html
    I don't follow the NBA at any more than a far distance, don't even rembember the last full game I watched, because, well, its boring. But just from a critical review of that article, a little heavy on the Spurs love to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't follow the NBA at any more than a far distance, don't even rembember the last full game I watched, because, well, its boring. But just from a critical review of that article, a little heavy on the Spurs love to be taken seriously.
    It's not so much about the Spurs as it is what the Spurs stand for. They're everything that Stern doesn't want the NBA to be. A small market team who plays a 'boring' style of basketball and are extremely successful.

The fine wasn't about the integrity of the game, or about the fans, it was about Stern getting mad that Popovich embarrassed him on national tv. Pop did it in a way where he would send a message, and it was apparently received loud and clear.

The best part was how the Spurs were extremely competitive in that game with their bench warmers, it just made Stern's embarrassing overreaction before the game funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    It's not so much about the Spurs as it is what the Spurs stand for. They're everything that Stern doesn't want the NBA to be. A small market team who plays a 'boring' style of basketball and are extremely successful.

The fine wasn't about the integrity of the game, or about the fans, it was about Stern getting mad that Popovich embarrassed him on national tv. Pop did it in a way where he would send a message, and it was apparently received loud and clear.

The best part was how the Spurs were extremely competitive in that game with their bench warmers, it just made Stern's embarrassing overreaction before the game funnier.
    Imagine if the Spurs had won. Would Stern have to rescind the fine? How could you fine a team for essentially throwing a game when they won the game?
    Last edited by improbus; 12-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Popovich was wrong. Stern was right. My buddy is a big Spurs' fan and always buy excellent seats. Last year he bought 4 $125 tix. And, trust me, this was a large amount of money for him. I would imagine all told the bill that night ran to about 700 dollars. So the people at home who aren't out a huge amount like that would probably be whistling a different tune if they were in his shoes. Resting guys in November. The NBA markets individual players. I think they have to play if possible. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Popovich was wrong. Stern was right. My buddy is a big Spurs' fan and always buy excellent seats. Last year he bought 4 $125 tix. And, trust me, this was a large amount of money for him. I would imagine all told the bill that night ran to about 700 dollars. So the people at home who aren't out a huge amount like that would probably be whistling a different tune if they were in his shoes. Resting guys in November. The NBA markets individual players. I think they have to play if possible. Ridiculous.
    Is it unfair when Dusty trots out a Sunday Special? Those fans bought tickets, too. I don't think fans who got to watch Lebron have too much right to feel cheated, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Okay, but how is Stern supposed to legislate his coaches? Does he have to review the teams lineup before every game? Isn't a coaches obligation to his team and doing whats best for them?

If Stern wants to complain, complain to the scheduling department. Do you really want an old SA team playing Miami in their 4th game in their 4th city in 5 nights with a big game two days later in Memphis when Miami was playing their first game in four days? Doesn't that open the door for injuries to the oft injured Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan? If you want to protect the integrity of your precious nationally televised games, then you probably shouldn't do such a poor job of scheduling these game.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Is it unfair when Dusty trots out a Sunday Special? Those fans bought tickets, too. I don't think fans who got to watch Lebron have too much right to feel cheated, anyway.
    I would hope you can see the difference between a game that plays twice as many games and the tickets are a quarter of the cost. Maybe not. Try the analogy of a night at the theater with seats that set you back upwards of a $100 per seat and all the understudies for each character are performing on the night you go to the show versus paying $10 to see a bad movie.
    Last edited by traderumor; 12-02-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Okay, but how is Stern supposed to legislate his coaches? Does he have to review the teams lineup before every game? Isn't a coaches obligation to his team and doing whats best for them?

If Stern wants to complain, complain to the scheduling department. Do you really want an old SA team playing Miami in their 4th game in their 4th city in 5 nights with a big game two days later in Memphis when Miami was playing their first game in four days? Doesn't that open the door for injuries to the oft injured Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan? If you want to protect the integrity of your precious nationally televised games, then you probably shouldn't do such a poor job of scheduling these game.
    It is more obvious than that. It is an ethical dilemma to put your best team on the floor out of respect for people who paid good money to attend your event vs. claiming you are resting all of your starters in a marquee matchup because of the grueling schedule-------a month into the season. Posturing is never pretty, and that is all this is, a good ole fashion turf war between children dressing like adults.

Turn Off Ads?