Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Silver Slugger Win!

Silver Slugger Win!

According to the Reds' Facebook page, Jay Bruce won the Silver Slugger Award!

https://www.facebook.com/Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Silver Slugger Win!

surprising

Leake got screwed!

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Leake got screwed!
    Ditto Joey Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Ditto Joey Votto.
    Votto lost for the same reason Bruce won.

Leake got screwed!
    Strasburg had a better OPS in a worse hitters park resulting in a 105 OPS+ for SS vs a 95 for ML and Strasburg drove in 7 runs to Mikes 3 in 16 less PA

Driving in runs means diddly. Leake also has 22 more points on his BA.

Driving in runs means diddly. Leake also has 22 more points on his BA.
    Driving in runs is a big factor in the SS award, If BA was a lone factor then Bruce wouldn't have won it for RF hitting .252 but he was 2nd in RBI despite having 57 less AB than the leader. If BA mattered Giancarlo Stanton's .290 with 37 HR would have won but he missed time and only drove in 86 having 111 fewer AB than Bruce and his 99 RBI.

If Average fully mattered then Adam LaRoche wouldn't have won at 1st hitting .271 but he lead with 100 RBI and won, Chase Headley hit .286 5th in qualified 3Bs but lead the NL in RBI and was 1st in 3B by 10 over a guy who hit 14 points better with 16 more XBH in 34 less AB.

I can't see Bruce deserving the award this season. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Bruce is the Reds' RF. Big power, very good defense, cost controlled, and still young. It's probably not fair to ask for more. But asking for more is what fans do right? And I'd like to see Bruce become a much tougher out. With his power he can be as dangerous as a cocked gun, but with 2 strikes... well, he may not be Drew Stubbs but to me he doesn't seem far off. My point is that with Bruce's problems making contact and low average, I think there may have been at least a couple of other oufielders who deserved the Silver Slugger award this season before him.

Turn Off Ads?