Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

Cozart was better defensively than what I thought he would be.

He's likley not going to improve substantially with the bat, but he's a fairly good all around SS.

If the Reds thing that Didi can duplicate that, I'm OK with trading Cozart. Didi still has upside to improve.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I expect Cozart to imporve his OBP over time, but not a great deal (somewhere in the .320-.330 range). I think he has more value right now, so I'd consider dealing him, but only for a top return. Considering the premium for starting SS's right now and the fact that he's cheap and under club control for several more seasons, I'd want a starting OF/3B or solid starter for a package that included him. I'd certainly want more than Coco Crisp.

Pick one SS and then go from then. If you have Cozart at SS you have (5?) more years of him cost controlled. It makes little sense to keep a trading piece on your bench because he is the back up SS. If you can't draft and develop a SS in 5 years then thats your issue.

If you can't tell I am in Cozart's camp. He was very solid defensively last season and has some nice pop in his bat. I have a feeling he will improve a little with the bat and don't see his defensive range going anywhere over the next 5 years or so.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Ugh. Coco Crisp. No thanks.
    Coco Crisp is one of those guys who feels like an upgrade, and then you look at his WAR and you realize he isn't.

Perception is a funny thing.

I wouldn't really count on many .320 OBP seasons from Cozart, that may be nearer to his high water mark.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If forced to choose to keep just one, I would keep Gregorius. I think he could replicate what Cozart does offensively with a little less pop and would give you better defense right now. With development in the bat, he will be a little better of a player.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Pick one SS and then go from then. If you have Cozart at SS you have (5?) more years of him cost controlled. It makes little sense to keep a trading piece on your bench because he is the back up SS. If you can't draft and develop a SS in 5 years then thats your issue.

If you can't tell I am in Cozart's camp. He was very solid defensively last season and has some nice pop in his bat. I have a feeling he will improve a little with the bat and don't see his defensive range going anywhere over the next 5 years or so.
    I like Cozart. He was very solid, and in his first full season. I also think he will improve some with the bat. Not spectacular in the field but makes all the plays.

Ode to Didi:
    'Twas the night before trading...and visions of Pokey Reese danced in my head.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Coco Crisp is one of those guys who feels like an upgrade, and then you look at his WAR and you realize he isn't.

One thing, potentially, to factor in here is Gregorius' role in shifting Billy Hamilton to CF. Maybe the Reds make that shift regardless of the organizational SS situation, but I sort of doubt that. If Cozart, who is going to be OB challenged throughout his career, is the only block to Hamilton at SS, it creates a very good argument to keeping Hamilton at SS for at least one more season.

Yet the Reds also had a kid with a sweet glove and a working stick advancing one level ahead of Hamilton. What the brass decided on might have been a long-range plan that involves Hamilton in CF and Didi at SS. I that's the case, then Cozart would be the player to deal. He's surely got some market right now and other teams definitely could use him.

It really depends on how high the front office is on Gregorius.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I wouldn't really count on many .320 OBP seasons from Cozart, that may be nearer to his high water mark.
    In 600 at bats some are already pigeon holing his OBP? I think his batting will see some improvement just based upon development. Get Cozart out of the leadoff spot and hit him down in the order and I think you will see his production increase.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In 600 at bats some are already pigeon holing his OBP? I think his batting will see some improvement just based upon development. Get Cozart out of the leadoff spot and hit him down in the order and I think you will see his production increase.
    You do realize that Cozart turned 27 during the past baseball season don't you? Guys don't exactly flip on a switch at that age.

Also, aside from batting him 8th where he would just be walked to get to the pitcher more, why would Cozart benefit from moving down in the lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

Perceptions of WAR can be equally humorous.

There is just something about DiDi that reminds me a little too much of the Gookies and Pokeys (and Bergollas and Olmedos) of the past.

I hope he proves me wrong, but if I have to choose between the two, I'd probably keep Cozart.

Let's hope and trust the Reds make the right decision and this plays out like the Larkin/Stillwell sequel 25 years later. Hopefully it does better than Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One thing, potentially, to factor in here is Gregorius' role in shifting Billy Hamilton to CF. Maybe the Reds make that shift regardless of the organizational SS situation, but I sort of doubt that. If Cozart, who is going to be OB challenged throughout his career, is the only block to Hamilton at SS, it creates a very good argument to keeping Hamilton at SS for at least one more season.

Yet the Reds also had a kid with a sweet glove and a working stick advancing one level ahead of Hamilton. What the brass decided on might have been a long-range plan that involves Hamilton in CF and Didi at SS. I that's the case, then Cozart would be the player to deal. He's surely got some market right now and other teams definitely could use him.

It really depends on how high the front office is on Gregorius.
    I think the presence of Gregorius may have been more of a convenient excuse to move him to CF without hurting his confidence than a true reason for the move. Surely it's at minimum some of both.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?