Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70

Thread: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,533

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Cozart was better defensively than what I thought he would be.

    He's likley not going to improve substantially with the bat, but he's a fairly good all around SS.

    If the Reds thing that Didi can duplicate that, I'm OK with trading Cozart. Didi still has upside to improve.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,717

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    I expect Cozart to imporve his OBP over time, but not a great deal (somewhere in the .320-.330 range). I think he has more value right now, so I'd consider dealing him, but only for a top return. Considering the premium for starting SS's right now and the fact that he's cheap and under club control for several more seasons, I'd want a starting OF/3B or solid starter for a package that included him. I'd certainly want more than Coco Crisp.

  4. #18
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Pick one SS and then go from then. If you have Cozart at SS you have (5?) more years of him cost controlled. It makes little sense to keep a trading piece on your bench because he is the back up SS. If you can't draft and develop a SS in 5 years then thats your issue.

    If you can't tell I am in Cozart's camp. He was very solid defensively last season and has some nice pop in his bat. I have a feeling he will improve a little with the bat and don't see his defensive range going anywhere over the next 5 years or so.

  5. #19
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,003

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Ugh. Coco Crisp. No thanks.
    Coco Crisp is one of those guys who feels like an upgrade, and then you look at his WAR and you realize he isn't.

    Perception is a funny thing.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

  6. #20
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    I wouldn't really count on many .320 OBP seasons from Cozart, that may be nearer to his high water mark.

  7. #21
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,881

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    If forced to choose to keep just one, I would keep Gregorius. I think he could replicate what Cozart does offensively with a little less pop and would give you better defense right now. With development in the bat, he will be a little better of a player.

  8. #22
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Pick one SS and then go from then. If you have Cozart at SS you have (5?) more years of him cost controlled. It makes little sense to keep a trading piece on your bench because he is the back up SS. If you can't draft and develop a SS in 5 years then thats your issue.

    If you can't tell I am in Cozart's camp. He was very solid defensively last season and has some nice pop in his bat. I have a feeling he will improve a little with the bat and don't see his defensive range going anywhere over the next 5 years or so.
    I like Cozart. He was very solid, and in his first full season. I also think he will improve some with the bat. Not spectacular in the field but makes all the plays.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  9. #23
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Ode to Didi:
    'Twas the night before trading...and visions of Pokey Reese danced in my head.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  10. #24
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Coco Crisp is one of those guys who feels like an upgrade, and then you look at his WAR and you realize he isn't.

    Perception is a funny thing.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  11. #25
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,137

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    One thing, potentially, to factor in here is Gregorius' role in shifting Billy Hamilton to CF. Maybe the Reds make that shift regardless of the organizational SS situation, but I sort of doubt that. If Cozart, who is going to be OB challenged throughout his career, is the only block to Hamilton at SS, it creates a very good argument to keeping Hamilton at SS for at least one more season.

    Yet the Reds also had a kid with a sweet glove and a working stick advancing one level ahead of Hamilton. What the brass decided on might have been a long-range plan that involves Hamilton in CF and Didi at SS. I that's the case, then Cozart would be the player to deal. He's surely got some market right now and other teams definitely could use him.

    It really depends on how high the front office is on Gregorius.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #26
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I wouldn't really count on many .320 OBP seasons from Cozart, that may be nearer to his high water mark.
    In 600 at bats some are already pigeon holing his OBP? I think his batting will see some improvement just based upon development. Get Cozart out of the leadoff spot and hit him down in the order and I think you will see his production increase.

  13. #27
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,881

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In 600 at bats some are already pigeon holing his OBP? I think his batting will see some improvement just based upon development. Get Cozart out of the leadoff spot and hit him down in the order and I think you will see his production increase.
    You do realize that Cozart turned 27 during the past baseball season don't you? Guys don't exactly flip on a switch at that age.

    Also, aside from batting him 8th where he would just be walked to get to the pitcher more, why would Cozart benefit from moving down in the lineup?

  14. #28
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Coco Crisp is one of those guys who feels like an upgrade, and then you look at his WAR and you realize he isn't.

    Perception is a funny thing.
    Perceptions of WAR can be equally humorous.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,752

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    There is just something about DiDi that reminds me a little too much of the Gookies and Pokeys (and Bergollas and Olmedos) of the past.

    I hope he proves me wrong, but if I have to choose between the two, I'd probably keep Cozart.

    Let's hope and trust the Reds make the right decision and this plays out like the Larkin/Stillwell sequel 25 years later. Hopefully it does better than Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps.
    Go BLUE!!!

  16. #30
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One thing, potentially, to factor in here is Gregorius' role in shifting Billy Hamilton to CF. Maybe the Reds make that shift regardless of the organizational SS situation, but I sort of doubt that. If Cozart, who is going to be OB challenged throughout his career, is the only block to Hamilton at SS, it creates a very good argument to keeping Hamilton at SS for at least one more season.

    Yet the Reds also had a kid with a sweet glove and a working stick advancing one level ahead of Hamilton. What the brass decided on might have been a long-range plan that involves Hamilton in CF and Didi at SS. I that's the case, then Cozart would be the player to deal. He's surely got some market right now and other teams definitely could use him.

    It really depends on how high the front office is on Gregorius.
    I think the presence of Gregorius may have been more of a convenient excuse to move him to CF without hurting his confidence than a true reason for the move. Surely it's at minimum some of both.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25