Turn Off Ads?

Thread: America's Cup

America's Cup

So I know it's sailing and nobody cares, however if you haven't follow this verision of the America's Cup you are missing out.

USA is hosting New Zealand and the racing is being done in sprint style races in San Francisco. The first to 9 wins and New Zealand took a 8-1 series lead last week. Today USA just finished their 7th consecutive win and forced a winner takes all race tomorrow afternoon. Pretty crazy drama and worth a look tomorrow if you have time and the NBC Sports Network.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: America's Cup

I own two sailboats, watched a couple early races. The US tactics early were kind of perplexing, tacking into the current around the second mark a couple times and giving up their lead. Glad to see them even it up.

I do miss the mono hulls, but the sight of a 40 knot sailboat sure is thrilling.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I own two sailboats, watched a couple early races. The US tactics early were kind of perplexing, tacking into the current around the second mark a couple times and giving up their lead. Glad to see them even it up.

I do miss the mono hulls, but the sight of a 40 knot sailboat sure is thrilling.
    I grew up sailing and I think I'd have to go through NASA training to figure out how to make that thing move. I can't image going 40-50knts over the water.

Oracle completes the comeback and wins in a blowout to take the Cup 9-8. Absolutely stunning comeback.

6. Likes:

Gallen5862 (09-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I grew up sailing and I think I'd have to go through NASA training to figure out how to make that thing move. I can't image going 40-50knts over the water.
    Interesting article here. They have similar controls as a regular mainsail for draft, camber, twist. In some ways it seems like traditional sailing, except that the sail controls are hydraulic.

http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/tri...-different-too
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I had no idea this was going on. None. Far cry from the old days at Newport with Ted Turner getting major attention.
    Shame on the national media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I had no idea this was going on. None. Far cry from the old days at Newport with Ted Turner getting major attention.
    Shame on the national media.
    Yeah it didn't get very much pub unless you knew where to look. It was really too bad too because the television coverage was really good even for more novice viewers and the setting in SF Bay was amazing.

Turn Off Ads?