Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Mangini-ESPN

Eric Mangini-ESPN

Is it just me or is Eric Mangini one of the most irritating personalities at ESPN? I can sure see why he rubbed so many people the wrong way at Cleveland and it has little to do with his football smarts. The guy has a way of lecturing on and on and never saying a thing. I can see how that would grate on his players, asst coaches, the press and the fans.

Ex 1: When Matt Leinart got hurt recently for the Titans leaving them with a 3rd string QB, Mangini was asked "do they look to bring in a veteran to start or backup?"

To which he goes on to answer in a thousand words or so and basically says "It depends on who it is. It's very tough to come in this late in the year"

(Thanks for the insight, coach. That hadn't occured to us.)

Ex 2: Regarding the INT that Tom Brady threw last week that rersulted in a shouting match on the sidelines..."Should Brady have even thrown that pass given the situation that a FG would have sewn up the game?"

Mangini: "I can't really say, not knowing what the reads were and other details about the play"

(yeah, we know that, coach. That's why we asked the question)

His body language and montone ways of endless speeches like he's telling us something really profound while in reality only saying the obvious is hard to watch. What's really amazing is that he'd ever be given a job where he's called on to motivate and lead young men. He has no more business being on TV talking football than Dave Shula

Maybe Browns fans can give me more insight into this guy but this sports fan is hoping he finds a coaching gig real quick...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Eric Mangini-ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is it just me or is Eric Mangini one of the most irritating personalities at ESPN?
    You're a better man than I if you can point out the "most" irritating personality at ESPN. From a cast of 1,000s, I'm not sure I could pick the one that annoyed me the most if a gun was aimed at my head.

Mangini was labeled "Mangenius" early on in his coaching career and I think that went to his head. He also was fired only to find a job quickly which probably also went to stroke his ego. From my perspective he was the kind of coach that demanded "my way or the highway" with no success to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    You're a better man than I if you can point out the "most" irritating personality at ESPN. From a cast of 1,000s, I'm not sure I could pick the one that annoyed me the most if a gun was aimed at my head.
    That's the amazing thing. Out of that cast of a thousand he still stands out to me

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    The sad thing is that when I compare it to almost any other television or radio sports out there, it's still by far the best. The problem is one of incentives. No other network has established that it will be a place for people to make as their destination. So essentially everyone who works at another network is looking at that job as essentially AAA. This means they try to do what the guys at ESPN do, but are just not as good at it.

That said, Mangini's never really bothered me so much as he doesn't seem to add anything other than his smugness. He has plenty of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Something about him definitely irks me that's for sure.

My list of people on ESPN that I can't stand is something like this

Digger Phelps
    Mark May
    Chris Berman
    Mel Kiper Jr.
    Tedy Bruschi

Mangini isn't at their level for me, but he isn't interesting in any way shape or form. I think he just sucks more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Digger Phelps
    Mark May
    Chris Berman
    Mel Kiper Jr.
    Tedy Bruschi

Mangini isn't at their level for me, but he isn't interesting in any way shape or form. I think he just sucks more than anything else.
    I must salute you for that list..(We need a salute smilie here guys)

Those guys are very irritating as well. Unfortunately most of them have been with ESPN for some time so I'm not optimistic that they'll fire Mangini

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Digger Phelps
    Mark May
    Chris Berman
    Mel Kiper Jr.
    Tedy Bruschi

Digger doesn't really bother me. At least he knows what he is talking about. Mel Kiper Jr. is good at talking about the draft and pretty much nothing else. I tune him out when he isn't talking about the draft.

Mark May is like a professional heal wrestler. Just an unlikable guy. Berman needed to go away about 10 years ago and Bruschi doesn't really do much for me either way.

I can't stand Steward Scott or Chris Brussard.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Trey Wingo. Screw that guy.

Anyone on their NBA coverage because they try to be too street.

But, I cancelled my pay tv so I don't have to be subjected to them anymore and I don't miss any sports news at all.

Lets be honest here though, what can any of these guys like Mangino say that is exactly news worthy? Sports 'analysts' don't exactly rate high on new information.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

We've gotta add Colin Cowherd to the list... does no one remember him dissing Cincy and Votto last season (2010).

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    We've gotta add Colin Cowherd to the list... does no one remember him dissing Cincy and Votto last season (2010).

He pretty much disses everyone besides NY, Chicago, LA, and Boston.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I understand why people dislike him, but at least he uses the all-22 game film and attempts to break to stuff down and explain what happened. Overall his content is still better than 98% of the guys on football bc hes almost always using the all-22 film.

He's definitely better than all the monkey poo flinging back and forth of Skip Bayless and whoever is on with him.

The only guys on ESPN really worth listening to:
    CBB
    Jay Bilas pretty much always spot on.
    Gottlieb isnt close to bilas but hes still better than most of the guys on TV content wise, despite his voice.

MLB
    No one

CFB
    Pollack and Palmer are above average. Rest are meh

NFL
    Jaworski when hes on his show NFL matchup (just ignore Hodge and Sal). He dumbs it down way too much for mnf though :-(

NBA
    Russillo

Most of the other ESPN guys worth watching are either good but obscure, or just so bad I could write a book about them (Tom Jackson, Mike ditka, and Trent dilfer stand out the most).
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    NFL
    Jaworski when hes on his show NFL matchup (just ignore Hodge and Sal). He dumbs it down way too much for mnf though :-(
    I think John Clayton and Chris Mortensen are top notch

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think John Clayton and Chris Mortensen are top notch
    yea those two and schefter are all fine, but thats bc they are generally just reporting on information about teams and arent doing much of the pundit type junk analysis that the majority on espn do
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Turn Off Ads?