Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ohio State Basketball 2012-2013

Re: Ohio State Basketball 2012-2013

Well I'm shocked.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'll steal this from another board:

"Going out in the round of 8 is about right for this team. Going out to WSU is not right."
    I think that is not fair to Wichita St. They are obviously legit, almost ran out of gas, but that is a very good team, not some wannabe on a hot streak in the NCAA.

And a team rarely survives a bad shooting night in the tourney, but especially in the Regional Finals. The Buckeyes were just one of those teams this year that are very bad on an off night. I was impressed that they got in a position to steal the game.

Hats off to Wichita St. They made a legit run of playing solid, good basketball and knocked off the two highest seeds in their region, not backing into it with upsets ahead of them.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

4. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2013),GAC (04-01-2013),Revering4Blue (03-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kinda ironic since the refs have gotten Ohio State back in it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    There were just some horrific phantom calls going both ways all game. It made the game really difficult to watch for those of us used to the way B1G games are officiated...

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think that is not fair to Wichita St. They are obviously legit, almost ran out of gas, but that is a very good team, not some wannabe on a hot streak in the NCAA.

And a team rarely survives a bad shooting night in the tourney, but especially in the Regional Finals. The Buckeyes were just one of those teams this year that are very bad on an off night. I was impressed that they got in a position to steal the game.

Hats off to Wichita St. They made a legit run of playing solid, good basketball and knocked off the two highest seeds in their region, not backing into it with upsets ahead of them.
    Very well said indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    There were just some horrific phantom calls going both ways all game. It made the game really difficult to watch for those of us used to the way B1G games are officiated...
    Two bad calls against OSU led to 4 points late in the 1st half. Going into half time down 9 as opposed to 13 would have been huge.

A couple of things I took away from the game. They couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. There have been times that OSU has struggled getting the ball in the basket this season. They should have taken it inside more but the reality was they were missing open shots. There were a couple of hurried shots but it wasn't like they were jacking up contested 3 after contested 3.

The second and probably most critical point was Thad. Thad waited to long to coach his butt off. He waited to long to start pulling strings and doing something unconventional. When they are having trouble scoring you can't have Thompson and Smith Jr. on the floor at the same time. The full court press was a nice wrinkle but a stupid press. WSU had too easy of a time getting the ball into play and then they allowed them to bring the ball up the court unguarded. I also didn't like the full out defense they played early in the 2nd. WSU was able to beat that a number of easy baskets when OSU was trying to come back. When the deficit got to 20 Thad really coached his butt off and they almost came back. He made decisions like there was no tomorrow. And his players played like there was a fire lit under them.

Finally in order to pull off an upset you need some luck. In the first half I there were several times where a ball would a take a funny bounce or a loose ball would bounce in the right direction. I don't call it luck, just good fortune. You need those breaks and WSU got those breaks early.

In the end it was a fun season. Ross really came on and will be a joy to watch next season. One more season of watching Craft play, this time along side Scott for most of the season. Its was a kick to the gut to lose in the elite 8 with an awful shooting performance for 30 minutes, but so is the NCAA tournament.

OSU's last two "nail-biting" last second victories (Iowa State and Arizona) had me thinking in the back of my mind this team wasn't going to advance much further. Losing to WSU wasn't a great surprise to me (really). I hate to say it, but I thought they'd lose to AZ. OSU is in need of another offensive player (back court) IMO.

Michigan looks tough in this tourney. I foresee a Louisville-Michigan NC game... and it ought to be a good one IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-01-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Is there any indication of what Thomas is thinking for next year? He's currently being mocked early in the second round, so he wouldn't have guaranteed money. If he comes back, OSU is going to be very tough. Even if he doesn't, I think they could still be better than they were this year with Ross just taking his spot in the lineup and expected improvements from guys like Williams, Thompson, Scott, and possibly some guys off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Is there any indication of what Thomas is thinking for next year? He's currently being mocked early in the second round, so he wouldn't have guaranteed money. If he comes back, OSU is going to be very tough. Even if he doesn't, I think they could still be better than they were this year with Ross just taking his spot in the lineup and expected improvements from guys like Williams, Thompson, Scott, and possibly some guys off the bench.
    I would love to see Thomas finish it out, but will be very surprised if he does. I'm not sure that he can raise his stock any higher, because I think he is what he is at this stage. They have an offensive minded forward coming in (Loving) and with the others' improvement, as you said, they have a good foundation that should allow them to stay in the top half of the league with or without Thomas. I hope he comes back as a fan, but also understand that is improbable.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would love to see Thomas finish it out, but will be very surprised if he does. I'm not sure that he can raise his stock any higher, because I think he is what he is at this stage. They have an offensive minded forward coming in (Loving) and with the others' improvement, as you said, they have a good foundation that should allow them to stay in the top half of the league with or without Thomas. I hope he comes back as a fan, but also understand that is improbable.
    I don't expect Thomas to come back. I think at this point I don't know how high he can go. If he is a second round pick this year he may be able to move into the first round. Thomas will get drafted because of his offensive abilities. The question Thomas will have to ask himself is, is being a 2nd rounder this year better than being a 2nd rounder next year with a degree? DT should make a very nice living playing basketball, whether its in the NBA or in Europe.

Ohio State junior forward Deshaun Thomas is forgoing his last season and declaring himself eligible for the NBA Draft, reports CBSSports.com.

Thomas averaged 19.8 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season, led the team to the regional finals in the NCAA Tournament where they lost to Wichita State, and was named a third-time All-American selection.
    http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/05/oh...2_a5&eref=sihp

I'm shocked Deshaun Thomas isn't mocked higher than the second round.

I'd take him near lottery, as he has range, can handle the ball a bit, and is big enough to cause problems for smaller wings.

Love his game.

I read somewhere that this is expected to be the worst draft in 20 years. If so, it is a good decision for him to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm shocked Deshaun Thomas isn't mocked higher than the second round.

I'd take him near lottery, as he has range, can handle the ball a bit, and is big enough to cause problems for smaller wings.

Love his game.
    I agree, offensively. Dude is a serious scorer. But I'm not sure who he guards at the next level. I'm not sure he's quick enough to guard a 3 or big/physical enough to guard a 4.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?