Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

The rules: You cannot add more than $20MM to the 2013 or 2014 payroll. Three moves or less. Try to keep it as realistic as possible.

1. Trade Leake, Gregorius, Heisey and Corcino for Justin Upton
    2. Sign Grady Sizemore to a 1 year, $3MM contract
    3. Sign Ryan Madson (or Joakim Soria) to a 1 year, $6MM contract

Opening Day Roster

CF Sizemore/Stubbs platoon (keeps Sizemore healthy, keeps Stubbs vs LHP)
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF J.Upton
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco/Hanigan
    SS Cozart (pop at the bottom of the order, and batting ahead of the pitcher could help boost his OBP)

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Bailey
    SP Arroyo
    SP Chapman/Cingrani (these two should be able to throw roughly 100-125 IP each, with the other one continuing to "stretch out" in the minors or in a long relief role)

BP LeCure
    BP Hoover
    BP Arredondo/Simon/Cingrani?
    BP Masset
    SU Marshall
    CL Madson or Soria

*In 2014, Hamilton takes over in CF/leadoff (or sooner if Sizemore can't stay healthy), and Marshall or Hoover takes over closing duties.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-13-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Chapman, Corcino, Neftali Soto, Lutz, Yorman Rodriguez to Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton.
    Heisey and Sharky Rogers to Indians for 1 year rental of Choo.
    Re-sign Madson and Broxton for bullpen.

CF Choo
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF Stanton
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Hanigan/Navarro
    SS Cozart

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Arroyo
    SP Bailey
    SP Leake

CL Madson
    RP Broxton
    RP Marshall
    RP Hoover
    RP Arredondo
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Lecure

Deal Leake, Corcino, and Ondrusek to Rockies for Dexter Fowler.
    Sign Lance Berkman to a one-year, $6 million contract.
    Sign free agent RP Ryan Madson to a two-year, $15 million, backloaded contract.

Fowler CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Berkman LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 2B
    Hanigan C
    Cozart SS

Cueto
    Latos
    Chapman/ Corcino
    Bailey
    Arroyo

Madson
    Hoover
    Marshall
    LeCure
    Arredondo
    Simon
    Massett
    Corcino

Mesoraco C
    Heisey OF
    Paul OF
    H. Rodriguez PH/ 3B
    Gregorius SS/ 2B

When Berkman's gimpy, some combination of Henry Rodriguez, Todd Frazier, Chris Heisey, and Xavier Paul take over in LF and 3B. Ride the hot hand.

Weak bench. Great starting pitching. Good health from the corners, continued progression of Bruce, Frazier, Cozart key to two pennants in a row.

1. Steal Underpants
    3. Win
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    1. Steal Underpants
    3. Win
    Win = Profit

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    1. Steal Underpants
    3. Win
    This idea is the most realistic, because I don't see any of the trades proposed as anywhere near realistic.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    This idea is the most realistic, because I don't see any of the trades proposed as anywhere near realistic.
    Sorry, but I see Leake, Gregorius, Heisey and Corcino as pretty realistic for Upton.

I don't see the D'Backs getting much more than a young starting pitcher with a proven track record (who could be their #3), a young major league ready starting SS, a top 50 SP prospect and a major league OF.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sorry, but I see Leake, Gregorius, Heisey and Corcino as pretty realistic for Upton.

I don't see the D'Backs getting much more than a young starting pitcher with a proven track record (who could be their #3), a young major league ready starting SS, a top 50 SP prospect and a major league OF.
    I just don't see a team trading its franchise player to the Reds for any package that does not include Hamilton. None of the players I believe would be the center piece of such a trade.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I agree that your Upton trade makes sense, although I'm guessing it would take Cozart rather than Gregorius. I suggested something similar in a different thread.

I like your proposed team up to about the seventh inning. I would hate to go into the season with your proposed bullpen, however. Too many guys coming off major injuries.

But the first six or seven innings would be fun.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-13-2012 at 02:32 PM.

I haven't figured out three moves of doom yet. For instance, I'm not 100% sure what the proper deal for Fowler is. Probably still costs Homer Bailey, which I'd pay gladly if I knew that the plan was to put Chapman into the rotation (in which case the Reds need to do some bullpen shopping). And would Stubbs be in that deal? If a prospect like Corcino wre in there what could the Reds get in addition to Fowler? There's lots of dominoes involved with that particular move.

In the meantime, a simple CF solution might be Nyjer Morgan. His career slash line vs. RHPs is .297/.352/.385. The Reds could platoon him with Stubbs at the top of the lineup.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

np
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree that your Upton trade makes sense, although I'm guessing it would take Cozart rather than Gregorius. I suggested something similar in a different thread.

I like your proposed team up to about the seventh inning. I would hate to go into the season with your proposed bullpen, however. Too many guys coming off major injuries.

But the first six or seven innings would be fun.
    While I'd rather deal Gregorius, I'd be OK subbing Cozart for him in that deal for Upton.

As far as the 7th-9th innings go, I'd be happy going in with this year's bullpen but subbing Madson or Soria in for Chapman- what's wrong with that?
    Go BLUE!!!

While I'd rather deal Gregorius, I'd be OK subbing Cozart for him in that deal for Upton.

As far as the 7th-9th innings go, I'd be happy going in with this year's bullpen but subbing Madson or Soria in for Chapman- what's wrong with that?
    Madson and Soria both are coming off Tommy John surgery. Neither has pitched in a game since the surgery. Soria likely won't even be available until May at the earliest.

And your bullpen also has Masset who missed the entire 2012 season with injury, after a weak 2011.

I'm not entrusting a contending ballclub to such a bullpen. Maybe one injury rehab guy in middle relief. But not my closer and righty set up man.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-13-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Madson and Soria both are coming off Tommy John surgery. Neither has pitched in a game since the surgery. Soria likely won't even be available until May at the earliest.

And your bullpen also has Masset who missed the entire 2012 season with injury, after a weak 2011.

I'm not entrusting a contending ballclub to such a bullpen. Maybe one injury rehab guy in middle relief. But not my closer and righty set up man.
    I trust Hoover as more of the RH-setup guy than Masset.

Add in LeCure and Marshall (as well as one of the FA acquisitions), and you leave two spots to:

Arredondo/Simon/Masset/Ondrusek/some other cheap acquisition (and/or possibly Cingrani)

I think it's a fairly safe bet that two guys can emerge from that bunch to be dependable relievers. Arredondo and Simon were certainly dependable relievers this year, so just pencil in those two if you don't trust Masset.

As far as the closer goes, you could always try Hoover or Marshall if they can't return to form. I still think that leaves us with as good of a bullpen as any team out there, but of course you value bullpen higher than I do.
    Go BLUE!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Sign Lance Berkman to a one-year, $6 million contract.
    Shudder........

I'm not sure he'll be fit enough to play DH.

And how would Cris Carpenter....never mind.

Turn Off Ads?