Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Re: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In the meantime, a simple CF solution might be Nyjer Morgan. His career slash line vs. RHPs is .297/.352/.385. The Reds could platoon him with Stubbs at the top of the lineup.
    I think that's a great idea. A platoon of Morgan and Stubbs (assuming they are platooned correctly) would actually be quite productive and inexpensive. Save the bullets to solve the other positions and acquire needed depth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I trust Hoover as more of the RH-setup guy than Masset.

Add in LeCure and Marshall (as well as one of the FA acquisitions), and you leave two spots to:

Arredondo/Simon/Masset/Ondrusek/some other cheap acquisition (and/or possibly Cingrani)

I think it's a fairly safe bet that two guys can emerge from that bunch to be dependable relievers. Arredondo and Simon were certainly dependable relievers this year, so just pencil in those two if you don't trust Masset.

As far as the closer goes, you could always try Hoover or Marshall if they can't return to form. I still think that leaves us with as good of a bullpen as any team out there, but of course you value bullpen higher than I do.
    I'm willing to take some chances on the bullpen and give Chapman a chance to start.

But I don't think it's too much to ask for the Reds to add to the ballclub
    one healthy, solid late inning reliever to fill his spot. I don't think you replace Chapman by shuffling your current pen around and adding rehabbing pitchers.

I almost gagged when you referred to Arredondo as a dependable reliever last year, but that's not the purpose of the thread so I'll defer further comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm willing to take some chances on the bullpen and give Chapman a chance to start.

But I don't think it's too much to ask for the Reds to add to the ballclub
    one healthy, solid late inning reliever to fill his spot. I don't think you replace Chapman by shuffling your current pen around and adding rehabbing pitchers.

I almost gagged when you referred to Arredondo as a dependable reliever last year, but that's not the purpose of the thread so I'll defer further comment.
    I believe the Reds had the best bullpen in the league last year. Subbing Madson in for Chapman doesn't really take all that much away from that, particularly if you are boosting your rotation and your offense.

As for Arredondo, I'll take 6-2, 2.95 ERA 1.37 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 from the last guy in my bullpen every year.

And as for rehabbing pitchers vs. healthy pitchers, I'd rather have Madson or Soria next year than Broxton- especially if the former comes cheaper.
    Go BLUE!!!

If Chapman goes to the rotation, the Reds either need to find another LHP or go with Cingrani. The latter would be a tough move to make if they've become convinced he's got a future as a starter, mainly because it would cost him the chance to better hone his secondary pitches in the upper minors. And even if they go with Cingrani they still might want to add a LOOGY to use Cingrani and Marshall for more extended outings.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I think that's a great idea. A platoon of Morgan and Stubbs (assuming they are platooned correctly) would actually be quite productive and inexpensive. Save the bullets to solve the other positions and acquire needed depth.
    Just get a new manager first because I can't recall Baker ever platooning.

1. Sign Youklis to play 3B moving Frazier to LF.
    2. Trade Leake, DiDi and another spare part to the Twins for Span.
    3. Resign Madson to move Chapman to the rotation.

4. For the love of God, DO NOT SIGN Nyjer Morgan

1. Leake, Cozart, Lotzkar, LaMarre to the D'Backs for Justin Upton
    2. Koji Uehara, 1 yr/$4MM to be the "closer" so that Chapman can start
    3. Make Dusty Baker write "I will not put guys with a sub .300 OBP at the top of my lineup" 10,000 times on the chalkboard (or add Nyjer Morgan as a platoon partner for Stubbs, assuming they deem he's not too insane)
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-13-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In the meantime, a simple CF solution might be Nyjer Morgan. His career slash line vs. RHPs is .297/.352/.385. The Reds could platoon him with Stubbs at the top of the lineup.
    I'd rather bring back Taveras, Patterson and Edmonds before I want the Reds to even THINK about Nyjer Morgan. He is the definition of a clubhouse cancer.

1. The Dbacks and Reds should be able to work out something for Upton. Cozart/Didi, Heisey/Stubbs, whatever, just get it done.

2. Victorino

3. I'd stay flexible about whether I'm adding a closer or starter. Assuming Leake's moved, you can A) move Chapman to the rotation, of course, and get a net improvement (not a given) and sign a closer. Or B) sign an inning-eater and not get a huge fall-off from Leake and keep Chapman in the closing role. It all depends on how the market develops. It's sounding like Broxton's getting bidded up a bit and there are lot of vet BOR starters on the board.

1. Re-sign Ryan Ludwick or acquire Josh Willingham or Shin-Soo Choo
    2. Acquire Dexter Fowler or Denard Span or sign Angel Pagan or Shane Victorino
    3. Sign Ryan Madson or Jokim Soria freeing Chapman for the rotation

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    1. Trade whatever combination of minor leaguers that does not include Hamilton or Stephenson to Miami for Stanton.
    2. Re-sign Broxton/Madson or sign Soria.
    3. Trade Gregorious to Atlanta for Parra, trade Stubbs for whatever. Maybe some failed starter we can stick in the bullpen. I really don't care, just get him off the team to make room for Parra.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    1. Trade whatever combination of minor leaguers that does not include Hamilton or Stephenson to Miami for Stanton.
    2. Re-sign Broxton/Madson or sign Soria.
    3. Trade Gregorious to Atlanta for Parra, trade Stubbs for whatever. Maybe some failed starter we can stick in the bullpen. I really don't care, just get him off the team to make room for Parra.
    Seriously, if you do #1...you can skip 2 and 3 and head straight to the "print playoff tickets" step.

High five!

1. Turn off "fair trades"
    2. Trade all our less than awesome players for awesome players
    3. Turn on "fair trades"

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    1. Turn off "fair trades"
    2. Trade all our less than awesome players for awesome players
    3. Turn on "fair trades"

Better strike tonight before Selig turns it back on in the league settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I believe the Reds had the best bullpen in the league last year. Subbing Madson in for Chapman doesn't really take all that much away from that, particularly if you are boosting your rotation and your offense.

As for Arredondo, I'll take 6-2, 2.95 ERA 1.37 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 from the last guy in my bullpen every year.

And as for rehabbing pitchers vs. healthy pitchers, I'd rather have Madson or Soria next year than Broxton- especially if the former comes cheaper.

1.37 WHIP for a reliever isn't very good and 2.95 ERA is just ok for a bullpenner. In the second half Arredondo had a 4.21 ERA and a 1.558 WHIP. He was pretty bad in the second half. Maybe he'll rebound, but I wouldn't bet the Reds' season on it.

As for the "best bullpen in the league" last year, it might have been when you include Chapman's 15.3 Ks per nine innings; his .809 WHIP; his 1.51 ERA in 71.2 innings. Take those stellar numbers out, I don't agree.

Frankly, other than Chapman and Marshall, I though the bullpen was just ok. I don't think Lecure, Simon, Ondrusek, an injured Bray, and Arredondo is a particularly good pen.

Hoover could be good, he was in AAA most of the year. Broxton helped, but he's a FA.

You think that's enough without Chapman? I don't.

Without Chapman, I think another healthy solid late inning guy is imperative.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?