Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Re: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Capuano?
    He would be fine as well. Somebody who can pitch some relief and be an insurance starter of decent quality.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    5. Add a depth pitcher for the rotation. Bruce Chen? Somebody cheaper than Arroyo who can camp out in the bullpen while awaiting the returns on Chapman as starter.
    I feel like I fell into a time warp.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Let me give this a shot:

1. Trade a couple of minor leaguers to Oakland and pick up centerfielder Coco Crisp. Have him leadoff and give Billy Hamilton another year in Triple A for more seasoning.

2. Keep Brandon Phillips. Yes, he is the mouth that roars but gold glovers don't grow on trees. Put him in the second spot of the lineup behind Crisp. If the Reds are determined to move him, sending him to the Diamondbacks for Aaron Hill and another player might make some sense.

3. Get a righthand hitter to play LF and bat in the middle of the order. Ludwick and Heisey are great fourth outfielders but you need that bopper so Votto doesn't get pitched around. Milwaukee's Khris Davis isn't established yet but has great potential. And with Ryan Braun returning next year, there is no room for him in Milwaukee's outfield. A deal of Leake and Heisey for Davis might work given Milwaukee's need for pitching.

4. Finally with the departure of Arroyo and the trade of Leake, that opens up spots in the rotation for Cingrani and Chapman. If Broxton isn't ready to start the season, give Hoover first shot at the closer's role.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

1. Choo
    2. Salty
    3. Eric Chavez

1. Trade Bailey and Phillips to the Blue Jays for Colby Rasmus and Brett Lowrie

2. Sign A.J. Burnett to 2 year deal for $25M

3. Sign. Mark Ellis
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1. Trade Bailey and Phillips to the Blue Jays for Colby Rasmus and Brett Lowrie

2. Sign A.J. Burnett to 2 year deal for $25M

3. Sign. Mark Ellis
    I like number one, but I'm not sure the Jays would do it. Bailey for Rasmus in a straight-up of rentals wouldn't be bad at all. Brett Lawrie is kind of a carbon copy of Todd Frazier, but would be worth doing because of his age and years of control. If the deal boils down to Phillips for Lawrie, I'm all in, but the Jays would just be trading one problem for another while taking on a bunch of money. Can't see them falling for that one.

Ellis as a cheap backfill for Phillips would be OK.

Burnett won't be coming though. He's already said he wants to re-up with the Pirates or retire. My guess is he gets a QO and accepts. If Chapman moves to the rotation, I'd rather give that money to a catcher who can hit against RHP.

Bailey for Rasmus
    Sign Salty
    Sign Eric Chavez.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like number one, but I'm not sure the Jays would do it. Bailey for Rasmus in a straight-up of rentals wouldn't be bad at all. Brett Lawrie is kind of a carbon copy of Todd Frazier, but would be worth doing because of his age and years of control. If the deal boils down to Phillips for Lawrie, I'm all in, but the Jays would just be trading one problem for another while taking on a bunch of money. Can't see them falling for that one.

Ellis as a cheap backfill for Phillips would be OK.

Burnett won't be coming though. He's already said he wants to re-up with the Pirates or retire. My guess is he gets a QO and accepts. If Chapman moves to the rotation, I'd rather give that money to a catcher who can hit against RHP.

Bailey for Rasmus
    Sign Salty
    Sign Eric Chavez.
    Thanks for the info on Burnett. If the Reds trade Bailey, and I think they should, they should use that money saved on a vet starting pitcher, as they will need innings with injuries of Cueto, Latos and Cingrani, and the uncertainty of Chapman in the rotation.

As for Phillips for Lowrie, you're right the money doesn't make sense, but the talent does, which might make up for that. Maybe if the Reds took Morrow off the Jay's hands it could work. Jays need a vet 2B, and are disenchanted with Lowrie. At least, it's a starting point of a deal that could make sense. I also think the Jays get an advantage with the Bailey/Rasmus swap.

1. Bailey, Heisey and Y.Rodriguez for Jurickson Profar and Leonys Martin.
    2. Phillips, Ludwick and Broxton for Matt Kemp and $20 million.
    3. Move Chapman to the rotation and let Marshall or Hoover close.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    1. Bailey, Heisey and Y.Rodriguez for Jurickson Profar and Leonys Martin.
    2. Phillips, Ludwick and Broxton for Matt Kemp and $20 million.
    3. Move Chapman to the rotation and let Marshall or Hoover close.
    If Profar is traded, The Rangers are getting David Price or Giancarlo Stanton. Unless Mike Trout or Bryce Harper hit the market, he's not going anywhere unless it's one of those guys. One year of Homer Bailey ain't getting him. Five years of Bailey wouldn't get him IMO.

I could see the Rangers going for a deal involving Bailey and Martin. Bailey and Marshall for Martin, Luis Sardinas and Robbie Ross. I'd do it and be thrilled with it. Chapman into Bailey's spot. Hoover to close. Ross to late inning relief. Money to spend on Parra and a couple of bats.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

RedlegJake (11-04-2013),Revering4Blue (11-03-2013)

Yep. Stories and articles I've been reading are pretty much agreeing with mth - the Rangers are not trading Profar unless they are knocked over in a deal. 1 year of Bailey, YRod and Heisey would not bowl them over. Bailey and Stephenson would bowl them over. And that would be insane. The Rangers will try and trade 1 or 2 other guys to make room for Profar and acquire pitching that way. I expect Kinsler and Cruz will be gone. Neither are enough for Bailey and both make too much money.

The Bailey/Marshall deal is interesting. Do you believe in Leonys Martin? His first full big league season was tantalizing but in the end came up blah. He's 25. His eye popping minor league numbers came in the PCL and Texas Leagues - notorious hitting environments. Sardinhas adds a SS to the system. Good glove - probably no better a hitter than Cozart if that (better OBP less power). Still, he'd fill a glaring need in the system. Robbie Ross is young, controllable and can pitch out of the pen (as he did for Texas) but he also can start (all he did in the minors - successfully). I don't think the talent is entirely equal - Martin is a definite risk of not blooming into anything, Sardinhas may not hit ML pitching but both have pretty high ceilings. Ross is a potential #3 starter and already a good bullpen arm but not as good as either Bailey or Marshall. Big thing for the Reds is enough talent to make shedding that payroll worth it and still keeping both the future and present intact. I think it's the best overall deal going both ways that I've seen proposed.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I understand that Marshall and Broxton have contracts that may be a bit in the expensive side, but I don't get all of the trade ideas involving them or chapman, or moving those guys and putting chapman in the rotation. Do we really want the back of the pen to be lecure parra and Hoover. They are tough relievers but don't have the swing and miss stuff if the aforementioned three. Last years injuries would make them hard to move as well. Same with ludwick. I think he'll have a solid 2014 and shouldn't be moved unless there's a huge upgrade.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 11-04-2013 at 10:03 AM.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If Profar is traded, The Rangers are getting David Price or Giancarlo Stanton. Unless Mike Trout or Bryce Harper hit the market, he's not going anywhere unless it's one of those guys. One year of Homer Bailey ain't getting him. Five years of Bailey wouldn't get him IMO.

I could see the Rangers going for a deal involving Bailey and Martin. Bailey and Marshall for Martin, Luis Sardinas and Robbie Ross. I'd do it and be thrilled with it. Chapman into Bailey's spot. Hoover to close. Ross to late inning relief. Money to spend on Parra and a couple of bats.
    Maybe last season Profar was that untouchable. Another year has gone by and he is still a guy who has yet to put up great numbers. Yes all the tools are still there but he is a year older without having put it together yet. I would say a lot of teams would have Wil Myers above Profar now and we saw what he got traded for last season. While it would take a nice deal for Rangers it would not have to be Price or Stanton only. At this point I do not see the Rangers as his value is at a low and I do not see teams trading for him for same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Maybe last season Profar was that untouchable. Another year has gone by and he is still a guy who has yet to put up great numbers. Yes all the tools are still there but he is a year older without having put it together yet. I would say a lot of teams would have Wil Myers above Profar now and we saw what he got traded for last season. While it would take a nice deal for Rangers it would not have to be Price or Stanton only. At this point I do not see the Rangers as his value is at a low and I do not see teams trading for him for same reason.
    I agree. The shine has worn off Profar just a bit.

The Rays don't need a middle infielder, and Stanton isn't getting traded. After Price and Stanton, there isn't much A-1 talent available for the Rangers to use Profar to get. Now they might just keep him, but in terms of trade offers for him., they aren't going to get much better than Bailey as a centerpiece. Besides the Rangers have never considered years of control an issue. They build the best team they can year to year, and figure they can buy whatever else they need.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    IIRC, RMR has been ahead of the curve, or at least us knuckleheads here in Redszone, most off seasons. Early on after the 2011 season, he argued the Reds should go after Latos, when no one even considered him as a trade target. And before that, I believe he was high on Kuroda before he was an established MLB starter.

I think we need to send his ideas to Walt
    I'd take a job offer...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I got carried away...

Trade to Toronto:
    Bailey
    Phillips
    Ludwick
    Marshal
    Broxton

Get from Toronto:
    Bautista
    Buehrlie
    Rasmus
    Delabar

Sign peralta to play 2b.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 11-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Turn Off Ads?