Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we need computers calling balls and strikes

Re: Why we need computers calling balls and strikes

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The NFL does a very good job of using instant replay to overturn calls and get them right. A system does not have to be automated or instant if the desire is to get all the calls on the field as accurate as possible.
    It only needs to be automated if you care about the pace of the game. Since I care about the pace of the game and don't wish to see every call on the field turned into a CSI episode (and I think we agree on that), I'm only looking for the use of technology in cases where it's streamlined.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Yes they do to the best of their abilities.

Now I know your going to say their ability is not good and there is a better way to call balls and strikes using technology. My response is then to get MLB to get moving on this project and show us how its done.
    I don't care about anything in regards to the best of their abilities.

MLB doesn't care what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And I've always considered that practice flawed by nature, so what I'm saying is I'm in favor of ditching it.
    How would you propose setting the zone for each player? If you do it based on an initial observation, then all a player would have to do is crouch more than usual to set a smaller zone, and then indefinitely could benefit from a tight strike zone.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    How would you propose setting the zone for each player? If you do it based on an initial observation, then all a player would have to do is crouch more than usual to set a smaller zone, and then indefinitely could benefit from a tight strike zone.
    Measure them standing straight and use a standard adjustment for everyone (e.g. 85% of total measurement with a 5% downward shift for the zone). Honestly, it's kind of crazy that players have been able to crouch their way out of the high strike.

Hasn't that been part of the game for like 100 years?

And now we're changing the strike zone so the system can measure it better?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Why do they still use chains in football?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why do they still use chains in football?
    Because they eliminate a referee's judgement call.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Measure them standing straight and use a standard adjustment for everyone (e.g. 85% of total measurement with a 5% downward shift for the zone). Honestly, it's kind of crazy that players have been able to crouch their way out of the high strike.
    In theory, it's a fine idea but in practice I'm not sure it goes over too well.

While the technology might permit that right now for Major League baseball, strike zones cannot be called like that in Little League, Babe Ruth, high school or college. So basically you're asking a player to change a batting approach they've probably used their post-adolescent lifetime, and alter it because you're essentially changing the strike zone on them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Because they eliminate a referee's judgement call.
    Except they don't, there are refs out there who think the first down line is the end of the chain and others who say it is the end of the chain plus the pole.
    Go Gators!

But the chains function to settle the dispute, nobody keeps arguing after the measurement. The only comparable in baseball I can think of at the moment is when they actually use replay, everything else seems open to continuing an argument, even someone who's already been ejected is able to keep arguing.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There is a guy watching the camera who sets it before each at bat based on the batters stance. Why would it be more difficult to click a mouse twice before each pitch when he already does it at the start of every at bat?
    What happens when the mouse clicker loses his temper and wants to
    "send a message" the batter? lol.. just kidding.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Hasn't that been part of the game for like 100 years?

And now we're changing the strike zone so the system can measure it better?
    They've been gaming the strike zone since its inception. It's taken away the high strike and led to the outside strike call. The amorphous strike zone that we currently have isn't in the rule book. It's a notion, a Rorshach test.

Seems to me that a codified/standardized strike zone goes hand-in-hand with an automated system. It solves the problem you raised of bad data in. Don't contort yourself to ingest bad data, cut it out of the equation. The point is to eliminate silliness and make the game fairer.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You can almost tell by the posts on here who has real world experience implementing major systems/programs.

It is never as easy as flipping a switch on. There are probably hundreds of questions that need to be addressed and to pretend they don't exist is asking for trouble.
    I agree, it would not be something that could be done overnight.
    However, I have confidence they could roll it out in 3 years or less, including plenty of time testing in minor league stadiums.. 3 years seems like a pretty generous/safe timeline (It's a lot more time than most SW projects get).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If they need a physical point of reference to establish the height of the strike zone, couldn't they just implement a very small sensor as a standard required part of the uniform.
    The whole height issue could potentially easily be solved.
    Measure the players and their stances at the beginning for the year.
    Put that in a database.
    Votto comes to plate, the low mark and high mark strikezone are automatically set.

You'd only need a way to make sure the players didn't cheat during the measuring session.. Maybe have them hit against a pitching machine in spring training 15 times with sensors on their uniform..

The nice thing about this is that the player would have the exact same strikezone for the entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The whole height issue could potentially easily be solved.
    Measure the players and their stances at the beginning for the year.
    Put that in a database.
    Votto comes to plate, the low mark and high mark strikezone are automatically set.

You'd only need a way to make sure the players didn't cheat during the measuring session.. Maybe have them hit against a pitching machine in spring training 15 times with sensors on their uniform..

The nice thing about this is that the player would have the exact same strikezone for the entire year.
    Some guys, like Cal Ripken, always tinker with their stances. Just saying.

Turn Off Ads?