Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we need computers calling balls and strikes

Re: Why we need computers calling balls and strikes

It would be very very helpful to be able to see this system used in a live action game, at any level.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It would be very very helpful to be able to see this system used in a live action game, at any level.
    You can in every single game at the MLB level you have watched for the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can in every single game at the MLB level you have watched for the last 5 years.
    I believe he'd like to a game called with the technology as the arbitrator

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Being 97% accurate within the zone to 99% accurate "within an inch" of the zone doesn't seem to be improving by "leaps and bounds" to me.

That seems like a miniscule improvement in 5 years.
    You've already been corrected on the true percentages to use. You clearly want to use old data to justify your point of view.

The point that was being made is that technology is getting more and more accurate all the time. Every year the excuses for not using the technology get weaker and weaker.

As others have said, detecting whether or not a pitch is a ball or a strike is really rather easy by modern technological standards. Tech companies are routinely doing far more difficult measurements throughout many industries.

The technology is available if the leadership of MLB chooses to implement it. I think they will eventually, likely soon.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    You've already been corrected on the true percentages to use. You clearly want to use old data to justify your point of view.

The point that was being made is that technology is getting more and more accurate all the time. Every year the excuses for not using the technology get weaker and weaker.

As others have said, detecting whether or not a pitch is a ball or a strike is really rather easy by modern technological standards. Tech companies are routinely doing far more difficult measurements throughout many industries.

The technology is available if the leadership of MLB chooses to implement it. I think they will eventually, likely soon.
    Just as soon as the Yankees get a few bad strike calls in the World Series.

Expect those pesky things called umps are calling the balls and strikes in all those games you refer to.

Forget robotic umpires, we need to focus on exchanging Stubbs for a computer that won't chase the first two pitches down and away and then look at strike 3 down the middle.

I must say the system in tennis looks quite impressive and seems to work quickly.

Is a fixed strike zone feasible? One size fits all?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is a fixed strike zone feasible? One size fits all?
    I don't see why that would be necessary. You could simply measure every player's strikezone before the season and have the system adjust it during the game accordingly.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I don't see why that would be necessary. You could simply measure every player's strikezone before the season and have the system adjust it during the game accordingly.
    Factor in batting stances, crouches, mid-season call-ups from minors, etc. It's not as cut and dry as many seem to think.

And I'm still on the side of George on this one. It simply ain't gonna happen.

High five!

It should happen. Yes, there are complexities. No, that's not a reason not to do it.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It should happen. Yes, there are complexities. No, that's not a reason not to do it.
    I don't disagree with this. I don't think it "shouldn't" happen...only that it "won't" happen.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't disagree with this. I don't think it "shouldn't" happen...only that it "won't" happen.
    Oh it will happen, maybe in years, but count on it being there someday, my point is that hardware/software + people + cost will make the process slower than most want

I think most owners will not want their money going to it, they'd prefer to use it on their team or themselves

It's going to have to come from a general fund, be mandated and tested at lower levels

Never?

Never say never

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The only real thing keeping it from happening is people (umpires saying no way, players perhaps being wary about it, the higher ups in baseball resisting change). The money is already spent. The hardware and software is already in place and has been in every MLB stadium for 5+ years now (or however long a given ballpark has been open that is newer than that).

The only real thing keeping it from happening is people (umpires saying no way, players perhaps being wary about it, the higher ups in baseball resisting change). The money is already spent. The hardware and software is already in place and has been in every MLB stadium for 5+ years now (or however long a given ballpark has been open that is newer than that).
    Let's see it in action. I'm not gonna sign off on it without seeing a pilot.

Is it not fair to ask for a test drive (which is what most of the naysayers are probably asking for)? Very few seem to be anti-cyborg ump 100 percent.

Turn Off Ads?