Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Apparently Miami is also looking to trade Logan Morrison. That's a deal I could get behind.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...expected-to-go
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    What's the allure?

His twitter account?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The Marlins aren't trading Mike Stanton. He's the one player they can keep for relatively cheap for a few more years and still be used to draw some fans to the park.
    You are assuming Stanton won't tell them to trade him or he won't show up anyway. I think there's a fairly good chance he demands out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Apparently Miami is also looking to trade Logan Morrison. That's a deal I could get behind.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...expected-to-go
    I wonder what it would cost to take a flyer on LoMo? Maybe Lotzkar + LaMarre?

They certainly don't need middle infielders, but might need someone to man CF until Marisnick is ready.

LoMo could be a good buy low option for LF. He's 25, hits LH and sports a career .781 OPS despite a down year in 2012.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You are assuming Stanton won't tell them to trade him or he won't show up anyway. I think there's a fairly good chance he demands out of there.
    So?

He can't go anywhere

He has no grounds to demand a trade. He can demand all he wants. And the Marlins can tell him to pound sand and shut up and play.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

He has no grounds to demand a trade. He can demand all he wants. And the Marlins can tell him to pound sand and shut up and play.
    Intentionally tank it maybe? Operation Shutdown might have worked if Derek Bell was Giancarlo Stanton.

Intentionally tank it maybe? Operation Shutdown might have worked if Derek Bell was Giancarlo Stanton.
    You think a player is going to hurt his own arbitration value to get traded? I'm assuming you're kidding, yes?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

You think a player is going to hurt his own arbitration value to get traded? I'm assuming you're kidding, yes?
    Maybe hurt his bottom line a bit or definitely play in Miami for 4 more years?

I know which sounds worse to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Even if they wanted to, who is going to sign with them, particularly if you have a family? Oh, so if we don't put 2 million people in the seats or win a World Series, you are going to trade me after the season?
    I imagine some players are just after the biggest payday in FA.

Hypothetically, if you are Josh Hamilton and you only want the biggest payday.. if Miami gives you an extra 20 million over 5 years, would you turn that down to play for another team (who may end up trading you eventually?)

Even when a player gets a no-trade clause, he's often pressured to waive it for relatively little compensation. If he doesn't wave it, it becomes public and the fans turn on him.. I think that's why we are seeing more creative means of enforcing a no trade contract, such as Arroyo's escalation of deferred money if traded.. BTW, Arroyo is a good example of a player that got burned for "Taking less to stay at a place that he really wanted to".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to take a flyer on LoMo?
    A blow to the head affecting their judgment centers. LoMo heads up my list of terrible ballplayers who have to be completely exposed. He is the worst defensive OF in captivity and pitchers have figured out how to handle him. He's a Ben Grieve wannabe. I'd stay far, far away.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

What he can do is give the team bad press. All he has to do is continue to state the obvious about how the ownership sold out the players and the fans. He can add that he'll always bust his hump for the fans and for his teammates, but he'll be leaving the first chance he gets because he wants no part of playing for Jeff Loria.

For a team that's going to get little to no press, having its star player calling out the ownership for being a fraud could be poison at the turnstiles.

And all it may take is the threat that he's going to tell reporters what he thinks about the sad state of the franchise in order to punch his ticket out of town. The Marlins' boat isn't seaworthy enough to survive anyone rocking it.

Plus, imagine how smart the Marlins would be cashing in Stanton at the height of his value?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    What he can do is give the team bad press. All he has to do is continue to state the obvious about how the ownership sold out the players and the fans. He can add that he'll always bust his hump for the fans and for his teammates, but he'll be leaving the first chance he gets because he wants no part of playing for Jeff Loria.

For a team that's going to get little to no press, having its star player calling out the ownership for being a fraud could be poison at the turnstiles.

And all it may take is the threat that he's going to tell reporters what he thinks about the sad state of the franchise in order to punch his ticket out of town. The Marlins' boat isn't seaworthy enough to survive anyone rocking it.

Plus, imagine how smart the Marlins would be cashing in Stanton at the height of his value?
    You really think Stanton's comments make that trade look any worse? That trade was going to get bad press with or without Stanton's tweet. Yet those same fans will continue to come watch Stanton play regardless of what he says.

I think his comments added another thud/splat when we thought there wasn't another bounce after the splat. This is the fish dying, you see.

You really think Stanton's comments make that trade look any worse? That trade was going to get bad press with or without Stanton's tweet. Yet those same fans will continue to come watch Stanton play regardless of what he says.
    No, I think Stanton can make things uncomfortable for the Marlins moving forward. I doubt he will because it's Michael Jordan 101 to be docile, compliant and agreeable in order to maximize your earnings (malcontents don't sell Hanes t-shirts).

Yet he could make the ongoing news story with the Marlins that their star player doesn't want to participate in their sham. What Loria doesn't want, and many not want to risk, is ongoing bad publicity.

Turn Off Ads?