Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Re: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,2511400.story

“I’m upset with how things turned out in Miami,” Buehrle said. “Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I’m putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career.”
    “Throughout the recruiting process, the Marlins made repeated assurances about their long-term commitment to Mark and his family and their long-term commitment to building a winning tradition of Marlins baseball in the new stadium. This was demonstrated by their already completed signings of Ozzie, Heath Bell and Jose Reyes.

“At the same time, given the Marlins’ history, we were all certainly aware of and voiced concern about the lack of no-trade protection. This is unquestionably a business, and signing with the Marlins was a calculated risk. Mark held up his end of the bargain; unfortunately, the same can't be said of the Marlins.”
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

There is a reason why the Marlins refused to give a no trade clause. No one forced Reyes et al to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    There is a reason why the Marlins refused to give a no trade clause. No one forced Reyes et al to sign.
    Exactly. Sure, the Marlins may have said they had no intention to trade them, in the end there was nothing stopping them from changing there mind. Buerhle has been around the game long enough to know that unless there is a no trade contract, you could very well be traded.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

At the same time, it's awful business to tell the player that there is absolutely no intent to trade the player, and then do so 1 year into the deal. That is not honest. Does not sound like there was situation that they explained if they had an awful year they would look to deal these players. Obviously they would not want to say that because it would make the lack of a no trade deal less attractive.

The Marlins set the tone for the future, and I except that there shenanigans will be a pretty big roadblock in attracting marquee playersa (whether developed in house) or not to long term deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    At the same time, it's awful business to tell the player that there is absolutely no intent to trade the player, and then do so 1 year into the deal. That is not honest. Does not sound like there was situation that they explained if they had an awful year they would look to deal these players. Obviously they would not want to say that because it would make the lack of a no trade deal less attractive.

The Marlins set the tone for the future, and I except that there shenanigans will be a pretty big roadblock in attracting marquee playersa (whether developed in house) or not to long term deals.
    That's why you get it in writing. If these guys didn't want to be traded, they should have insisted on a no-trade clause. Players should know enough in this day and age not to take clubs at their word. Even if someone is honest, all it takes is a change of ownership or change of management with a different opinion and they could still be moved without anyone having lied.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's why you get it in writing. If these guys didn't want to be traded, they should have insisted on a no-trade clause. Players should know enough in this day and age not to take clubs at their word. Even if someone is honest, all it takes is a change of ownership or change of management with a different opinion and they could still be moved without anyone having lied.
    I'm not saying that the players should not have been ready for this situation.

I'm just saying that the Marlins, from a business perspective are not going to get very far by misleading players. If they want to be a reasonable destination for talent, and I would assume any team would want to be, this behavior is not going to win anyone over. I bet most players see them as untrustworthy, and a joke.

Nonetheless, you are right, the players only have so much to complain about. If being traded meant so much, presumably they would have been willing to take less dollars to sign with a different team willing to give the NTC. The dollars won out, so hard to feel too sorry.

I agree with you, Patrick. I'm just saying its happened enough in pro sports that players shouldn't be too surprised when it happens. Didn't Jimbo promise Shaw he wouldn't trade him then traded him to the Dodgers?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I agree with you, Patrick. I'm just saying its happened enough in pro sports that players shouldn't be too surprised when it happens. Didn't Jimbo promise Shaw he wouldn't trade him then traded him to the Dodgers?
    Yup, about 15 minutes later.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Marlins did a crummy thing here. Good luck landing free agents without paying a hefty premium in the future. Both on account of their lying and on their "blow-it-up" mentality.

But players need to be on top of things. If Mark didn't want to play in Toronto, the onus is on him to sign with a team offering a no-trade, not just take some snake-oil salesman word for it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

These shenanigans by the Marlins have pretty much doomed their franchise to eternal mediocrity or worse, IMHO. Good luck getting any quality free agent to sign there from here on out. Good luck extending Stanton to a contract now, like the Reds did Bruce/Cueto.

If I'm Stanton, I demand a trade now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    These shenanigans by the Marlins have pretty much doomed their franchise to eternal mediocrity or worse, IMHO. Good luck getting any quality free agent to sign there from here on out. Good luck extending Stanton to a contract now, like the Reds did Bruce/Cueto.

If I'm Stanton, I demand a trade now.
    Kinda like how it doomed then after the firesale in 1997?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    They aren't coming off a World Series title this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    They aren't coming off a World Series title this time.
    And they didn't just con the taxpayers into paying for a brand new stadium with the promise of the team being competitive.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Totally different circumstances. This is the THIRD time this has happened. They're trying to draw fans to that team that in the past have shunned them. Yes, they've lucked their way into a few world titles. Doesn't change the fact that they've alienated and killed most of their fanbase. They can't build a bond with any of their players. We've got Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Phillips, etc. The Reds can plaster those faces all over the city and say Come watch them play! And you know what? They'll be around a long, long time. Can the Marlins do that with ANYONE? Even Stanton? Really hurts them in marketing and in staying credible.

Turn Off Ads?